Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best way to get into comp rigs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #1

Default Best way to get into comp rigs

Hey all. I’m new and a bit stumped about which direction to go in for my 2nd rig. My first was a 10 III RTR gladiator. For my second, I would like something for casual (maybe more competitive someday) comps, in class 2.

Where I’m stuck: I would like something LCG and great at side-hilling. My SCX10 is great, and I’d like to build something that performs in ways that the SCX is not as strong. While I understand there are a million ways to go, and most involve some tinkering to ‘make things work,’ but still being new, I don’t have much in the way of misc parts laying around. It will also take a lifetime budgeting items with trial and error.

Question(s): Path A: What are your favorite kits that can allow me to build and gradually improve through continued mods? Path B: If I were ever start with a LCG chassis and build my way up, how on earth would I figure out exactly what parts to buy? I know there are a lot of builds listed, but to the newbie, there seem to be many cracks to slip through. My magic wand approach? Something like an SCX10.2 or TRX4 Sport, then either make some solid upgrades for performance and/or figure out which LCG chassis kit I could swap out with specific add’l parts to make it work.

I’ve spent time digging around, reading here, watching YouTube vids, etc., and am having a hard time figuring out which way to go, other than L2search...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Meanwhile, my 10 III is a beast. Just looking to build something a little different (and have a 2nd rig to go out with my kids, etc.).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WildsideVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Best way to get into comp rigs

Congrats on the Gladiator purchase!! It's quite a bit more capable than I thought it was going to be with that wheelbase.

As for the real question, it's a hard one to answer. A rail style chassis may be built around a certain component (or set of components) or be fairly generic. A lot of companies offer a skid that will accept a 3 gear transmission (like an Axial or Element) while giving you the option for a more comp based transmission (like a TGH 2.low). After that you need to decide what axles, driveshafts, shocks, links, servo mount, panhard mount, and battery mount to use. Then you get to decide which electronics to use!

I've got a GSpeed V3 chassis with a 2.low trans, 10.3 Portal axles, Traxxas GTS shocks, MIP driveshafts, G-LD servo mount, G-MP panhard mount, and GSpeed sliders.

I've also got a TGH Sherpa chassis which uses a FMM/Transfer case, Capra axles, Dravtech shocks, SS driveshafts, and GSpeed sliders.

Most people will start with a "builders kit" that gets them a bulk of the parts then add the extras to get them up and running. I know it seems like a lot of choices because it is. There are a mountain of great components and a quick conversation with that company may be the best option to point you in the right direction. Gabe a GSpeed was an excellent resource to talk to during my build. Chris from TGH was another that offered a wealth of knowledge.

One thing to keep in mind, you will have to be patient since you will have many parts coming from lots of places, without a manual or actual guidance. Custom chassis building is alot like a lego set without the box! Your imagination is your only limitation. I would see what other guys around you are using. I've seen a Brazin chassis, a Gamechanger and a Gekko chassis where I crawl.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

Thanks Lashlee. Great feedback. I hear you on all fronts.

I agree that getting a kit and modifying from there is likely the best approach for the next rig. Around me, there seem to be a lot of happy people building from TRX-4 kits. Online, regionally, TF2s seem to be heavily represented.

It’s hard to say what leads people toward one vs the other, but TRX-4 seems to be strong, solid, builds with lots of easy upgrades. TF2s seem to have plenty of options for modding, and the ability to customize hardbodies.

I lean toward building out a TF2, but don’t have any sense for performance and what mods would be the best first ones to do. Also, leaf springs are something I’m not crazy about, but don’t have any experience one way or the other.

TRX-4, my only worry is that it is too similar to my SCX10-III.

Appreciate any thoughts on either the TF2, TRX-4, or other solid options for performance. Yes, I’ve kicked around the idea of splurging on a VS4-10 pro, but am not sure I want to roll my newb ass up with that much bling. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Take all this with a grain of salt because I only know of what I see locally.

I've had a TRX4 Sport for about 2 years and I typically only crawl seasonally because I do other things over spring/summer. This year I got back into crawling pretty heavily and was trying to decide on dumping money into my Sport or doing a custom LCG build.

I got pretty annoyed when I realized there are no guides or walkthroughs for custom chassis's so I decided to focus on my Sport. Currently it's sitting at around 5.75lbs and I can comfortably say it's one of if not they most capable rig in this area. I regularly crawl with 30 - 50 people and I have yet to meet anyone that can follow my lines sidehill or vertical 100% of the time. This past Sunday there was a particular gate that only 1 other person besides me could clear and he was also running a Sport.

I'm still curious about LCG builds but at this point I don't know if it would be much of an improvement. I posted a build thread last week if you're curious.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...en-busy-~.html
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #5

Thanks, man. Sounds like we have some similarities in our approach, and you're a little further along. Great work on that sport, and loved the vid.

