Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: periodicals ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default periodicals ??

No Crawler specific magazine print or on-line ??

RC Car Action about as close as we may get ?
lasllcap@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: periodicals ??

There's still a much larger market worldwide for Mini & standard 1/10th touring cars, 1/10th drifting, 1/10th 2WD & 4WD buggy, 1/10th stadium truck, 1/8th buggy, 1/8th truggy, 2WD short course trucks, 4WD short course trucks, monster trucks, 1/5th scale, and nitro or gas-powered versions of nearly half that I've listed than there is for comp crawlers, scale comp crawlers, scale trail crawlers, and rock racers combined.

What little advertising money there is, tends to go towards those parts of RC.

Add to that fact the sad truth that print media is dying an agonizing death...

...and you end up with a mix of forums, FaceBook pages, and the occasional special issue or article or - as was the case in the August Radio Control Car Action - a pullout special section on "Trail & Scale".

Just make the best of what we have, this forum can be a really useful resource much of the time!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

X2, only rc car magazine left in USA is RCCAction unfortunately, but I’m currently subscribed because I love print media and it’s reading room material. There’s been several better magazines but this is the one left atm. Years ago I use to buy a UK periodical for about double Rccaraction and it was much better, less of a big advertisement too. I don’t recall the name, RC Racer iirc and it’ was geared towards racing, great mag printed on high quality heavier weight paper and came out every two months!

Last edited by Natedog; 07-03-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

UK magazines are ALWAYS better - I worked at bookstores for many years long ago, used to get free copies of the old unsold issues - they only demand the UPC code or sometimes the cover page to be sent back - I was a fiend for all their car magazines...

So thick and glossy, better photography, more intelligent and literary writing (well, there are a handful of American automotive writers that do excel...), and larger format.

I used to buy the UK RC mags back when I was first into the hobby, because by then I'd moved on from retail management to the tech industry... they were great.

I keep meaning to stop by one of the big bookstores to see if there are any still sold here (or in existence?), but I always forget...
Old 07-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2, only rc car magazine left in USA is RCCAction unfortunately, but I’m currently subscribed because I love print media and it’s reading room material. There’s been several better magazines but this is the one left atm. Years ago I use to buy a UK periodical for about double Rccaraction and it was much better, less of a big advertisement too. I don’t recall the name, RC Racer iirc and it’ was geared towards racing, great mag printed on high quality heavier weight paper and came out every two months!
you and duroc have it right ; I used to do helicoptersand the absolute best was a UK 6X a year HeliWorld maybe, A4 size (the best) , heavy paper, polite literary style. It’s a sad state of affairs.

But I am part of the problem as Natedog notes; I am part of the first paragraph ,stadium truck, - but aren’t we all.
lasllcap@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

X2 on both you guys! I had a job where I got all the automotive magazines that didn’t sell, just had to tear the covers off to give back back to distributor. I forgot the larger A6 format of UK magazines too, much more in depth and intellectual discussions of all things RC! The UK magazines put US too shame, way better value even at double the price!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Hmm, thought I posted in here earlier. Apparently not..

There's a pretty good one out there called "Scalers Magazine". It's not huge like RC Car Action or anything but the content tends to be pretty decent.

Their main platform for communication/marketing seems to be Facebook which is an issue for some folks.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

X2 on the UK mags. I used to buy all the UK dirt bike mags for that very reason.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Hmm, thought I posted in here earlier. Apparently not..

There's a pretty good one out there called "Scalers Magazine". It's not huge like RC Car Action or anything but the content tends to be pretty decent.

Their main platform for communication/marketing seems to be Facebook which is an issue for some folks.
Thanks - just downloaded first issue from JooMag for free (August 2017, so they have not been around for long)

Looks like you can subscribe for free, too...

EDIT: - not sure if it's working correctly - I read the free 29 page first issue (text is in white on top of photographs, so is very hard to read) but the subscription sent me a link to issue #3 that takes me to a page with this statement at the top: "This publication is not available."

Last edited by durok; 07-04-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Yeah he's had some issues lately but he's getting them all sorted out right now and when the issue publishes it'll be running properly again.

I'll look around and see if I kept the PDF's of #1, 2 & 3
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

Magazines haven't been good in decades unless they are super expensive. The $20 year magazines are advertisement fliers and nothing more. RC Car Action has always been a joke. Their "shootouts" always end up being so wishy-washy as to not offend their advertisers.

Save your money.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote