Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Question re Cameras for Filming Crawls/Trails etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2021, 04:31 AM   #1

Default Question re Cameras for Filming Crawls/Trails etc

Hi

As a "returnee" to the RC hobby after a 35 hiatus, I've discovered the Traxxas TRX4 and my wife and I now have a Defender each, which we are having a lot of fun with,

We've made a few little videos, but now want a more suitable camera. I'm looking at the DJI Osmo Pocket or, a GoPro Hero, 9 or 10, which seems to have a fairly good "gimbal" effect built in.

So, any advice from any one who uses either, or both?

Thanks a lot.
sji-trx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Question re Cameras for Filming Crawls/Trails etc

I suppose by "gimbal effect" you mean three-axis stabilization? The DJI has it but the GoPro doesn't, at least how it's offered. That is, the stabilization may be available at additional cost. Both are a bit large. There are other smaller cameras that record and might be better suited but typically don't have the stabilization.

FPV (first person view) driving is fun but I doubt it would lend much to a rock crawling experience. Might be a bit boring to watch the video. A video taken by another person of a crawl is fun to watch and is there are lots of them available to view.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:45 AM   #3

Yes, the stabilisation is what I'm looking for really.

I'm not that interested in the on-board footage (referred to here as FPV) but have seen some of it filmed with a GoPro that does seem to give considerable stabilisation, hence my interest in that.

Our videos are almost all fixed camera except when we had an extra "camera person". Filming and driving makes the images a bit shaky! But, its more interesting that the fixed camera, so we'd like to do more.
sji-trx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #4
Ots
Quarry Creeper

OK well again, the DJI comes with it and for the GoPro you will have to purchase the three-axis stabilization unit separately.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote

Question re Cameras for Filming Crawls/Trails etc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RS10/Rockfighter filming Lions in Botswana Robotron Redcat Crawlers 9 03-12-2014 08:04 PM
R/C Adventures is filming in another country.. RCSPARKS Chit Chat 2 03-03-2010 08:47 PM
crash is filming it up in WARCRC Rokpile Videos! 1 10-25-2009 10:42 PM
Filming Royalties ColquittCustom405 RC Rock Crawling Worlds 12 08-26-2006 10:53 PM
SPYDA chassis , my first attempt at filming Russell Videos! 8 12-10-2004 07:43 PM