Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: what is the reason for a solid axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #1

Default what is the reason for a solid axle

i am just curious is all i like sooooooooooo many others am new to this and have a dominator . i was going to use parts from that to make a crawler,but i see everyone going with solid axle is it because the dogbones wont hold up to the torque. have more ? but just wanted to start with this for now . thank you for you time
davcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Solid axles are the easiest to:
A- mechanically lock so power is transferred to both wheels full-time
B- incorporate into a chassis design, either stick or link
Don't get me wrong, lots of guys here have made capable crawlers from independant-suspension chassis, it just takes more work usually. One rig that stands out in my memory was a Revo that had essentially been hacked into 3 pieces. The front and rear ends were mated to a stick chassis w/ pivots in the center, and the A-arms were pinned in the full extended position so they could'nt move. The superior breakover ability of a stick chassis combined with the added ground clearance of the pinned A-arm axles vs. a straight solid axle.
Solid axles still have to transfer torque to the wheels via a shaft, like an independant design uses dogbones. Breakage issues are probably equal in either design. Apply more torque than they are designed to handle, and they'll break. You can get stronger aftermarket shafts for most solid axles nowadays, though.

Last edited by Big Mike; 01-31-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 AM   #3

ok thank you .. i will keep looking for parts and more parts then . just seems overwhelming to the novice . i guess. i started in nitro and have breathing problems from running the nitro. the fumes i can't take so going electric . this is a whole new ball game for me as i do not know much about them and the different components that will work together . again thank you for your time
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

solid axles put more force on the opposite axle. When one wheel goes up, it forces the other down. Also, it raises the diff up higher when articulating. Unlike IFS, the diff stays the same, lower or sometimes raise a little bit. So a solid axle allows for more clearance.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

same reason most real off road trucks and crawlers use one
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #6

ok . thankyou now im getting the pic of how it all works .
Old 02-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

indy or solid axles lock the same way, they both have the same diff components. its all about forced artic of the opposite wheel. you can make lock the indy into a high centered diff axle and have somthing decent for a solid axle rig.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

IFS/IRS has many moving parts to have to repair, fix or replace when damaged. Solid axle has fewer moving parts to worry about. That is one major thing to look at.

Another thing is that most solid axle rigs can be build to have a super low center of gravity. Building a IFS/IRS rig means that your weight is going to be higher and that weight will be moving around a lot more while crawling.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #9

I think theres the cool factor w/solids to. They look more like the real deal,
Old One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
solid axles put more force on the opposite axle. When one wheel goes up, it forces the other down. Also, it raises the diff up higher when articulating. Unlike IFS, the diff stays the same, lower or sometimes raise a little bit. So a solid axle allows for more clearance.
What he said That's why in the 1:1 world you don't see any IFS rock Crawlers.

Rob
FELIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

bite your tongue Felix, there are 1:1 IFS and IRS crawlers, and they can be made to crawl well, even win comps. I have been wanting to build an rc IFS/IRS rig for a while but like others have said its realy hard to get the same traction and low center of gravit that you get with solid.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #12

Because IFS/IRS SUCKS!!!
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #13

i had attempted to do this crawler with the parts i had from a nitro truck i wanted to use the diffs and hubs because i had rebuilt them and locked them . just figured if i had parts why not use them and then buy what ever else i would need like a frame ..... i had got a stamped electric truck used for the tranny and some of the electronics but only thing that was any good was the tranny and motor. .

now seeings with the two axles you guys suggest to use are gone to be no longer made what do you start with now . any idea's..
Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

what nitro truck are you planning on useing the parts from?
ON THE FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #15

the donator truck is a ofna dominator, it still runns but i have one other nirto mbx from ofna so i wanted to turn the dominator parts into a crawler and change to electric for power source. i have a stampede donor truck for parts also i just need to figure out how to make the parts work and what frame to start with.