Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: TRX4 vs ascender RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Default TRX4 vs ascender RTR

Hi all, I’m looking to get into some rc crawling, and I’m getting ready to buy my first rig. I was looking at the TRX4 ‘79 bronco, and the vaterra ascender with the ‘72 bronco body. The locking diffs and two speed transmission are what I’m really liking from the TRX4 as it will be just a little bit closer to a 1:1 rig imo. The wheel wells are another feature I liked. The ascender seems simpler, and has a more attractive body imo (I assume I could get a new body for the trx later on though). The performance of the two seems similar from what I’ve seen in videos. Just wondering if there’s anyone out there who’s had experience with both trucks and could give me some insight as to what you prefer and why? I’m looking at the rtr versions just to simplify the process so I can get out creaking and trailing to see what I like and dislike before building or modifying too much.
Iamcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX4 vs ascender RTR

really comparing apples to oranges here, aside from the bodies both being bronco variants, the rigs are very different. Your more accurate comparison would be a trx4 sport vs the ascender. It utilizes a single speed transmission and full time locked differentials.

I wouldn't let an RTR body decide my rig, so take that advice for what its worth, if you want simple and get out on trails, the trx4 bronco is going to have far more electronics and for someone not thoroughly familiar with them, that could get overwhelming. That comes with a grain of salt, as with most opinions.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #3

Thanks!Sounds like it kind of comes down to personal preference with the extra electronics, And how far into the hobby I want to get haha.

Are there any other rtr trucks that a total newbie should be considering for their first? Or any reason one shouldn’t start with rtr for that matter?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Between me and my boys we have SCX10’s, SCX10.ii, TRX4, TRX4 Sport, Bomber, Wraith, and a Trail Finder 2.

IMO, for the money, the TRX4 Sport, out of the box, is by far the best built, best bang for the buck.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ok, I’ve got both. Started with rtr ascender blazer, have built 5 ascenders either kit form or some used basket cases. I just bought my trx-4 bronco a month ago. From my signature, you can see that I’m an ascender guy, it pains me but honestly, my trx4 is WAY more enjoyable stock out of the box. I friggin love that thing. I really enjoy running it with open diffs as far as I can before locking them in one at a time to conquer an obstacle.

I’m using the stock electronics still and radio. It’s plenty fine for an rtr rig and even with my experience and use of upgraded electronics, the trx4’s electronics do the job very well and don’t anger me(well, the stock servo does, but so did the ascender servo too)

There’s talk about an upgraded ascender coming out later this year that will hopefully be updated so I wouldn’t buy an ascender now. The bronco trx4 has had the bugs worked out of the platform.

I’m very confident in saying the the trx4 bronco will pull the same lines if not a few more than my box stock ascender did way back when it was stock.

Hopefully this helps. I love my ascender and think vaterra makes a great product but the trx4 is more fun box stock. I forgot to mention that with the two speed of the trx4, it is fast enough to make you giggle so that’s another plug.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcrawling View Post
Thanks!Sounds like it kind of comes down to personal preference with the extra electronics, And how far into the hobby I want to get haha.

Are there any other rtr trucks that a total newbie should be considering for their first? Or any reason one shouldn’t start with rtr for that matter?

Actually it is 100% personal preference. We could go on for pages recommending this rig or that and in the end you have to make your own decision. Spend some time on RCC reading and see what people are saying about the rigs you are interested in.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I don't think you could go wrong with either rig. I own a TRX4 and I am very happy with it; I know plenty of guys that own Ascenders and are very happy with them.

A couple of things to think about...
The TRX4 has issues with its steering servo, and really should be replaced immediately. Other than that, it is a solid truck.

I have heard rumors that Horizon is going to drop the Ascender line now that it owns Axial, but parts support should not be a problem for a good long while.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #8

The Ascender Blazer body is no longer available.

Both the Ascender and TRX-4 are great trucks. As your first I'd recommend the TRX-4. If you decide you need more hardcore performance you can upgrade to the Ascender, HPI Venture, or SCX10 II. And there are supposedly new parts coming for the Ascender and we don't know what that means.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I've had them all and TRX-4 is my choice. The locking diffs and 2 speed are fun to play with. They add a whole new level of fun because you can try obstacles unlocked, then locked if needed. If you dont want that extra weight and moving parts (potential failure points), the Sport is the way to go.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #10

Thanks for all the awesome replies with advice and/or opinions on the matter. I think I’m leaning towards the trx-4 for my first truck!

Just found out about a local group that gets together where a couple guys said I could try out their builds so hopefully I’ll be able to post an updat with my first actual truck purchase soon!!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just found out about a local group that gets together where a couple guys said I could try out their builds so hopefully I’ll be able to post an updat with my first actual truck purchase soon!!
This is the absolutely the smartest thing to do. You can read and research until your eyes pop out, but nothing beats actual wheel time for making your choice.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the awesome replies with advice and/or opinions on the matter. I think I’m leaning towards the trx-4 for my first truck!

Local groups are perfect! I talked to a couple of local guys on this forum and then met up with them in person. That was the first time I saw a scale crawler in action in person. That was about 4 years ago and I'm still crawling with some of those guys to this day! If not for having a cool group of guys to run with I don't think my addiction to scale crawling would have been as strong as it is now. Scale crawling alone is fun, but doing it with a group of cool guys is even more fun!
Old 09-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

The TRX4 is overcomplicated, top heavy and too expensive for what it is. The lookable diffs are a nice feature but I've seen a few break already.
The TRX4 Sport is simpler and somewhat reasonably priced but it looks like Traxxas borrowed a body mould from Redcat for that one...

