Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scaler, scaler, scaler...what happened to the crawlers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scaler, scaler, scaler...what happened to the crawlers?

Trying to get back into the hobby. Been almost 10 years. I ask about crawlers and get scalers shoved down my throat. What happened to the Scorpions and the Losi Comps, and the Creepers of the crawler scene? Is it all scalers now? I don't want mini Jerry cans and LED lights and winches, and bumpers. I loved my chopped WV bug bodies and near 90 degree front axle articulation. Are those kind of crawlers still a thing anywhere? Are the scalers (Scx10, TRX4, Gen7/8 ) style RC's better crawlers than the crawlers of old? Or has appearance just taken over performance? I just trying to figure out what happened over the last years that made the crawlers of the time disappear and figure out what direction I want/need to go.

Last edited by Nubster; 05-03-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #2

Default Re: Scaler, scaler, scaler...what happened to the crawlers?

+1 , im in the same boat , got back into actual capable crawlers and everyone wants 3d printed shovels and coolers
Rkilkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

haha...that's terrible...lol...I mean I see some of these setups and yeah...they are cool as hell. People are putting in a lot of time and effort to make these things look real. But it's just not anything that interests me. I suppose complete custom build might be the only way now or old school used but I'm sure with very limited or non-existent parts support.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Dlux has everything you need to build a set of great berg crawler axles
Go to dlux.com and have a look you won't be disappointed

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default Scaler, scaler, scaler...what happened to the crawlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Trying to get back into the hobby. Been almost 10 years. I ask about crawlers and get scalers shoved down my throat. What happened to the Scorpions and the Losi Comps, and the Creepers of the crawler scene? Is it all scalers now? I don't want mini Jerry cans and LED lights and winches, and bumpers. I loved my chopped WV bug bodies and near 90 degree front axle articulation. Are those kind of crawlers still a thing anywhere? Are the scalers (Scx10, TRX4, Gen7/ style RC's better crawlers than the crawlers of old? Or has appearance just taken over performance? I just trying to figure out what happened over the last years that made the crawlers of the time disappear and figure out what direction I want/need to go.

Ive been told lately that having too much articulation is a bad thing

I think something like an axial bomber might be a good crawler if you set it up right. My losi rock rey build is quite good, even with IFS. I get about 90 degrees front and rear because i extended the front shock tower and am running 128mm shocks on both ends. It outperforms my TRX4 no problem, even with an open front diff.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'm sure there can be too much of a good thing. I just remember when articulation was all the rage...more the better. Now when I see pics and watch videos it seems like the scaler-crawlers are pretty limited. Of course they also seem pretty capable on the terrain they are being driven on too...so I suppose it's all in how you use the truck. I was just talking to someone that runs locally and I guess the main group of crawlers in the area are running class 2 so it seems that if I ever plan to compete locally...I'm going to have to suck it up and go scaler. Certainly not 1:1 super realistic...but I suppose enough to get by. Of course there's always class 3...not sure exactly what the rules are for that yet but I assume it allows for less scale and more crawl.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Everything has evolved. It's not hard to build a C2 scale truck that will outdo an old AX10 while looking like a real truck and the comp crawlers of old wouldn't hold a candle to the shafty comp trucks of today if hardcore lines are your thing. Scale trucks can now do what would have been considered a comp crawler course 10 years ago and comp crawlers can do what was thought to be impossible 10 years ago.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

In truth, the crawler scene ate itself...

Crawlers were/are more of a competition oriented niche of RC, which got REALLY big about 10 years ago. But, our community pretty much left anyone new (and not wealthy) in the dust with all of the Gucci aftermarket parts that were being thrown on the rigs to make them perform better. A new guy coming into the hobby was looking at having to dump over $2k into a rig just to have a hope to compete. Of course, we all know that aftermarket parts only do so much, and its driver skill and equipment set up that holds most of the blame for how the driver/RC performs, but that is not the way it looked coming into the hobby. There was an attempt to save the niche by adding the "Sportsman" class, who's main requirement was the rigs being shaft driven instead of MOA. The idea was for new kids to jump into the niche here with an AX10, then move on to MOAs. But, all of the douches that could not compete in the "Pro" class went to the Sportsman class, and dump the same amount of Gucci parts into those rigs, ending up with the same problem. In the end, the crawlers died out, giving way for the scalers. Scalers are a lot more of a social group in that they are not necessary competition oriented, and people seem to enjoy all of the stuff you can throw on them.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #9

Ha, that sounds a lot like racing “stock” class as well. This really makes a lot of sense and while the euro MOA rigs make me drool, they cost a ton and the learning curve seems steep. Greatscott’s reply really is a good selling point for the scale route as well.
self-future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
In truth, the crawler scene ate itself...

