Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How do you record?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: How do you record?

Gimbals are amazing. And the right ones add a whole other bag of tricks to your arsenal. Don't knock it till you try it/find the one that works for you. A lot of it is practice and planning but you can get some pretty spectacular shots. I'll be doing a How-To-Film for my channel once the weather is not garbage. Image stabilization requires decent footage in, so try to be as steady as you can prior to ingest.

https://youtu.be/ybTqW53aWFU

EDIT: Why does RCC always break the embed?
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I find that when out solo holding the camera and trying to frame the car are pretty much hopeless, and its pretty rare i like the resulting footage.

Instead i use a little gorilla pod, or rather a MID sized one, and then set it up so it capture one "event" at the time.

This are a bit sneaky unless you are in a busy spot, but otherwise you tend to get shots from a range of distances to the truck.
Some times i even use 2 cameras so i can capture 2 challenges in one go if the site allow for it. ( Denmark are pretty uneventful even at 1:10 scale )
With good editing and transitions you can make this kind of footage look really good.

This video or rather the last half of it demo my stop and relocate and go, though it is a pretty boring spot.
https://youtu.be/Uu4QzCjBGm4

I am hoping to upgrade to gimbal soon, or rather i hope some one send one to me to test, my now limited buying power's are fully depleted already for 2018 with other things, actually i cant even afford what i do at the moment with my SCX 10 II

Onboard video are also a little fun, but for it to work you have to drive really slow and the ground below the truck cant be too bumpy or it will ruin the footage.
EIS would be good to have too, but my small cameras dont have that, and i can not afford the Gitup F1 camera.
But in general i advise against on board video on RC toys, at least ground and water ones.
https://youtu.be/NpdHQRFDU8M

My friend lost a camera in a +120 km/h crash with his speed boat cuz i was too stupid to realize such a huge block will screw up aerodynamics on a highly volatile thing like a speed boat.
Cameras i use or have used on board are :
Innovv C1 ( discontinued )
Mobius 1
Mobius 2
Joovuu X cam
Today i would go for the F1 from Gitup as it can do real 4K and have EIS and can do slow motion 1080 and 720 p.

For Use on the little gorilla pod i have SJcam SJ7 Star - SJ6 Legend and SJ6 Air, the SJ7 star can do the 4K stuff and slow mo 1080p, the legend and air i use for additional 1080p footage where slow mo are not needed, both can do 1080/60 which i use for normal recording.

On occasion, mostly high speed stuff we use a canon camcorder on a Manfretto tripod, here i would recommend a ball head type for a large tripod.
Allow for the camera man to be a little more creative and get closer on the action if you are on the ball that is

https://youtu.be/HHvdL4h96E4
https://youtu.be/sLVKYqeqX9U

Shooting handheld with a camcorder, at least my shaky old hands, means a less enjoyable footage and also more exhausting to film.

https://youtu.be/CCawa-wXAcM

As imthatguy say a gimbal are really nice, most can be screwed onto a selfie pole.
you can also get some ways using EIS or gyro as some call it just be weary that some cameras have better EIS than others.
And for EIS to work it is normally not for the full resolution, but that's okay 1080p are fine and besides most dont have a computer that can handle 4K footage or the newer H.265 compression format.
And as imthatguy also prove half of a good RC video are in the editing.

But gimbal are nice, i so wish i had one.

O and remember you dont actually have to record every second of your outing, focus on the cool spots on your trail, maybe do several takes, and then hit the editing software hard on the computer.

Last edited by Peaker; 02-13-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
EDIT: Why does RCC always break the embed?
This is the newbie section. :shrug:
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I was impressed with this video from the gopro hero 6:

https://www.facebook.com/WB.Custom.C...9941965240228/
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

yes but GP6 are pretty expensive.
I am hoping to get the up and coming SJ8 Pro for testing / to beat on, its hardware are much like GP6 and so it will not be one of those really Cheap China cameras.

I think the GP6 can but most others cant do 240 FPS at 1080p, that are pretty nice for slow motion though i have to admit that using 120 FPS are often fine for me with slower things like our little 4 x 4 trucks.

Like the newer ones can do EIS for 4 K footage too, but i think i will keep shooting 1080p, 4K have a decent impact on my computer so i dont have the patience to do longer 4K edit jobs.

But i have found that up scaling 1080p footage to 4K in post often mean youtube are less destructive to it.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

imthatguy, really looking forward to your upcoming filming tutorial. your honcho build off with Harley has been fantastic and really entertaining (the bit you did about the intro... something's missing... *snapping fingers* haha that had me dying!)

yeah I am really new to trying to get vids of my trucks. cave man style for me. iPhone 6 in right hand, driving the rig one-handed in the left. takes a lot of concentration, especially since i have no editing software, at all, so i have to get everything in one take.
lol its really awful and i hope to step my game up soon. hopefully with some help of a certain SBG member's tutorial... ;)

some nice ideas in here too. at minimum i need a gorillapod adapter for the iPhone 6, that alone would help TONS.

great thread!