I'm going to give some serious thought to building up a TRX-4. Might reach out once I get going.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

A Capra wouldn’t be a bad option either. The kit isn’t terribly expensive and if you look around, there’s been quite a few “comp” rigs built with Capra axles. I built my Capra into a couple different chassis including a gmrc and I’ll likely build another into my Procrawler flatgekko. Just to buy the axles is over $200, so $329 for the kit is a decent deal. And you can drive it in stock form before tackling the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I agree the TRX platform is rugged, tried and true platform. I'm not a fan of Traxxas stuff. I'm not a hater (though I feel the electronics are sub par), I just like other options. I like the TF2 style of rig with the exception of the leaf springs. I like the scale aspect, but it might be a better "trail" rig than a "crawler". FWIW, I have an Enduro that I'm building up as a "trail" rig with a LC70 hard body and 4.19" tires that I'll keep off the harder obstacles that are likely to result in a roll over. I got the Enduro when it came out and feel it's the best option for me to make into the "trail" rig. Currently I have the Enduro, the Sherpa, the GSpeed and a 4-10 Ultra. When you look at the total of the "upgrade" parts of any other rig, the Vanquish models aren't that expensive. If you build most other kit models with aluminum axles, aluminum shocks, metal drive shafts, upgraded CV axle shafts, metal pivot balls and stainless links, aluminum beadlocks, better tires, etc... the cost adds up!

Furadi: I agree that the lack of a build guideline is a huge hurdle. I could start a couple of posts in the 1.9 section to help with others on my builds, I'm just not sure my opinions should be considered the only option. This past Sunday I was out with about 10 other guys that were having more trouble on a couple of lines that my trucks had little problems with. Granted I crawl there often and know the obstacles plus driving plays into the equation, but a modified TRX had trouble playing follow the leader with me ahead of him. There's far too many options so if the Sport is capable it might be time to try out some other options!
Old 02-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #8

Great feedback, guys. Really appreciate it. Forgot about the capra, as that one is also a popular way to go, and from the sounds of it is fun to run prior to making the LCG conversion.

Lashlee: the VS4-10 (probably pro instead of ultra), has been my go-to plan for a while, mostly for the reasons you mentioned. I just don't see many if any of them around in my region (in person or on social media). As for the bling-factor, I'm sure I can beat the snot out of the body fast enough that it won't look to bad. I come from the mountain biking world, where it's common to mock the "dentist kits" which are the once a week riders on $8k bikes w/ all the accessories to match.

In the end, run what ya brung and have fun they way you want. In theory, I'm grateful to have a decent job and a new hobby, so the investment b/w a TRX-4 sport with a bunch of upgrades and a mostly stock VS are probably not that far apart.

Guess this is one reason why so many people have a quiver of rigs!
Old 02-03-2021, 07:33 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildsideVT View Post
In the end, run what ya brung and have fun they way you want. In theory, I'm grateful to have a decent job and a new hobby, so the investment b/w a TRX-4 sport with a bunch of upgrades and a mostly stock VS are probably not that far apart.

Guess this is one reason why so many people have a quiver of rigs!
I absolutely agree and am in the same boat!

Before my long travel exploration in my Trx4 I had the rig lowered to 2 3/4” from ground to skid.

Did very well in some situations but not
As well as my stock ride height now in others.

But now there are lines/ transitions that my current setup can’t consistently make but was no issue before.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I created a post in the 1.9 rigs section that might help those in the future (or might not help!!!) from my own experience.

"Dentist Kits" <-- Now that's awesome!! I live in Knoxville, Tennessee where we have a local place that just received a large grant to make it an awesome place to ride. I go with my best friend and his 13 year old son (who interns at bike shop) and we have a ball!! It's got three paved pump tracks with quite a few man made trials that allow you get a little hairy if you want. One trial we went down showed we hit 28 mph according to Strava!! Check out Baker Creek Preserve if you ever make it out to my neck of the woods!
Old 02-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I created a post in the 1.9 rigs section that might help those in the future (or might not help!!!) from my own experience.

"Dentist Kits" <-- Now that's awesome!! I live in Knoxville, Tennessee where we have a local place that just received a large grant to make it an awesome place to ride. I go with my best friend and his 13 year old son (who interns at bike shop) and we have a ball!! It's got three paved pump tracks with quite a few man made trials that allow you get a little hairy if you want. One trial we went down showed we hit 28 mph according to Strava!! Check out Baker Creek Preserve if you ever make it out to my neck of the woods!

I read your post. That was great!

Thanks for putting the time and effort in to do that!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:05 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You're welcome! Hopefully someone will get some benefit from it!

Best way to get into comp rigs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp rigs lowridinjuggalo North Carolina 0 10-04-2016 12:57 PM
Pro Comp Rigs on Comp Courses Harvo Videos! 9 01-08-2015 11:23 PM
New comp rigs? veewee25 General Crawlers 2 06-03-2009 07:51 PM