Crawlers were/are more of a competition oriented niche of RC, which got REALLY big about 10 years ago. But, our community pretty much left anyone new (and not wealthy) in the dust with all of the Gucci aftermarket parts that were being thrown on the rigs to make them perform better. A new guy coming into the hobby was looking at having to dump over $2k into a rig just to have a hope to compete. Of course, we all know that aftermarket parts only do so much, and its driver skill and equipment set up that holds most of the blame for how the driver/RC performs, but that is not the way it looked coming into the hobby. There was an attempt to save the niche by adding the "Sportsman" class, who's main requirement was the rigs being shaft driven instead of MOA. The idea was for new kids to jump into the niche here with an AX10, then move on to MOAs. But, all of the douches that could not compete in the "Pro" class went to the Sportsman class, and dump the same amount of Gucci parts into those rigs, ending up with the same problem. In the end, the crawlers died out, giving way for the scalers. Scalers are a lot more of a social group in that they are not necessary competition oriented, and people seem to enjoy all of the stuff you can throw on them.
Well...that certainly sheds a lot of light on things. I appreciate the comment! Sad it went in that direction but I guess it's not surprising. I never got into it really beyond buying and fixing up a couple RC's and a few simple mods. Maybe it's good for my wallet that I didn't take things any further at the time.

Last edited by Nubster; 05-02-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Everything has evolved. It's not hard to build a C2 scale truck that will outdo an old AX10 while looking like a real truck and the comp crawlers of old wouldn't hold a candle to the shafty comp trucks of today if hardcore lines are your thing. Scale trucks can now do what would have been considered a comp crawler course 10 years ago and comp crawlers can do what was thought to be impossible 10 years ago.
That's good to know. I haven't looked over the rules a lot...I'm hoping that one can still compete in class 2 without having to get crazy with the scale stuff. I can deal with a body that's semi-realistic...but I don't want to cover my rig with plastic bits that look like shovels and gas cans and coolers and all that crap...nor do I care about having a driver or detailed interior. I just want to run my RC and crawl on some rocks. Both casually and possibly a little more serious (local comps).
Old 05-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

“Crawling” turned into rock racing and old fat guys like me got left in the dust sucking wind.

I just came back to crawling after a loooong break and the scalers are just my speed.

But I have to admit, the comp crawl bots are pretty damned cool. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's good to know. I haven't looked over the rules a lot...I'm hoping that one can still compete in class 2 without having to get crazy with the scale stuff. I can deal with a body that's semi-realistic...but I don't want to cover my rig with plastic bits that look like shovels and gas cans and coolers and all that crap...nor do I care about having a driver or detailed interior. I just want to run my RC and crawl on some rocks. Both casually and possibly a little more serious (local comps).
watch a few of these videos and you'll see what a correctly setup "scaler" is capable of. Yes, some of the scale points in competition is from generally useless decorations, but many many keep the appearance points to the minimum and still go for performance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzF...able_polymer=1
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Yeah...after watching some videos the performance is much more impressive than I expected. I still hate the aesthetics. I suppose if I just except the fact that I'd lose out on points and possibly the whole comp because I don't "scale"....I can get down with something like a scaler/trail rig built to my liking as far as looks. I mean I don't need to have that chopped up bug body but I also don't want a big hulking heavy thick plastic lid like you'd get on a Gen8 out of the box. I guess once I get out to the local crawling spot and see some stuff in action...I'll walk away with a different perspective.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah...after watching some videos the performance is much more impressive than I expected. I still hate the aesthetics. I suppose if I just except the fact that I'd lose out on points and possibly the whole comp because I don't "scale"....I can get down with something like a scaler/trail rig built to my liking as far as looks. I mean I don't need to have that chopped up bug body but I also don't want a big hulking heavy thick plastic lid like you'd get on a Gen8 out of the box. I guess once I get out to the local crawling spot and see some stuff in action...I'll walk away with a different perspective.
where in WV you located? I'm up in Fairmont and more than several guys in the area I know have a wide variety and range of rigs. From what you're describing, I think you could get into a TRX4 sport. Generic minimalistic body and if you watch the right video I posted, you'll see that guy cut the windows out and made it as light as possible and the damn thing is an absolute goat with some nice voodoo KLR tires.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

WARCRC is still proudly running a Crawler series. I am scale guy by heart but there is nothing like driving a comp crawler, where you can actually drive, without buiding some odd looking comp crawler scale truck.

