Notices

Thread: Axial Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezul View Post
What’s a good battery and charger for this? No real reason on the bomber other than I’ve just heard good things about them.
Opinions vary wildly here. Like I stated before, I'd not bother with anything less than 3s, (surely I'm biased as I haven't even tried 2s).

I started with a couple Venom 3200 30C and generally they performed well enough. A dozen or so runs on them showed them as a little out of balance (0.01-0.03 V), according to my Hitec battery checker. I accidentally left one plugged in and it puffed a little and is essentially dead now.

I've since gotten a Protec 3600mAh LiHV and I am so far happy with it, though I've heard varying opinions on it. I'd like to add some foam blocks on the ends as it slides around a lot. It is noticeably more powerful.

My third currently in rotation is a Helios 5200 mAh that gives me a solid couple hours when I'm primarily slow crawling on pretty technical stuff.

I definitely wanted a charger with 2 outputs to charge 2 batteries at the same time. I have an Ultra Power UP 200 Duo that performs admirably.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by elRayRay; 09-21-2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: charger
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Hey Weez,

The sky 's the limit when it comes to batteries and chargers. Do you have a good local hobby shop close to you? I would ask them for information if you feel like they are trustworthy. Otherwise check out youtube there is always good info there about batteries and chargers.

I went the cheap route and got a AC/DC (use it at home or take it with you and charge from your vehicle) multi battery charger ($40) that can charge all types of batteries. They all have features like balance charging, discharging, storeage, fast charge and can be adjusted for the charging amperage, battery type and so forth. Mine came with several different types of connectors too. I use Deans Plugs on my set up. As for batteries I started with 2. Both are Gens ACE Li-Po 2S one is a 2200mAh 20C nice and small and light weight the other one is a 5000mAh 40C they are 7.4 volt. I bought them back in March of 2013 when I got the Wraith and they are still going strong after all these years. I only charge them using the balance setting on the charger at 2 Amps, I think that is why they have lasted so long. Now for a SAFETY lesson. If you go with Li-Pos make sure you buy a LIPO-SAFE charging bag. USE IT! And store your batteries in the bag too. If they are going to sit for awhile hook them up to the charger and put a storeage charge to them. Make sure you read and understand how to set up and use your charger, again good info on this site or on the tube. Take a little time to research whatever type of battery and charger you go with and know how they work. SAFETY FIRST!

I mostly use the little 2200mAh. It runs for an hour with the type of driving I do. The Bomber has the battery located forward in the chassis and the larger 5000 type battery will be a perfect fit for it. There's a lot of different sizes and shapes and connectors (get the right one) not to mention voltages that batteries come in. Make sure you know the limits of the ESC (electronic speed control) that you have too that way you can upgrade to whatever you want...
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet I just seen RPP Hobby has a post about their End of Summer Sale with a discount. They have combo deals $446.99 (no discount tho) Bomber plus charger and a LiPo battery. Many others to choose from too. Check it out!
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #24

I’ll have to check that out.
Weezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezul View Post
I’ll have to check that out.
Don't bother. Save your money and get a better charger and LiPo.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #26

Took a look and those are also the RTR version, not the kit.
Weezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #27

One thing it seems no one mentioned about the kit - if you don't have some already, you're going to need to buy paint for the body panels and the interior. Don't forget to pick up those!

My opinion on the kits - I always buy the kit if possible, but then I have as much (or more) fun building them as I do driving them!

+x
xrecar is offline   Reply With Quote