**and if we are referencing other youtube vids, i really like "Waffet". his vids are simple and gets the shocks just right for a good believable bounce.

Last edited by Shinchu; 02-13-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys! Great discussion!

I have two action cams (Xaiomi yi and yi 4k), so I will use one on a Gorilla pod and one on some other type of contraption most likely connected to the controller. From what everyone is saying it's not the best idea, but I will do a little video log and show how each version I do works out bad or good.

I'm still very interested in the gimbals too. @imthatguy do you have any gimbals that you would recommend for this type of recording? That image stabilization is really pointless then because most of the time it's shaky and that's the issue, so if I could record still footage I wouldn't need it.
Stewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
...**and if we are referencing other youtube vids, i really like "Waffet". his vids are simple and gets the shocks just right for a good believable bounce.
I'm pretty sure Waffet videos are played at somewhere around 40 FPS which is slightly slower than standard cinematic style footage which is just under 30 FPS. The slightly slowed down footage makes the truck reaction look more realistic. As ImThatGuy has said, all the best videos are good because of both the footage and the editing. Being able to perfect your footage in post is super important. You need to learn lots of editing techniques to elevate your video game.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewdog View Post
Thanks guys! Great discussion!

I have two action cams (Xaiomi yi and yi 4k), so I will use one on a Gorilla pod and one on some other type of contraption most likely connected to the controller. From what everyone is saying it's not the best idea, but I will do a little video log and show how each version I do works out bad or good.

I'm still very interested in the gimbals too. @imthatguy do you have any gimbals that you would recommend for this type of recording? That image stabilization is really pointless then because most of the time it's shaky and that's the issue, so if I could record still footage I wouldn't need it.
I have both an Osmo and a Zihyun Crane V2.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys!!

@ Oh How Original what's not reliable about the gimbals, that you have found?

I think I need to go study up on gimbals.
I thought the gimbal controlled that? Is the issue that it doesn't follow the truck properly when moving?
Well, unless you spend mega bucks, they aren't quick enough in my opinion, the whole idea is to make the video smooth, if you have something moving quickly or just changing direction quickly, it soon becomes lost while the gimbal catches up, then they can sometimes move in a jerky way to try to catch up as quickly as possible.
This is just my personal opinion, but I don't really like gimbal footage, I looked into them a lot, some of the budget ones and the high end ones and they all seemed roughly the same.
If you are doing very slow/scale driving, I can't see it being a huge problem, but I'm not personally a big fan of watching footage using them, I also find it can sometimes make it look a bit fake.
In 1:1 stuff, they don't too often use gimbals, again, just my own experience based on watching off roading videos daily, because it's not the best way to keep stuff in shot at anything more than a very slow crawl.
When I said unreliable I didn't necessarily breaking, I just meant, they are designed to be slow and IMO, they very rarely produce better footage than non gimbal footage that's been stabilised in editing.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Waffet at 40 fps is slower than 30 fps? Sooooo... less frames = faster? But thats slower? Than... fast?

I really hope you meant waffet is at 30 and most play at 40, or i am more of a failure at math than i thought!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

YT accepts different frame rates. One way to get some slow motion would for example be to record at 50fps but export the video at 30 fps, giving you 60% speed. For getting "extra frames" (aka shooting at 30 fps and wanting to go half speed but retain the smoothness of 30 fps) you need plugins, Twixtor is the most popular I believe. You can get some amazing results but you need good source footage. You can go 1/6 or even up to 1/10 speed with good results! But half speed is usually enough to make the rig behave "real".
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

So, I ended up getting this contraption for my mobile recording.

https://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Adju...+camera+holder

I have it clamped to the bottom of my controller. The goose neck is super stiff and stays in whatever shape you put it in. The clamp is also strong enough to clamp on my controller confidently. I'm not worried it's going to fall off at all while using it. I'm going to start here and see how it works for a while.

I also picked up a small flexible tripod, but haven't used it yet.

This is the first video I have made with the clamp setup on my controller. I think it's a vast improvement over my first attempt, but still needs some work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juv4...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Not bad, with some practice and a bit of stabilisation in post, it could end up looking super smooth.

I gave up on attaching cameras to my controller, having to track the car all the time kills half the fun of RCing.

I hate filming when I get the time to RC anyway. It's a 2 person job, driver and camera.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Haha, this is why I'm looking for megamoolahslotcom to do things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxO5...ature=youtu.be
Thanks for the link!

Last edited by Marcel89; 03-06-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Marcel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

This is my attempt at recording with the mini tripod. I like how stable it is, but it seems to have a little less flow to the video, I think.
I might have to try a mix of both of them next time and see how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gUV...ature=youtu.be

How do you record? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am going for a record LR3 Chit Chat 17 07-06-2010 07:19 PM
For the record... Uffduh Colorado 3 05-15-2009 06:59 AM
record Stallion1967 Chit Chat 16 03-11-2007 12:19 PM
new site record JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 8 01-04-2007 06:31 PM
Is this a record? DirkDigler Chit Chat 51 11-04-2005 01:45 PM