Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Stampede electronics / wheels to a SCX10 II builders kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

Default Traxxas Stampede electronics / wheels to a SCX10 II builders kit

OK, bear with me here!

My background is mostly with Traxxas RTRs, I've had several E-Maxx's and Stampedes.

I currently have a Traxxas Stampede that needs a number mechanical bits, bent shock etc... totaled up the parts needed and it's little over $100. It's a little depressing to dump that much back into a plastic buggy-based kit. It does have decent electronics in it tho...

So I figured why not build up a better chassis for a few bucks more, swap over everything I need from the Stampede, and then upgrade the transplanted gear later.

My thought is, build up one of the new SCX10 II chassis kits, and swap over all the basic gear from the Stampede. radio, 12T Titan motor, water resistant XL-5 ESC & servo, and I know this will make people here cringe, but for now, wondering if the hex drive low profile wheels would fit.

OK, now that I've horrified everyone here, is this doable as a cheap start into the crawler arena? I realize I need to change out shocks and get some beadlock wheels/tires fairly quickly, but I could be up and running with a bash/trail truck that's a HECK of a lot better than the Stampede I'd otherwise have.

Thanks guys and be kind please!!!

-Josh Murrah

Last edited by JoshMurrah; 01-07-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: grammar
JoshMurrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #2

Default Re: Traxxas Stampede electronics / wheels to a SCX10 II builders kit

You should be fine, and don’t feel like you have to live up to the ideals of others.

You’ll end up with a fun, capable truck.
Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forums.

The electronics should be fine. The XL5 is not the best choice for a scale/crawler rig, its low end control isn't great, no drag brake, and it doesn't have instant reverse. But, if you are just trail running, it should do fine.

The wheels might be a problem depending on their offset, they may not allow for the front to steer properly.

As a starting point, I would go with what you have, that will get you on the trails, then upgrade when you get the chance.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Is your Stampede a 2WD or 4WD? I used to have a Traxxas Bigfoot which is the same platform as the Stampede and I used to have a Traxxas Telluride which is the same platform as the Stampede 4X4. If you have the 2WD and are still using the stock wheel configuration then your front wheel offset is different than the rear wheels. Thus, unless you're fine with the track being different you're going to have different widths on the SCX10.

Last edited by colbynobo; 01-07-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Missing question mark.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
Is your Stampede a 2WD or 4WD? [...] If you have the 2WD and are still using the stock wheel configuration then your front wheel offset is different than the rear wheels.
Crap! I do have the 2WD, and the nut is at a noticeably different offset between the front and back. Good catch!

I guess I'll have to put a set of wheels/tires on my list to buy with the kit.

I'm pretty close to just skipping the scavenge portion, as the radio is the older 27mhz... the choice parts on it are the XL-5 ESC (which is lipo ready but only 2S), servo and to some degree the motor.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMurrah View Post
Crap! I do have the 2WD, and the nut is at a noticeably different offset between the front and back. Good catch!

I guess I'll have to put a set of wheels/tires on my list to buy with the kit.

I'm pretty close to just skipping the scavenge portion, as the radio is the older 27mhz... the choice parts on it are the XL-5 ESC (which is lipo ready but only 2S), servo and to some degree the motor.
You can probably get away with running the negative offset front wheels on the front, and the rear wheels on the rear, if you don't mind the track width difference of course.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The hobbywing 1080 is pretty cheap and a good Holmes trailmaster Sport motor is too good to pass at 20$

You can use the traxxas radio / tx and the servo I guess.

Grab some plastic beadlocks from someone upgrading it's kit wheels and get a set of duratrax deep woods. They are cheap and surprisingly good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #8

Thanks for the responses guys... I'm finding it's going to be easier/better to just source the right parts!

Traxxas Stampede electronics / wheels to a SCX10 II builders kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 II raw builders kit-questions Spence Axial SCX10 II 2 11-11-2018 07:34 AM