Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Wheels for Gelande 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #1

Default Wheels for Gelande 2

Hey guys, Im new to both RC and forums (still figuring out how categories and searches work) so I’m sorry if this question comes up a lot or is in the wrong place. I just got an rc4wd Gelande 2:
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-118-Ge...hoCd6wQAvD_BwE

I want to get some Slot Mag wheels to put on it. So far I have found:
https://store.rc4wd.com/Truckie-155-...ls_p_5119.html
Which looks like is actually made for that specific truck and should definitely work but they are also $100. I have also found these:
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gea1002.htm
Which are cheaper and Im hoping will work.

So I guess what I’m getting to is,
1. How do I know what scale wheels are for? They don’t seem to say on descriptions
2. Do all wheels mount the same? Or is it like real cars where there are different lug patterns and clearances?
3. Do all tires mount the same? I know there are beadlocks and glue ons, but is that a difference in the tires themselves or the wheels?
4. Will either of the wheels I linked work for that crawler? If so will I need different tires as well?

Sorry for the long post, and if it’s redundant to others on here, but I would definitely appreciate any help/ knowledge from anyone who is willing to take the time to help.
Gnmetalprl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wheels for Gelande 2

You're a bit limited with wheel choices but no... the 1:55's are going to be too large for the GelandeII. I run those on a 1:10 scale crawler fwiw. You need to be looking at 1.0" wheels and 1.0" tires ( That would be 1" outside diameter of the wheels and 1" inside diameter of the tires. 'Bead-lock' notation is specific to wheels only... not tires.

The main things to keep in mind:

> The hex size must match ( I believe the GelandeII is 7mm) so look for wheels that have a 7mm hex opening.
> You want the OD of the tire to be appropriate for your rig... in regards to the gearing of your rig and to the size of the wheel well. Tires too big and your going to have rubbing/ clearance issues.
> Backspacing/ offset of the wheels. This can be tricky but essentially you want to make sure that the wheel is not creating contact or interference with other drive/ suspension components. The image below may explain it better.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

Dangit. I was really hoping those would workI should have known though. They were too easy to find. I will have to look around some more. Thanks for getting me on the right track though!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

No prob. If you go to RPP Hobby or Amain, you can look thru their micro/ 1.0 tire and wheel sections to find some appropriate combinations.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #5

Ok I think I found them:
https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Breake...ls_p_7128.html

I don’t like the looks of them as much as the bigger scale, but beggars can’t be choosers. As far as I could tell, rc4wd is really the only one that makes 1.0 wheels in any significant number. I found a guy on ebay who prints slot mags for 1:16 scale but he doesn’t go into detail on dimensions or anything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WPL-4x-RC-C...-/192652850637
Old 06-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I see what you mean about the RC4WD wheels but imo they look pretty decent for a 1.0". I think they'll look good once mounted up. The other ones aren't bad either... you could paint em whatever color and the seller has good reviews. Plus $15 + free shipping for all 4 wheels is a good deal considering that they look well made.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #7

I actually like the ebay wheels better and I definitely like the price better too haha. My only concern is if they will fit. 1/16 must work differently because I can’t find a hex size or tire size for 1/16 wheels and if they would actually work.I will keep researching. See what I can come up with
Old 06-06-2019, 11:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Should be 7 mm hex... They're for a wpl toyota. Would look good wrapped with a proportionately OD sized tire but dunno if they're true 1.0".
Old 06-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #9

I’ve been trying to research for a few days now, someplaces I find they’re a 5mm hex others it’s 12mm so I don’t really know what size the wpl tales. As far as I could tell tires should be around 1” though
Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #10
RCC Addict

It took me a while to find the correct info but looks like those plastic wheels are 5mm NOT 7 mm so those aren't going to work for the GelandeII ( 7mm). The wpl trucks use 5mm hex on the axles.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #11

Thanks for confirming, sorry didn’t mean to take up too much of your time. That’s about all I could really find was they were either 5 or 12s. Is there any kind of adapter or something to make the 5s work on 7s?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Not at all. We're all here getting info and planning upgrades, mods, etc. I actually found the info on the wpl wheel hex size here on RCC but it was buried so took me a little time to find it. Just glad you didn't order those wheels yet lol.

I haven't found any 5 to 7 mm hex adapters so I dunno if they exist or not. I would doubt it. The smaller rigs certainly don't have the level of support that the bigger ones do.

Fwiw the 12mm size hexes are what you'll find on most 1:10 size rigs... much larger and def not what you'd find on the smaller wpl, gelande II, etc.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #13

Alright, well, it looks like the rc 4wd are the only ones I can find in the 7mm hex. A little pricier than I was hoping and I wish they were just a liiitttle different than they are but at least I know they will work. Thank you for all your help
Old 06-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #14

Hi, one last question, I have been able to find a 7mm > 122 hex adapter, would moving up to the 12mm hex wheels/ tires just look outrageous on the Gelande 2? Do you see 12mm that would fit those tires? Im searching for them but it can be hard to find this stuff
Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I don't believe that would work due to the difference in pin size as well as the fact that the center hole on the 7mm to 12mm adapters is much larger than the axle-shaft on the GelandeII. I would also be concerned with the thickness of the adapters as well as the outside diameter. I may be wrong as I've never tried this but I don't think they will work. I also am not sure that there is a 12mm hex-type wheel that would be proportionately appropriate on the GelandeII.

The adapters look to be pretty cheap so you could try it but I'd rather see someone chime in with a definitive answer before you spend your money.