Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Holmes brushed motor selection help??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Default Holmes brushed motor selection help??

I am getting into RC after a 20 year hibernation and a lot has changed. Anyway I ended up buying the Axial scx10 ii kit to build this winter. I think I have everything but the motor.

Sort of narrowed it down to a Holmes motor from all my reading but which one is very confusing. I even looked at their page and didn't clear much up

Right now I will mostly used this around the house, wooded hiking trails, not any major rock hills until I find someplace to run them or a group to hang with. So I guess an average duty motor? I have the Hobbywing 1080 esc and a 2s battery but may upgrade to 3s someday?

My confusion is there are several models to pick from. Wanting to keep cost down I was thinking Trailmaster or Torquemaster series? A confusing post I read (and can't find again) said something to the effect that the # of turns on one series was equal to a different # on the other?? Then there is the difference between 540 & 550 size? What happens when/if I change from 2s to 3s battery?

With all this in mind what might be the best one to order??

Hope this makes sense cuz I'm sure confussed

Thank you
skyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #2

Default Re: Holmes brushed motor selection help??

For a light trailing rig a sealed can like the RC4WD 35T motor or Holmes Trailmaster Sport will do just fine. It's cheap, you don't have to care about it or maintain it and you can run it through water without worrying about killing expensive brushes. They are inexpensive and disposable motors that work fine for general crawing and, IMO, they are a great start.

I have upgraded some of my brushed trucks to the Holmes Crawlmaster 13T and the Team Brood Specter 13T. They definitely have a lot more power and performance, but fast brush wear is a potential issue.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Rest assured that any motor from my catalog will be a good choice.

Trailmaster sport is always a great choice for budget and getting into things. I would suggest the 27t 550 to start out.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Trailmaster sport is always a great choice for budget and getting into things. I would suggest the 27t 550 to start out.
Thank you, Here is a piece of your motor chart
TrailMaster 540 35t
TrailMaster 550 27t
Both are shown to be about equal? This is part of what I get confused about. Is there a relationship between #turns and case size?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjockey View Post
Thank you, Here is a piece of your motor chart
TrailMaster 540 35t
TrailMaster 550 27t
Both are shown to be about equal? This is part of what I get confused about. Is there a relationship between #turns and case size?
A larger can will usually yield a higher torque. For example the 27t 550 can will give similar torque to the 35t 540 can while still giving the wheel speed of a 27t 540 can.
moondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondaddy View Post
A larger can will usually yield a higher torque. For example the 27t 550 can will give similar torque to the 35t 540 can while still giving the wheel speed of a 27t 540 can.
I actually believe the 27t 550can will have similar wheel speed to the 35t 540 can, but will have more torque. 27t 540 can would be faster than both.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:

This ^^^

.......and on 2s will be just fine with a good balance of torque and wheel speed.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I actually believe the 27t 550can will have similar wheel speed to the 35t 540 can, but will have more torque. 27t 540 can would be faster than both.
You may be right, I based this off my basher. 550 12t pushes my truck faster than the 540 15t it replaced. Gearing stayed the same. Could have been the stocker was an under performer
moondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:19 AM   #9

Quote:

Thanks everyone,
Decided to go with the Holme 540 35t Trailmaster.
One reason was the place I was ordering stuff from had this one
Second, read a few posts that the 550 is slightly too big for this chassis and needed modification?
Ill give this 540 some time and if I get into it enough can upgrade once I learn more
Old 12-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
For a light trailing rig a sealed can like the RC4WD 35T motor or Holmes Trailmaster Sport will do just fine. It's cheap, you don't have to care about it or maintain it and you can run it through water without worrying about killing expensive brushes. They are inexpensive and disposable motors that work fine for general crawing and, IMO, they are a great start.

I have upgraded some of my brushed trucks to the Holmes Crawlmaster 13T and the Team Brood Specter 13T. They definitely have a lot more power and performance, but fast brush wear is a potential issue.
Honestly my Crawlmaster 13T brushes have lost 10% in a year of hard trailing on a 12lbs 6 wheels trucks
ColdFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFox View Post
Honestly my Crawlmaster 13T brushes have lost 10% in a year of hard trailing on a 12lbs 6 wheels trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFox View Post
Everybody's mileage while very hence why I said "potential" issue.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The Crawlmaster 13T is probably THE BEST brushed crawler motor out there IMHO. Ran it in my Wraith and loved it. I did just upgrade to a PullerPro and BLE though, so definitely looking forward to that! I also really like my Torquemaster 30T that I run in my AX10. Hard to go wrong with any of the HH stuff provided you gear properly.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Holmes brushed motor selection help?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New brushed motor paraphernalia and parts at Holmes JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 28 06-06-2019 10:41 PM
Help picking a Holmes Brushed Motor joe.bielski Electronics 11 07-27-2015 10:53 PM
Brushed motor selection? novacayne75 Vaterra Twin Hammers 26 04-21-2013 09:26 PM