Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #1

Default New here

Hello I am new to the sport of rock crawlering. I was talking to a new friend in a loud bar and discovered that We both are into rc rock crawlers. Both are completely new to rc crawlers. He told me his is 1/16th and the next day I ordered a 1/18th thinking thats what he had. It came in and its almost identical to his. Mine is the HSP v2 18th his is redcat 16th. Only difference is the tires and color.
So what is the real scale? Whats the tire size? Is there a stock class? How do we find competition near us? We both just ordered 10th scale crawlers he got another redcat and I got the Integy IROCK 10 are they going to be the same size?
Sorry for all the questions all at once.

Thanks for help.
Chuck_Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #2

Default Re: New here

Your best bet is to google/search for these answers. Scale in trucks can be advertised different, but when you compare them side by side they are close or the same. Just search for the trucks specs and compare measurements. Sorry I cant help you with competition info, try searching for it too.

And welcome!
originalsledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Your best bet is to go by your local hobby shop and ask about local crawler/scaler clubs, they will be able to point you in the right direction. Also, look at the bottom of the forums, there are regional threads for many areas. Lastly, and not the popular answer on these here forums, look on FaceBook for crawler groups in your area.

It sounds like you have an eye for competing, and most likely there is a scale crawling club in your area that holds comps. Unfortunately, none of the RCs you mentioned would be able to be ran in a scale comp (assuming the club goes by SORRCA rule, link below), and pure crawling comps are rare in most areas. But, talk to the organizers of your local group, let them know what you have and see if they don't in fact run a class that your trucks will fit in, competitions normally happen once a month. Also, if your local group is like mine, there are trail runs and get-togethers happening most weekends, and most days of the week.

As far as "scale" goes, specifications for a 1/10 crawler/scaler are pretty loose. The rule books for crawling and scale comps reign in the specifications for the trucks.

Hope this helps.

SORRCA.com

Last edited by Greatscott; 05-26-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Your best bet is to go by your local hobby shop and ask about local crawler/scaler clubs, they will be able to point you in the right direction. Also, look at the bottom of the forums, there are regional threads for many areas. Lastly, and not the popular answer on these here forums, look on FaceBook for crawler groups in your area.

It sounds like you have an eye for competing, and most likely there is a scale crawling club in your area that holds comps. Unfortunately, none of the RCs you mentioned would be able to be ran in a scale comp (assuming the club goes by SORRCA rule, link below), and pure crawling comps are rare in most areas. But, talk to the organizers of your local group, let them know what you have and see if they don't in fact run a class that your trucks will fit in, competitions normally happen once a month. Also, if your local group is like mine, there are trail runs and get-togethers happening most weekends, and most days of the week.

As far as "scale" goes, specifications for a 1/10 crawler/scaler are pretty loose. The rule books for crawling and scale comps reign in the specifications for the trucks.

Hope this helps.

SORRCA.com
Unfortunately we don't have any hobby shops in Klamath, the nearest one is in Medford. We have a rc club but they are strictly racing, I will check out Medford.
I am working on a Axial SCX10 right now because I have hopes of doing a trail recon one day. I am planning to go up to Wenatchee this June to see what it's all about.

Thanks for the replies

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Chuck_Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Curtis View Post
Unfortunately we don't have any hobby shops in Klamath, the nearest one is in Medford. We have a rc club but they are strictly racing, I will check out Medford.
I am working on a Axial SCX10 right now because I have hopes of doing a trail recon one day. I am planning to go up to Wenatchee this June to see what it's all about.

Thanks for the replies

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Hey Chuck, a friend of mine is Sir Irie and he is in KFalls. He builds parts for the Twin Hammer, and is into crawling. He may be able to point you in the right direction and maybe give you some pointers for availability of parts in your area. And I live in Oakridge. Welcome to the crawling world!
Ernie
His link:
IRIE Products
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote