Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Good 2nd truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Good 2nd truck

Alright, I have the Traxxas TRX 4, and so far so good. But now I would like to get a "more" scaled truck, and in kit form.
Reading as much as I can, but the waters are getting muddier, the more I read. I will not be doing any competitions, kind of a loner, and having a five acre pit, I've got plenty of room to play...,
Have charger, batteries, will need another set of electronics, but that would be after I get the truck.
So, what would you all recommend? I want to build this one. Back when I started in the RC world, everything was kit form, and I remember how much enjoyment I got out of the building process.
Would like to stay under $500. So ALL the opinions will be appreciated.
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
clm
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Good 2nd truck

If you want something more scale I would suggest looking for a leaf sprung kit like one of the RC4wd kits.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #3

RC4WD Trail Finder 2 or Gelande II would be good choices if you want all-metal, scale looking trucks that have less performance. CrossRC is a new name, but their kits are amazing.

If you want scale, but with performance checkout the Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10 II.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I wouldnt say the RC4WD kits are less performing. Box stock form I would agree but you can easily tweak and tune the kits and get a lot of performance out of them.

I will say it may cost a little in terms of upgrades but there are a few people on here that are winning comps with a Trail Finder 2.

If you go with a TF 2 my first recommended upgrades would be

1: Axial WB8 Drive Shafts from an OG SCX10
2: Gelende II front Shock hoops
3: Revovler Shackles.

After that it would be reading up on how to tune a leaf sprung vehicle and then learning to drive it differently
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I love my Vaterra Ascenders. Great performance out of the box. I've been pondering an RC4WD kit for my next rig though. So, you couldn't really go wrong there either.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #6

Those CrossRC kits look awesome! I would say, go with an RC4WD kit, one of those flashy CrossRC kits, or a good ol fashioned Axial kit. I had a blast building my Wraith a few years ago, but if you're looking for scale, maybe the SCX10 or SCX10 II if you wanted to go with Axial. Otherwise, RC4WD TF2, or something from CrossRC.
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
clm
Quarry Creeper

There is also the smaller MST RC models with a Tamiya body mounted.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
I wouldnt say the RC4WD kits are less performing. Box stock form I would agree but you can easily tweak and tune the kits and get a lot of performance out of them.
I will say that. An RC4WD kit won't hold a candle to an SCX10 or Ascender. Sure, you can tune the RC4WD stuff to be surprisingly capable, but the weight and hard bodies hold back the performance.

If you want a leaf spring rig also look at the GMade Sawback. It's one of the most underrated trucks out there in terms of durability and performance for a leaf spring rig.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
clm
Quarry Creeper

Without a doubt they do not perform like a TRX SCX10 or Ascender... but they tend to be much more scale

Rc4wd, Cross RC, and a few Tamiya kits tend to max out the scale factor.

An Ascender or Scx10.2 will be more or less the same performance wise as he already has in the TRX barring some tweaking of them here or there.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I will say that. An RC4WD kit won't hold a candle to an SCX10 or Ascender. Sure, you can tune the RC4WD stuff to be surprisingly capable, but the weight and hard bodies hold back the performance.

If you want a leaf spring rig also look at the GMade Sawback. It's one of the most underrated trucks out there in terms of durability and performance for a leaf spring rig.
Apologies, I misread/misinterpreted you initial post.

You are correct. The RC4WD kits will not perform as well as the SCX10s and the like but you trade that for realism/scale. I wouldnt let that sway anyone from getting one. They are great kits and work really well. Especially if you like to tweak, tinker, and tune
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
clm
Quarry Creeper

Or classic Minis... >.<

Good 2nd truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jwall's 2nd truck happens to be a bomber! jwall046 Axial RR10 Bomber 33 02-22-2016 04:33 AM
CowRC Sponsored 2nd Annual Keystone RC Scale Top Truck Challenge!! Team CowRC Competitions 0 09-12-2014 06:26 PM
2nd Annual Curtis Bautista Jr. Memorial R/C Top Truck Challenge garage5 Hawaii 114 04-18-2012 12:00 AM