Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Coming Back Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

Default Coming Back Home

After a small hiatus to raise some kiddos. I’ve found the urge to get back to some of my roots (somewhat) and get back into RC Racing in some sort.
Apparently in the 6 or so years I’ve been away, Off-Road and On-Road Racing around me has tanked.
After talking with my LHS, they mentioned Crawling and Drag Racing is pretty popular here around the NOLA area.

I LOVE the realism that ScaledRcing brings. So I am thinking about getting me a crawler or even a Rock Racer. I used to be a Losi fan boy, but I am open to try any brand.

Thanks for taking the time reading and look forward to being a part of the forum moving forward.

Thanks
SwampDog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Coming Back Home

Welcome back!!!! There has been all kinds of advancements the last few years! And a lot of choices now all good ones too!! Still a lot of knowledge floating around here and people willing to help so don't be afraid to ask!! And have fun!!
brian
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Lots of choices for crawlers these days. The TRX4 is pretty fun. New enduro seems really solid. Axial SCX10ii is great but maybe a bit expensive compared to other offerings. gen8 isn't too bad, but has some drivetrain issues.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Welcome back. 👍🏼

I too stepped away from crawling for several years and got the itch to crawl again back in April.

Wow! 😮What s great time to get back into crawling. So many great options, more parts and accessories than ever, and new manufacturers like Element RC.

Now we need to help get RCC back up and reenergized.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Welcome back. ����

I too stepped away from crawling for several years and got the itch to crawl again back in April.

Wow! ��What s great time to get back into crawling. So many great options, more parts and accessories than ever, and new manufacturers like Element RC.

Now we need to help get RCC back up and reenergized.
LIKE LIKE LIKE

PS saw you watching and commenting on that live Harley pro build. When does yours come?
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the warm welcome. I greatly appreciate it. Researching is harder than what I could have imagined. I’m might have to just buy something and go with it. There are SO many choices.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
LIKE LIKE LIKE

PS saw you watching and commenting on that live Harley pro build. When does yours come?
The Pro looks cool, but Im waiting on my Element Enduro kit to arrive. It’ll be the next addition(Picked up a GEN8 and a Marlin Crawler in the last 3 months)to the collection.

After that I want to build a TRX4 Sport Kit.

Then maybe a UMG10.

Then...

🤣

It’s a sickness!🥴
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDog35 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome. I greatly appreciate it. Researching is harder than what I could have imagined. I’m might have to just buy something and go with it. There are SO many choices.
You do have a lot of options, that's for certain. What kind of build do you want to have? Do you want to wet your feet with something ready to run? Do you have electronics you want to run specifically? If so, one of the chassis kits may be up your alley. Are you wanting to be super scale, more performance oriented or a little of both?

Right now it is a target rich environment for enthusiasts. We have a lot of options out there for just about any budget. My current flavor of the month was the trx4 sport kit I finished, but I had loads of electronics laying around, so I was able to throw a good brushless setup and servo in, along with receiver for my radio that I like to run everything off. If you don't have that stuff, maybe a ready to run is for you. Id say the best performing out of the box is the rtr trx4 sport, followed by the endure sendero that just came out, then likely the gen8, as far as dollar per smile goes. If you're wanting something super scale, I think the rc4wd trucks take the cake there, the marlin crawler being the top dog if my opinion matters. Axial makes a lot of decent products and I won a bunch of those too. The new 1.9 wraith is a contender out of the box and several companies make overdrive gears for the ar44 axle now, which helps a lot with both steering and climbing.

In short, figure out what you want to use the rig for first, your desired terrain and end goals will help shape the decision you make.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
You do have a lot of options, that's for certain. What kind of build do you want to have? Do you want to wet your feet with something ready to run? Do you have electronics you want to run specifically? If so, one of the chassis kits may be up your alley. Are you wanting to be super scale, more performance oriented or a little of both?
I think I would like something to be able to bash around with (higher speeds) at first and then once I’m back active again (In which ever way our Area focuses) then get a purpose built machine..

I have all my old tools and Soldering Station. I even think I have a Novak Millennium Pro chargers in my garage. Beyond that I don’t have anything.

I’ve always loved the building aspect of this hobby, however if the RTR versions are decent equipment, Why reinvent the wheel?
Old 07-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Lightbulb Re: Coming Back Home

Quote:
I think I would like something to be able to bash around with (higher speeds) at first and then once I’m back active again (In which ever way our Area focuses) then get a purpose built machine..

I have all my old tools and Soldering Station. I even think I have a Novak Millennium Pro chargers in my garage. Beyond that I don’t have anything.

I’ve always loved the building aspect of this hobby, however if the RTR versions are decent equipment, Why reinvent the wheel?
Your timing couldn't better now in N.O with crawling and the scale scene. A few events coming up. Matter of fact there was a small event yesterday. Welcome to RC Crawler too
17dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:

I picked up a kit built Axial Bomber. With the stock motor (35T) it crawls quite nicely for a stock machine, and a 10 minute motor swap to a 20T or similar ($19 at the LHS) it will haul just fine. I added a CC waterproof BEC, so I could run 3S, took me maybe 15 minutes of soldering to do it. I wouldn't use it a full on basher, but to just blast around and hit scale jumps or bang through rock gardens, it works well and looks great. The kits came with some nice upgrades compared to the RTR, so if you can find one built already or as a roller, they are great machines.
GCi in ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Coming Back Home - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawllife back home with 5D and Dlux Crawllife EnRoute Berg 22 09-20-2016 07:54 PM
Coming Home ColquittCustom405 Oklahoma 4 12-22-2009 10:37 PM
coming back home norcallump General Crawlers 3 10-22-2009 12:04 AM
axial coming home on sunday bergy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 09-19-2009 10:00 PM
Carnage coming home from Montana!! AxelRod Competitions 14 05-21-2008 05:27 PM