The Ascender isn't a bad truck. Too bad about the torque twist.
It was great when launched but since then has been overtaken by newer trucks. Maybe it's getting a replacement/update soon but since Horizon took over Axial by buying Hobbico it's more likely it's getting discontinued soon, some variations have already disappeared from the website.

TL;DR: get an SCX10ii. Or a Trailfinder 2.

Last edited by zanthrax; 09-20-2018 at 09:12 AM.
zanthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthrax View Post
The TRX4 is overcomplicated, top heavy and too expensive for what it is.

I would have to disagree. I've owned and operated a RC for a total of 3 weeks. That is when I bought the TRX-4 Bronco.

There is nothing complicated about it. With a glance at my tx I can tell what gear I'm in and which, if any, diff is locked. The Bronco body is nowhere near being top heavy, and it's totally worth the price when you consider the features, hardware, and build quality.

My vote is for the TRX-4. I love mine and don't regret getting it over any of the others.
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #15

Quote:
The TRX4 is overcomplicated, top heavy and too expensive for what it is. The lookable diffs are a nice feature but I've seen a few break already.
The TRX4 Sport is simpler and somewhat reasonably priced but it looks like Traxxas borrowed a body mould from Redcat for that one...

The Ascender isn't a bad truck. Too bad about the torque twist.
It was great when launched but since then has been overtaken by newer trucks. Maybe it's getting a replacement/update soon but since Horizon took over Axial by buying Hobbico it's more likely it's getting discontinued soon, some variations have already disappeared from the website.

The TRX-4 has more features and therefore moving parts, but it isn't overly complicated.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:

If any of the big brands are overpriced, its Axial. TRX-4 Sport is $340, Honcho is $320. Honcho has plastic links, dogbones up front, cast one piece locker/ring gear, crappy plastic shocks, and a radio that looks like it came from a Wal Mart grade toy. TRX-4 Sport still has portals, nice steel links with good rod ends, nice aluminum bodied shocks, and Traxxas managed to not substitute crap parts like dogbones into the driveline.

If you're talking about the Bronco being overpriced, its $450. Axial's Blazer is $420. So for $30 more you get a better radio, portals, locking front and rear diffs, a two speed transmission, nice links with rod ends that arent going to fall apart after 3 runs, wheel wells, and nice aluminum bodied shocks that wont leak all their oil out in the box.

Traxxas quality is far better and you get way more for your money. And a TF2 for a first rig? No way! Too fragile and not capable, plus crap steering (except for Marlin)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #17
RCC Addict

And to add to that, I'm not an Axial hater. I currently have 3 Axial based rigs, but there isnt much Axial left to them. My 2 TRX-4s are mostly stock because they dont need a ton of upgrades. The stock drivetrain is tough, links are good, shocks are good. They need a good steering servo and some weight down low up front.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Here is something else to consider, no matter what rig you get...

VERY few rigs handle well right out of the box, some are not bad, some are horrible. To get what you want out of the truck you will want to drive it, figure out what you don't like about it, and tune that characteristic out. The Defender TRX4 has an awesome looking, very detailed, body. But, all of that detailing, and heavy plastic of the body makes it top heavy. There are options out there to help with this, but if you get the Tactical, Sport or Bronco versions, they have less stuff up high, and they are not so top-heavy.

As far as the locking diffs and two-speed go, use them if you want them, lock them up if you want. Its your rig, make it the way you want it. I find the two-speed to be very useful, the gear ratios are far enough apart that it gives you good options for the terrain you are running on. I found the locking diffs to be cool, but not a practical option for me, so I took them out and replaced them with a spool.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
If any of the big brands are overpriced, its Axial. TRX-4 Sport is $340, Honcho is $320. Honcho has plastic links, dogbones up front, cast one piece locker/ring gear, crappy plastic shocks, and a radio that looks like it came from a Wal Mart grade toy. TRX-4 Sport still has portals, nice steel links with good rod ends, nice aluminum bodied shocks, and Traxxas managed to not substitute crap parts like dogbones into the driveline.

If you're talking about the Bronco being overpriced, its $450. Axial's Blazer is $420. So for $30 more you get a better radio, portals, locking front and rear diffs, a two speed transmission, nice links with rod ends that arent going to fall apart after 3 runs, wheel wells, and nice aluminum bodied shocks that wont leak all their oil out in the box.

Traxxas quality is far better and you get way more for your money. And a TF2 for a first rig? No way! Too fragile and not capable, plus crap steering (except for Marlin)
I couldn't agree more!

Axial has their own overly complicated parts like the servo mount/battery tray. In no world should that be 3 pieces. And, to make it worse, it's made from their garbage plastic.

Traxxas is worth the price. Axial isn't.

I also own numerous Axial vehicles.

And I agree that the TF2 isn't good for any newbie. They require patience and tinkering just to get them to perform well out of the box.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #20

I own the TRX4 Defender and will admit that it is a bit of a pig with body weight up high but there are easy ways to counter that and make it perform very well. I love mine and would gladly own another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 vs ascender RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascender and TRX4 Crawling By The River CT Yankee Scale Videos! 0 04-11-2018 07:28 AM
Traxxas TRX4 Defender & Vaterra Ascender K10 Portal Axles! Volgan Scale Videos! 1 04-07-2018 06:38 PM
Ascender/Trx4 Portals CODYBOY General Scale Talk 3 01-24-2018 09:17 AM
Traxxas TRX4 & Vaterra Ascender K10 - cold, snow run Volgan Scale Videos! 0 01-20-2018 02:35 AM
My ascender - now a bronco with TRX4 motor/esc/tires/other bits 2k2wranglerx Vaterra Ascender 3 01-17-2018 01:21 PM