Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newb mistake... battery hooked up backwards... did I fry ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newb mistake... battery hooked up backwards... did I fry ESC?

This relates to a Traxxas ESC in the TRX4 Sport.

So... I was in a hurry and not paying attention when putting the banana plugs into the battery that was in my truck. Usually I disconnect at the Deans, but for some reason I yanked the plugs from the battery last time. So radio was on, but ESC was off. Once I plugged in the wires I heard a brief zzzz sound, Immediately I pulled the wire and then put them back the right way. With the ESC on I have servo control, but nothing to the motor. The light blinks on the ESC in FWD or REV, but nothing. I hooked up a different Traxxas motor from a Slash using the standard connectors and it didn't turn either. I also went through the calibration process to eliminate that variable and it is the same. result

So.... I guess its time to buy that HW WP1080 esc. Now I just wish I had ordered it Monday when I was considering replacing the stock one.

This is probably not a warranty thing since it was my fault? Any other things to try to see if the ESC is shot?
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Newb mistake... battery hooked up backwards... did I fry ESC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olydemon View Post
This relates to a Traxxas ESC in the TRX4 Sport.

So... I was in a hurry and not paying attention when putting the banana plugs into the battery that was in my truck. Usually I disconnect at the Deans, but for some reason I yanked the plugs from the battery last time. So radio was on, but ESC was off. Once I plugged in the wires I heard a brief zzzz sound, Immediately I pulled the wire and then put them back the right way. With the ESC on I have servo control, but nothing to the motor. The light blinks on the ESC in FWD or REV, but nothing. I hooked up a different Traxxas motor from a Slash using the standard connectors and it didn't turn either. I also went through the calibration process to eliminate that variable and it is the same. result

So.... I guess its time to buy that HW WP1080 esc. Now I just wish I had ordered it Monday when I was considering replacing the stock one.

This is probably not a warranty thing since it was my fault? Any other things to try to see if the ESC is shot?
Did you maybe plug the banana plug in the wrong way? If so the xl5 doesn’t have reverse polarity protection so it’s likely fried.

You have the right answer with the 1080.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

you just discribed every traxxass esc ive ever used plug them in and then
ssssssss poof
yay traxxass
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

So it was fate... I needed that push over the ledge to actually hit buy....
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb mistake... battery hooked up backwards... did I fry ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hooked battery up backwards EthanOsborne Axial Yeti 10 07-13-2016 07:44 AM
Newb. needs motor/esc and battery advice for 10Lb Trail Honcho KellyC Newbie General 4 04-11-2016 06:20 PM
Did I make a mistake buying the AX-10 Scorp or am I just a newb?? PoweredHobbies.com Axial AX-10 Scorpion 109 05-19-2011 03:54 PM
Newb Question LRP ESC/Battery seawolf9er Electronics 1 03-27-2011 08:23 AM
is the battery gonna fry it? kawicrazed_125_05 General Crawlers 2 11-18-2006 01:02 PM