Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: tlt,txt, clod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default tlt,txt, clod

Just getting into crawling and would like to know where to start. I have a new bright rock crawler now but i would like to up grade my rig. So what is the difference between tlt,txt, and clods? I know clods have two motors but what are the pros and cons of each? I don't want to spend a crap load of money, working on a low budget for this. I hear to start with a tlt but i don't like the clearance they give. Thank you
BigKRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Then get a clod. Try researchin a little and you will find the info you need, this site gives you everything just gotta look.
raul duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

There's plenty of low budget builds, actually... What your budget is will more give you an idea of what you can build for your purpose...

Do some reading on some of the builds in the different areas and you can gain a better idea from there...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

A TLT can have plenty of clearance, just depends on the tires.
A TLT is a shaft driven single motor rig most of the time.
They tend to look more scale and your crawling area options are better.
A clod based rig is HUGE and tends to just run over everything.
Aren't very scale and cost more. With a NN chassis and a stock clodbuster your at an easy $400. A TLT is like $70 and most decent TLT chassis will run around $100 some more some less, depends on your look.
Figure a minimum of around $500 for a decent rig, built with new parts.
If you scrouge and get some used stuff and run stock pieces for a bit it can be built for less. Buy a built crawler someone is selling for a few hundred and your basically coming out ahead most of the time. But for me building it was the most fun.

Mostly it comes down to terrain and builders preference and ultimately $$
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

HANDSDOWN!,build the TLT.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Without question, build a TLT. They can be alot more capable than you might think, and on a whole different level than a newbright. Clearance is only one piece of the puzzle, and they are definitely the most affordable.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thanks a lot guys for the info and input. I am going to go with a TLT. I would rather build one than to by one so i can understand how it works better and if something gos wrong i will better be able to fix it. As far as reading and looking on the sites for info, i have been for about 8 hours a day for a week. there is just so much out there. It take me for ever to pick somthing out. I'm very fussy. I dont' think i can go much longer with the new bright. I ordered a TLT-1 rock buster. i'll use that for a bit and add bits and peices when i can. I want to go witha scale look for sure. What type of chassis am i looking at for this kind of build? And just to make sure i have it right i'm pretty much only going to be using the axles on this right everything else isn't worth much. Well, unless i use bits and peices here and there. Thanks guys
BigKRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKRI
thanks a lot guys for the info and input. I am going to go with a TLT. I would rather build one than to by one so i can understand how it works better and if something gos wrong i will better be able to fix it. As far as reading and looking on the sites for info, i have been for about 8 hours a day for a week. there is just so much out there. It take me for ever to pick somthing out. I'm very fussy. I dont' think i can go much longer with the new bright. I ordered a TLT-1 rock buster. i'll use that for a bit and add bits and peices when i can. I want to go witha scale look for sure. What type of chassis am i looking at for this kind of build? And just to make sure i have it right i'm pretty much only going to be using the axles on this right everything else isn't worth much. Well, unless i use bits and peices here and there. Thanks guys
Check out Diaz chassis in the vendor section, look for the DTrail it's about half way down this page: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...t=35527&page=3
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote