Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Water damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Default Water damage

G'day fellas

New here. 1st forum thing ever. Got a question I'm sure you have all heard. But I could not find anything in the advanced search.

I have a wraith spawn and like to play in mud and water but don't really have an idea on what part has gone on it.

When I turn on the car it beeps and a red light turns on. But nothing else happens. No response to the steering no acceleration so I don't know if it's the esc or the receiver or what. Maybe something different I just don't know.

If anyone has been through this before and has any idea that would be much appreciated

Cheers
slayer0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Water damage

Sounds like esc to me.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:38 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer0666 View Post
G'day fellas

New here. 1st forum thing ever. Got a question I'm sure you have all heard. But I could not find anything in the advanced search.

I have a wraith spawn and like to play in mud and water but don't really have an idea on what part has gone on it.

When I turn on the car it beeps and a red light turns on. But nothing else happens. No response to the steering no acceleration so I don't know if it's the esc or the receiver or what. Maybe something different I just don't know.

If anyone has been through this before and has any idea that would be much appreciated

Cheers

Rebind although it should not be necessary. Check your esc connection to your receiver and make sure the esc lead is plugged in securely. Most esc's have a failsafe that won't allow the esc to arm until it receive's signal from the transmitter.
UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #4

Thanks fellas. I'll give that a go and see what happens
Cheers
Old 02-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like the reciever. Take it out, open up the case and look for corrosion on the circuit board. I've killed more than one reciever die to water. I've gotten in the habit of using conformal coating on all of my recievers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
Rebind although it should not be necessary. Check your esc connection to your receiver and make sure the esc lead is plugged in securely. Most esc's have a failsafe that won't allow the esc to arm until it receive's signal from the transmitter.
None of mine work that way...if you turn on the truck without first turning on the transmitter, not only will it arm, wait a few seconds and it might take off...if you have the fail safe set on the rx...it will be less likely to run off...unless the rx is bad, then only the shadow knows
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
None of mine work that way...if you turn on the truck without first turning on the transmitter, not only will it arm, wait a few seconds and it might take off...if you have the fail safe set on the rx...it will be less likely to run off...unless the rx is bad, then only the shadow knows

Thanks for the info!

Castle and Hobbywing are the most common that have a arming failsafe. My hobbywing wp1080 has it on my crawler. I fly a lot of heli's and arming failsafes are on every esc produced for obvious safety reasons. I'm not sure on crawler esc's but it's a good feature to have.

Last edited by UGLY; 02-18-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Well, i am using the axial AE-5 ESC on my 4 remaining crawlers....

Last edited by allanon1965; 02-18-2017 at 01:11 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

10-4, it's always good to have the correct info
Old 02-23-2017, 03:41 AM   #10

After doing a bit tinkering I found the problem was the servo that went. As I was checking out the receiver I unplugged the servo and I got power to the wheels plugged the servo back in and all was gone again.

So now getting a new metal geared waterproof servo I found on eBay for pretty cheap so I'll see how that goes

Cheers for the advice fellas and happy crawling and mud bashing
Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitwhatsthat? View Post
Sounds like the reciever. Take it out, open up the case and look for corrosion on the circuit board. I've killed more than one reciever die to water. I've gotten in the habit of using conformal coating on all of my recievers.
Yes, buy waterproof rx or easy to conformal coat the board yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
Castle and Hobbywing are the most common that have a arming failsafe. My hobbywing wp1080 has it on my crawler. I fly a lot of heli's and arming failsafes are on every esc produced for obvious safety reasons. I'm not sure on crawler esc's but it's a good feature to have.
Both my Ascender RTR esc arm without tx turned on, these are basically Hobbywing wp1060 ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer0666 View Post
As I was checking out the receiver I unplugged the servo and I got power to the wheels plugged the servo back in and all was gone again.

So now getting a new metal geared waterproof servo I found on eBay for pretty cheap so I'll see how that goes
Bad servo can do that, glad you got it figured out.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

10-4. Both my Hobbywing WP1080's do not arm unless they receive signal from the tx. Also my Hobbywing Platinum 60a and 120a v4 do not arm.

Last edited by UGLY; 02-23-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Water damage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water damage mac1093 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 08-11-2009 11:36 PM
Water Damage run2jeepn Electronics 7 04-06-2007 11:50 PM
Water Damage NHWHEELER Electronics 5 12-29-2006 05:26 PM
Water Damage NHWHEELER Newbie General 4 12-27-2006 08:47 AM
Possible water damage Sean General Crawlers 5 10-16-2005 09:16 AM