RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Which transmitter do you use? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/593898-transmitter-do-you-use.html)

Hayden88 01-09-2018 08:54 PM

Which transmitter do you use?

Hey guys, I want to know what kind of transmitter you guys are using. I've fly planes and have been for a while. I purchased a SCX10 II and I'm using my Taranis Q X7.
I'm curious to see if anyone else is using a different type of transmitter.

Col_Sanders 01-09-2018 09:44 PM

Re: Which transmitter do you use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden88 (Post 5785879)
Hey guys, I want to know what kind of transmitter you guys are using. I've fly planes and have been for a while. I purchased a SCX10 II and I'm using my Taranis Q X7.
I'm curious to see if anyone else is using a different type of transmitter.

Most people run pistol grip radios for crawlers.

I'm running a few Tactic radios that are included in Axial or ARRMA RTRs, but my main radio is a Futaba 4PLS. I am probably going to be switching over to a Spektrum DX5R before too long.

StomperCrawler 01-09-2018 09:56 PM

Firmware-hacked & hardware-modded 99-model 8-channel $40 Flysky GT3B.

Adding: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html

Hayden88 01-09-2018 09:57 PM

Why switch to spectrum, isnt futaba 4pls a better radio? A lot of people are telling me this

Neil2704 01-09-2018 09:58 PM

I have a few fly sky fs-gt3b's for my crawlers and I just ordered two magideal tg3's for my other rcs which looks like spectrum ripoffs. But they haven't shown up yet

spoo76 01-09-2018 10:34 PM

I've been running hacked gt3bs since the firmware was released almost 8 years ago with no problems.
They have up to 8 channels, the 3,6, and 8 channel receivers are very inexpensive and easy to find.
Almost any button can be mapped to any channel. The buttons can act as 2 position, 3 position, long press, momentary, multi position step rate (in any order) and there are mixing options for 4 wheel steering and dual ESCs.
I'm sure there's more than I'm forgetting, but once hacked these $35 radios offer more than even the expensive radios

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Jim85IROC 01-10-2018 06:15 AM

I run a bunch of the cheaper FlySky radios, and I've also got a couple of the Radiolink RC3S/RC4G radios, and a pile of the RTR radios of various kinds. I'm really a big fan of the Radiolink radios, but I've been wanting to try a hacked Flysky for a while now.

smog 01-10-2018 06:31 AM

Spektrum mostly. I have a couple of Tactic that came with and are blinded to RTR’s.

svt923 01-10-2018 06:57 AM

Many of them.

Airtronics, Futaba, Spektrum, and a hacked Flysky are the ones I mostly use.

I also have a Radiolink I got in a trade that I haven't used yet and a swarm of RTR radios that have been accumulated.

The Flysky is basically reserved for trucks requiring more than 4 channels. The programming sucks but the capabilities are awesome. The Spektrum gets used for basic trucks that usually only require 2 channels and I don't mind loaning out to other. The fast stuff mainly gets the Airtronics gear but I use it on a few scalers as well since it easy to set up and the receivers are so small compared to other brands. The Futaba is relatively new but I like the programming and it is quite comfortable to hold, I'll be using it more in the future.

JatoTheRipper 01-10-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden88 (Post 5785903)
Why switch to spectrum, isnt futaba 4pls a better radio? A lot of people are telling me this

The word "better" is so subjective. Yes, typically Airtronics/Sanwa and Futaba are higher end radios than Spektrum. But they are also more expensive and that's especially true when it comes to the price of receivers.

I run Spektrum and a Turnigy TS4G on the trails.

Inspector86 01-10-2018 10:31 AM

I'm one of those running a hacked GT3C. A friend of mine uses a stick controller with his SCX10 II and he prefers it over the pistol style. I have tried driving his rig and while it is intuitive to a certain degree I prefer the pistol grip style.

LSXGMC 01-10-2018 10:38 AM

I had a Futaba 4PLS but it was way too complicated for what I needed, so I ordered a new Spektrum DX5C which I just picked up about an hour ago. I opted for the 6ch version so I can use that receiver in my TRX-4.

makya 01-10-2018 10:39 AM

I also run a GT3C, but with a hardware hack instead of the firmware. i have 3 extra potentiometers and 3, 3-way toggles that are added on through a DasMikro converter sold on banggood. I like the convenience of having every channel instantly available instead of having to use the menu on the firmware hacked version. The other reason it works for me is that my extra channels don't require fine adjustment, and with the winch on a 3-way toggle, I don't have to worry about the line creeping in or out on me.

Col_Sanders 01-10-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden88 (Post 5785903)

I want at least one more channel. Not a whole lot of options for pistol grip radios with 5+ channels. Futaba jumps from 4 channels up to 7 and the price on the Futaba 7PX is just stupid.

Jim85IROC 01-10-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col_Sanders (Post 5786176)
I want at least one more channel. Not a whole lot of options for pistol grip radios with 5+ channels. Futaba jumps from 4 channels up to 7 and the price on the Futaba 7PX is just stupid.

Another option is the new 6 channel radiolink. It's basically an RC4G with a couple toggle switches added. It doesn't seem to be everywhere yet, but it's out in the wild from a few sellers.

https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...=All&id=147194

spoo76 01-10-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makya (Post 5786112)
I also run a GT3C, but with a hardware hack instead of the firmware. i have 3 extra potentiometers and 3, 3-way toggles that are added on through a DasMikro converter sold on banggood. I like the convenience of having every channel instantly available instead of having to use the menu on the firmware hacked version. The other reason it works for me is that my extra channels don't require fine adjustment, and with the winch on a 3-way toggle, I don't have to worry about the line creeping in or out on me.

I'm curious about what you mean about instantly available channels? Once it's hacked you have all the channels available to you. If I want 3 channels I use the 3 channel receiver. If I need more I use the 6 or 8 channel receiver.
For the winch creep that's solved with a decent winch controller. Not sure how a slide switch or toggle would hurt or help that.
As far as having to adjust the channels do you mean trim and endpoints to adjust the actual RC?

I definitely need to finally install those pots and micro switches so I have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ThatJeeper2017 01-10-2018 06:49 PM

I’m using a Spektrum DX5C on my 10.2 and it has proved to be a hardy transmitter at $140

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiderZ 01-10-2018 07:54 PM

I have three of the gtb3's.They work well for my needs.Cant beat the price either.

Canonman 01-14-2018 08:23 AM

Absima cr4t which is basically a Flysky I understand.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Ninomaniac 01-14-2018 12:57 PM

RC4g and TS4g which are basically the same model. Originally got it for the integrated gyro RX for my 2wd SCT, but didn't like it.

I don't think I could go back to a simpler radio regarding EPA and curve settings. Also like the soft springs and foam wheel.