https://youtu.be/PK4Hl24QKOo
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
where in WV you located? I'm up in Fairmont and more than several guys in the area I know have a wide variety and range of rigs. From what you're describing, I think you could get into a TRX4 sport. Generic minimalistic body and if you watch the right video I posted, you'll see that guy cut the windows out and made it as light as possible and the damn thing is an absolute goat with some nice voodoo KLR tires.
Romney. Talking about the yellow one? That one does look beast and is probably the route I'd want to go if it would be passable to use in comp. And it's not that I'm focused on running comps...but I'd like to be able to if I decided to try them but without having to change up my truck to make it fit within the rules.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:12 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I'm going to come at you from the other side. All things being equal (proper setup, driver skill, etc) a crawler will out crawl a scaler 100% of the time. The new scalers can definitely crawl on the types of terrain they were made for but an MOA would eat those same lines up. I have the same opinion of scalers as you, zero interest in junk on the roof, interiors, winches... I want to crawl over stuff, big stuff.

You have a couple options at various price points.

1. Dlux as already mentioned. Pricey but top of the line

2. RC4WD Bully 2 kit/rtr. Cheaper but still solid. I have a bully 2 and their older axles, 2.2 comp axles. They feel and run totally different, obviously because they are! I pretty much bash mine, no comps for me. I'll take them on trails, off said trails, stone quarries, trainyards. I thought there was no way they would crawl over railroad tracks but they do. Lots of places to run them though I've read some people have trouble finding terrain tough enough to challenge them. By "them", I mean MOAs in general.

3.Around the $300 mark you have the redcat crawlers. RS10 and the newer shafty version, no sure the name and too lazy to Google it lol. I also own an RS10. I don't hate it but if I had a do over I'd go with one of my next suggestions... Also at the $300 mark is the newer Losi Nightcrawler. Looks kinda weird and is a shafty but I've heard good things about it.

4. And the cheapest would be an ECX Temper Gen 2 at $170. It's 1/12 scale but again, I've heard nothing but good things about it. This will be my next purchase.

Having said that, I can say nothing to the comp side of things so you should check your local scene to see what classes are run. Good luck!
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

That's the kicker. Most people here run scale crawlers. There's a shop that has indoor stadium trucks and a pretty nice outdoor crawler course. They do monthly comps but every other month they also run a class 3 comp. I don't know that i need to do a comp every month so class 3 might just work but I don't know how many people are actually running class 3. I don't want to be one of 2 or 3 people that shows up...you know what I mean. And then watch 10 or 12 scalers showing for the class 2 stuff. I hate to cave and be a sheeple and run what everyone else is running...but I don't want to be out on the rocks by myself all the time either because I'm a comp crawler outcast and don't fit in with the Jerry can winch bumper LED light cool kids. I guess in a perfect world I'd have multiple rigs to fit all my needs and desires. But at this time...I'm barely in a position to maybe scrape together one truck to run and it'll be on a budget at that. Things would be better but I just got hit with a busted mountain bike that cost me $400 to fix. That's my main hobby so yeah...it had to be done. I have some medical bills from this year and more to come since I just found out yesterday I have a torn labrum in my hip...yay me...lol...just paid my property taxes the other day...you know...life stuff getting in the way of fun stuff...haha...I'm sure we've all been there. So it'll just take a bit to recover from this sudden onslaught of more money going out than coming in. I think once I get out to a couple comps and meet some people and see who's running what and how many people are in each class...I'll have a better idea what direction I'll go in to start.

As far as you're suggestions...if I want to compete locally...I'm pretty sure no MOA. So that eliminates a few off the list. I was looking at the RS10 but again...MOA and I believe maybe no 4 wheel steer either? But I might be wrong about that. It does look like a fun one to mess with and it's only $190 before any upgrades. So might be an option for just bashing around the house or just for fun. For the shafty are you talking about the Everest or is there another? They also have another MOA, the Danchee Ridgerock. I'll have to check into the ECX but it looks like it's only 1/18 and 1/24...so little guys.

Last edited by Nubster; 05-03-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Romney. Talking about the yellow one? That one does look beast and is probably the route I'd want to go if it would be passable to use in comp. And it's not that I'm focused on running comps...but I'd like to be able to if I decided to try them but without having to change up my truck to make it fit within the rules.
You're not far and one of my best friends lives in Elkins and is huge into RC. If you ever want to run a few different scale trucks across the gradiant of looks vs performance, hit me up. We can set something up. Between the two of us we own just about every model of scale crawler out there, and then a bunch of custom ones. Happy to see someone from the remotely close area getting into things.

Scaler, scaler, scaler...what happened to the crawlers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what happened to my scaler dezl_dub Newbie General 6 04-12-2010 11:15 AM