Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

Default Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions.

Caught the crawler bug from a Losi Trail Trekker, which was stolen almost a year ago. Now I must scratch the itch... My main problem is indecision, followed closely by budget.
I'm trying to stay around $300US, RTR (I like modding stock rigs, that I can play with right then)
I like the LNC, (loved my micro)
I like the SCX10 II (panhard bar and links)
I've got a rock pile, and I live in BFE, I can always carry it from one crawling spot to another, but I worry I might get bored with the pokey LNC, there's lots of flat ground on my land. Therefore, how does the SCX10 compare as a crawler, straight across, unmodified?
I'm aware that my questions might be asinine, but humor me please.
Quality of parts, speed, and all else aside, which is better on the rocks out of the box?
I'm not after a speed rig, if I was, I'd be replacing my stolen Slash(s), (1/10-4x4-MMP-goodies, and 1/16 4x4-bigblock Velenion-goodies) I had so much more fun, and replaced far fewer parts with the crawler. I want something bigger this time around. Speaking of parts, who has better support? I'm thinking Axial since I can't find much for the LNC.
As much as I like the Losi, I'm really leaning towards the Axial models.

Also, if there's enough of us in Northern AZ, I'd love to get together for a Rim Country Crawl, or even kick a racetrack into the ground for the speed rigs.

Last edited by MogollonMonster; 12-07-2016 at 08:49 PM.
MogollonMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions.

Welcome to the forum, man.

You're comparing two very different rigs, and the choice will ultimately come down to what you would prefer to do.
Do you want something scale-looking that more or less performs as such, or are you after balls-to-the-wall performance right outta the box?
Straight up, the LNC will be more capable than the SCX10 on account of its 2.2 wheels vs the 1.9s of the Axial, and the more performance oriented chassis.
I would suggest doing a bit more research, maybe watching a few videos of how each performs and then go from there.
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I own both and love both for different reasons. I like comp crawling more but I probably have 10x the hours and kilometres on my SCX10 as my Night Crawler. More people are into scale where I live and scale driving has was more trails and areas to go. I have to look a lot harder to find a spot for the Losi. If I had to give one up it would be the Losi just because I use it less.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #4

I believe the wife has made the decision for me. She pointed out last night that I spend more time crawling than anything like trailing. After she spent some time kicking around the web she also decided she likes the losi, therefore, my opinion is moot.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Even though this is by far not a stupid question you posted it in the correct area I am a noob to and I have driven several platforms owned by locals/buddies. I just ordered the SCX10 V2. I almost picked up the Vaterra Ascender (very fun to drive!) But the deciding factor came from my buddies advise and some research on the board. If USPS tracking is accurate my pile of goodies should show up today!!!!! Good luck with your choice fellow newbie.
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

My wife is excited, so I'm already happy. If she likes it, it can't be foolish, because she enjoys it. See, I figured this part out... There's a lesson to be learned here for all young men: if you can't make her smile, everyday, somebody else sure can. And will.

I'm only a noob at some stuff, not everything.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #7

So here's a noobish question despite earlier claims...

What 2s Lipo packs are you running, MAH-wise(for those who run 2s)?

Second, anybody got a clue what their pack weighs?

I'm shopping for new lipos and I'm curious what others are running and average run times. I've been through the losi threads, I get it, lube em up and keep em that way, I've had my IR thermometer for some time, so I can monitor temps in areas as small as an inch +/- .2°F. I figure I can keep things cool, but what run times are you getting with what pack?

Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terrible Yeti II terrible Axial Yeti 0 06-16-2015 02:52 PM
the terrible yeti terrible Axial Yeti 7 04-19-2015 03:20 PM
vp zero ackerman, terrible!!!!!! bubbaskyjacker Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 12-08-2010 11:44 AM
I'm looking for Terrible One! Going Up! Chit Chat 4 02-13-2006 07:26 PM