Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to RC...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 02:19 AM   #1

Question New to RC...

As the title states I'm new to the RC world, However, i've been offroading and working on trucks for years.
I've been looking at the AXIAL SCX10 platform since it seems to have a good basis for modifications and aftermarket bits.

I have a few questions for those who have been around the block.

Where do you all buy parts online? I live in Japan (for now) so I don't think the local hobby shop will stock many of the American brands.
What parts are good to stock up on? i.e. what breaks the most?
How durable are the bodies? Can they handle a long fall or do they crack?

Thanks for the responses, I tried to read through other newbie posts so I didn't fill this one with all my questions.
ogreCyques is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New to RC...

the scx10 is a pretty tough truck with a few upgrades. I like to beef up the tranny first and get rid of the plastic links, and a good servo never hurts. then I just upgrade as it breaks. as for parts look into RPP Hobbies or TCS crawlers. I have the original body on mine and its about 5 yrs old and has been thru hell and hasn't broke yet.

Last edited by crawlhog; 01-06-2017 at 04:37 PM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

As said yoi can make your own links with allthread and cover with brake tubing. Search site for homemade links.. [im on my cell or i would for ya]
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:01 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies all,
I'm excited to get into it.
Any advice on electronics? Axial sells the SXC10 Honcho with the remote and all that but it needs batteries. Is there much of adifference in the remotes or is the stock one good enough. Also is there a good brand of battery to stick with? or are they all about the same?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum and to crawling. A few thoughts for you to consider:
- The SCX10 platform is an excellent starting point, but it's worth going with the SCX10 II instead of the OG SCX10 for a few reasons. The II comes with a number of uprades (metal links, hardened ring/pinion gears, front universals, chassis mounted servo) that you have to (and in most cases would want to) buy separately with the OG SCX10. Another excellent starting point is the Vaterra Ascender. Both the kit and RTR versions come standard with hardened tranny gears, CVDs, all aluminum links, and durable ring/pinion gears in the axles. From a durability perspective, it doesn't need any upgrades.
- If you're going with an SCX10 and your budget and patience permit, I recommend starting with the II kit. The II kit includes a few upgrades (durable metal links, hardened tranny and t-case gears instead of plastic tanny gears) that you'd end up paying separately for if you buy the RTR.
- If you buy an SCX10 RTR (whether OG SCX10 or SCX10 II), I'd recommend replacing the tranny gears immediately. On the OG SCX10, replacing the front dog bones with CVDs and replacing all of the plastic links with metal links will make a big difference in performance and durability. If you buy an Ascender RTR, you don't need to worry about any of that.
- Stock Axial (and Vaterra) RTR electronics are decent and certainly workable for a while. Upgrading to a good aftermarket radio and ESC will give you more adjustability and programming options, upgrading to a good hi-torque (250 oz or higher) servo will improve steering significantly, and upgrading to a good brushed or sensored brushless motor can improve low-speed resolution and torque. If you end up getting an RTR, I'd suggest starting with the steering servo first (usually in conjunction with a BEC to power the servo) and then doing the rest as you see fit.

As far as where to purchase, don't discount your LHS for Axial products and parts. They are definitely a global brand and by far the most popular for this type of vehicle. For online retailers, check out AsiaTees and RCMart. Both are based in Asia and very reputable. RC4WD also makes a huge assortment of hop-ups, and they have an Asian distribution center. Once you're back in the states, RPP, Tower and AMain are all great places to buy online.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by new2rocks; 01-07-2017 at 08:44 PM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #6

Wow Thanks for the reply David, definitely considering the SCX10 II. I went around to a couple LHSs today and all I could find was yokomo, tamiya, and kyosho. There were some good looking offroad buggies and short course trucks, but no crawlers.

What kind of battery time do you all get? Charge up and run down time?
What kind of tools am I going to need? All the tools i have already are full socket sets and wrenches but theyre for a fullsize truck.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreCyques View Post
Wow Thanks for the reply David, definitely considering the SCX10 II. I went around to a couple LHSs today and all I could find was yokomo, tamiya, and kyosho. There were some good looking offroad buggies and short course trucks, but no crawlers.

What kind of battery time do you all get? Charge up and run down time?
What kind of tools am I going to need? All the tools i have already are full socket sets and wrenches but theyre for a fullsize truck.
Interesting that the LHSs aren't stocking crawlers. I know there are active groups in HK, Singapore and elsewhere. They'll catch on at some point, lol.

Re batteries, definitely go LiPo. Run times vary widely depending on the size pack and the rest of your setup. I really like the Helios RC 3500 3S pack as I usually get 3+ hrs out of it and it's small enough not to compromise performance much. I also run 2200 and 3000 3S packs and get 2-3 hours from those. If I know I'm going to be out for a long day, I might run a 5200 3S pack (4+ hrs of runtime easily), but it's heavy and can affect handling at the limits so I only use those when max handling performance isn't a priority. My recommendation to start would be to pick up a couple of 3000-3500 mAh 3S packs. They'll fit easily in your truck without a ton of unnecessary weight, and having the spare pack will give you plenty of run time for longer outings.

Charge times depend on the charge amperage (C) rating, how far you've discharged your battery, and regular charge vs. balance charge (balance is much slower). 30-60 minutes for a normal (non-balance) charge is typical.

