Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: what rtr do I choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default what rtr do I choose?

so I have been bit by the bug. I bought a mini-z 4x4 jeep after liking the mini-zs years ago but never biting the bullet. my first rc.

now I want a large rc crawler to accompany it as I have lots of terrain I can crawl in my yard.

I am looking at either the

scx10.3 gladiator(don't really want the dig or 2 spd though, I have heard the sxc10.2 is not as quality though I could go with the cherokee)

traxxas defender(although I would wand to change to the fj40 or wrangler proline)

or

the trail finder 2 marlin(have a soft spot for marlin and the toyotas)

I haven't looked into competing and don't even know if there is anything in my area but I am not leaving it out of the realm of possibility.

I have been doing a lot of reading lately but I am open to ideas.

also does anyone make a samurai body?
Tim1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2021, 05:24 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: what rtr do I choose?

Proline used to make a generic samurai body called thevSumo. They are discontinued but theres still some floating around. It has a 10" wheelbase which is much shorter than your average 1/10 rtr.

For your first rtr i would skip anything RC4wd. They prioritize scale looks over performance or durability.

Its pretty hard to beat a TRX4 for a first scale rig. Mechanically its about as bombproof as they come. The included electronics are its weak link, especially the steering servo.
Worth noting the Proline fj40 that is specifically noted as fitting on the 12.8" TRX4 looks a bit funky as far as the tires fitting the wheelwells. The fj40 body really wants a 13" wheelbase to look proper and maintain decent approach and departure angles.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:44 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Worth noting the Proline fj40 that is specifically noted as fitting on the 12.8" TRX4 looks a bit funky as far as the tires fitting the wheelwells. The fj40 body really wants a 13" wheelbase to look proper and maintain decent approach and departure angles.
I can't help but think the body must look funny and not be a true 1/10

I am more so looking in the the jku body but am worried about bumpers that can match up.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

As far as performance:
Hard to beat a TRX 4 with a smaller light body. Easy to beat a TRX4 with a big heavy body.

Last edited by MOguy; 02-25-2021 at 07:17 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I think you shouldn't rule these out. Just based on personal preference none of your 3 choices are jumping off the page for me (Gladiator and Defender are long and allegedly a little more top heavy, Marlin looks great but needs upgrading due to not being as robust)

If I was to buy a new RTR it would be one of these, just based on forum lurking, except for the Element, I have one of those:

*Axial SCX10iii JLU - then save coin for the straight axle conversion
*Traxxas Sport - light, capable, less complicated than the other versions, it seems like guys either love the 2 speed/locking diffs or don't use them at all
*ELEMENT SENDERO HD - this one is all caps because it is awesome. Buy it.
*Element Gatekeeper RTR - similar to Sendero but with trailing arms and a cage instead of lexan body

I'd stay away from the Element TrailWalker unless tiny tires are just your thing, takes a bit of cutting up the body to run 1.9 tires.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Traxxas TRX4 Sport. Solid crawler with tons of aftermarket support. Also, the sport doesn't have the two speed or diff locks that the other TRX4's have.
Axial SCX10.2 is another solid "simple" crawler with tons of support.
Element Senduro HD looks awesome. A buddy of mine has one on preorder.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I have both a TRX4(Bronco) and an SCX10ii. I like both, but personally I would take the 10.2 over the TRX4. I like that most the weight is up front, it's simple, significantly lighter than the TRX4, and straight axles-no portals. I think the TRX4's 2 speed/switchable diffs is pointless IMO, you can get good speed with the right motor-my 10.2 has plenty of speed on a 27T- and I always leave the diffs locked. Maybe the TRX4 Sport is better, But I can't speak on that.

Don't think I'm hating on the TRX4, because I like how overbuilt and beefy it is, and portals are sometimes cool, but I just like the simplicity/scale factor of the 10.2

Just my opinion

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 02-25-2021 at 01:56 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

If you do look at the SCX10ii RTR skip all of them except the Cherokee, it has upgrades the others don't.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Somebody needs to be honest here. It doesn't matter what you buy first, you're going to end up with 3 or 4 different trucks in a couple months anyway.

In all seriousness, you can't go wrong with Axial, Traxxas, Element or (if you want to go full send, and I guess not RTR) Vanquish. I would argue based on my experience, a TRX4 could be the best value/most reliable out of the box. Also, they are pretty easy to sell if you decide it's not for you.

I am a fan of the enduro platform (although it has it's downsides), and I noticed there are Trailwalkers on amazon for $260 right now. That's a pretty good value IMO.

Bottom line, I would just get whatever one you like the looks of best. Every truck can use some upgrades, and you might end up owning all three anyway.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
If you do look at the SCX10ii RTR skip all of them except the Cherokee, it has upgrades the others don't.
thats really the only one I am interested in because it doesnt have the tx2 radio.

how is the radio on the trailwalker?

I like that axial has much more support for metal bumpers and what not from rc4wd.

honestly after everyone has said no rc4wd I have taken them off the list.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I think you need to ask yourself how you'll use it. I have both a TRX4 and an Element Enduro. I like them both for different reasons.

Short answer - TRX4 (non-sport, especially with a lighter body) for all around fun.

Long answer - If you don't already have a really capable crawler to compare it to, the TRX4 will be a ton of fun on the kinds of rocks you'll find in your yard or on a walk through the woods. Plus the 2-speed can add a lot of fun, imo. I had mine out the other day in a parking lot that was mostly clear but had a bunch of snow piles. I was having a ton of fun zooming across the parking lot and jumping off the snow piles into the deeper stuff, then locking the diffs and dropping to 1st gear and powering my way out. With all of the driveline combos you can do big donuts, small ones, tight turns, etc. Plus it's really well built. I really like my Enduro and its simplicity, but if I could only have one I'd keep my TRX4.

I'd put the SCX10.3 in second place for a first crawler. the main reason I bought the Traxxas over it was I prefer the lockable diffs to a dig, and the larger spread between 1st and 2nd gear.
mash914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Somebody needs to be honest here. It doesn't matter what you buy first, you're going to end up with 3 or 4 different trucks in a couple months anyway.
Yup

Old 02-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I think the 'how are you going to use it' reasoning is flawed as well. I'd argue that someone buying their first offroad RC or first altogether has no clue how they plan on using it. What I pictured doing with my rigs when I entered this hobby is not what I do with them now, and it is slowly evolving. I pictured gnarly crawling and off camber stuff on rocks...but I enjoy trailing at around walking speed with the occasional rest to play around on an obstacle. Had built a rig around my assumptions as a complete noob I would have ended up with something I don't enjoy and spent a lot of money doing it.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
This x3
WhiskeyThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I think the 'how are you going to use it' reasoning is flawed as well. I'd argue that someone buying their first offroad RC or first altogether has no clue how they plan on using it. What I pictured doing with my rigs when I entered this hobby is not what I do with them now, and it is slowly evolving. I pictured gnarly crawling and off camber stuff on rocks...but I enjoy trailing at around walking speed with the occasional rest to play around on an obstacle. Had built a rig around my assumptions as a complete noob I would have ended up with something I don't enjoy and spent a lot of money doing it.
It is tough to predict, but that's kind of my point - I think the full featured TRX4 and SCX10.3 offer a good bit of extra fun / versatility for what seems like a non-quantifiable reductions in one specific area. They're still pretty darn good crawlers, but they also let you jump and peel out and all of the fun stuff that's expensive and dangerous to do in real life.

I'm just saying - from my admittedly limited experience, they're more fun in a broader set of situations. If the OP decides after getting one that they really need something that crawls better, awesome - two trucks means you can rope your friends in
mash914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

picking up an scx10ii cherokee tomorrow and specktrum charger and battery
Old 02-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1987 View Post
picking up an scx10ii cherokee tomorrow and specktrum charger and battery