As for tools, a good set of hex drivers is a must. I have a couple of sets on my bench (A set of Integy handles with Hudy and RC4WD tips to replace the not-so-good Integy tips, and a set of RC4WD). For out on the trail, I like the Associated FT set to keep in my bag:
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...ex_driver_set/

Other tools I use frequently include straight and bent needle-nose pliers, a Dremel with different shaped grinding tips (I like the one that looks like a rounded cone), utility knife with plenty of fresh blades, a hobby knife with plenty of fresh blades, good straight scissors, curved Lexan body cutting scissors, a body reamer, a good soldering iron, and a heat gun. I could go on and on, but you get the picture...
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #8

OK so Electronics, I'm looking at remotes and ESCs and receivers.
Can somebody give me a basic rundown of what all is needed, and what it does? I think I got the basics... remote goes to receiver, goes to ESC? goes to motor?
Secondly what is the difference in a 2channel vs 3 channel vs 4 channel remote? Besides the obvious number of channels.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
OK so Electronics, I'm looking at remotes and ESCs and receivers.
Can somebody give me a basic rundown of what all is needed, and what it does? I think I got the basics... remote goes to receiver, goes to ESC? goes to motor?
Secondly what is the difference in a 2channel vs 3 channel vs 4 channel remote? Besides the obvious number of channels.
the number of channels tells u how much functionality u can transfer between remote and receiver.
minimum needed 2channels: steering(Servo) and throttle(ESC)
with 3 channel u can for example control a winch or as i do a gear shift servo

to start the gt3b is a nice remote control round 30$ and with basic computer and soldering knowledge u can upgrade the firmware and expand it up to 8 channels.
I will use 6 channels for my yeti if i manage the setup st/th, shift between 1. and 2. gear, drag brake, headlights and winch.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #10

Thanks! So what are all the other eletronics needed?

Sent from my SCL23 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
RCC Addict

you need an remote control, receiver,esc, motor, steering servo and a batterie (LIPO) maybe an bec depending on your choosen servo.

best is to read thru a couple of the build threads in the scx10 scx10.2 section here.

which electronics u choose then is depending on your budget.

and u need good tools!
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #12

Thanks all for the replys, Hoping to purchase soon so I can start building and crawling!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
waw
Quarry Creeper

in asia you can look up RCmart / Asiatees for online parts..

Last edited by waw; 01-10-2017 at 07:39 PM.
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks! So what are all the other eletronics needed?

Sent from my SCL23 using Tapatalk

you shoul read out this thread >>> HERE and HERE ALSO
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #15

I've been looking, What is a good 2 speed trans? I think It'd help me get more out of the truck as an all around RC and not just a crawler.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:25 AM   #16
I joined the Band!

Quote:
I've been looking, What is a good 2 speed trans? I think It'd help me get more out of the truck as an all around RC and not just a crawler.
just remember that a 2 speed then requires and additional channel and servo to control the 2 speed shifting.

another thing to note is that hand wound motors can produce more efficient results. I am not running one yet but will be eventually.

example is say a 35t hand wound motor would have the power of a 55t (which im running now) but would also have the speed of the 35t. so you could do a 2 speed or a nice hand wound motor may also get you the same results.
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

If you are buying, an SCX10ii "kit" would be my choice.

You can look to ebay, there are a lot of Chinese & Hongkong retailers there.

Hobby King, RC Mart will have misc stuff & are a lot closer to you also.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Welcome to the forum and to crawling. A few thoughts for you to consider:
- The SCX10 platform is an excellent starting point, but it's worth going with the SCX10 II instead of the OG SCX10 for a few reasons. The II comes with a number of uprades (metal links, hardened ring/pinion gears, front universals, chassis mounted servo) that you have to (and in most cases would want to) buy separately with the OG SCX10. Another excellent starting point is the Vaterra Ascender. Both the kit and RTR versions come standard with hardened tranny gears, CVDs, all aluminum links, and durable ring/pinion gears in the axles. From a durability perspective, it doesn't need any upgrades.
- If you're going with an SCX10 and your budget and patience permit, I recommend starting with the II kit. The II kit includes a few upgrades (durable metal links, hardened tranny and t-case gears instead of plastic tanny gears) that you'd end up paying separately for if you buy the RTR.
- If you buy an SCX10 RTR (whether OG SCX10 or SCX10 II), I'd recommend replacing the tranny gears immediately. On the OG SCX10, replacing the front dog bones with CVDs and replacing all of the plastic links with metal links will make a big difference in performance and durability. If you buy an Ascender RTR, you don't need to worry about any of that.
- Stock Axial (and Vaterra) RTR electronics are decent and certainly workable for a while. Upgrading to a good aftermarket radio and ESC will give you more adjustability and programming options, upgrading to a good hi-torque (250 oz or higher) servo will improve steering significantly, and upgrading to a good brushed or sensored brushless motor can improve low-speed resolution and torque. If you end up getting an RTR, I'd suggest starting with the steering servo first (usually in conjunction with a BEC to power the servo) and then doing the rest as you see fit.

As far as where to purchase, don't discount your LHS for Axial products and parts. They are definitely a global brand and by far the most popular for this type of vehicle. For online retailers, check out AsiaTees and RCMart. Both are based in Asia and very reputable. RC4WD also makes a huge assortment of hop-ups, and they have an Asian distribution center. Once you're back in the states, RPP, Tower and AMain are all great places to buy online.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
X2, great advice and check out the Vaterra Ascender too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote