Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Picking my second 1/10 crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2022, 05:35 PM   #1

Question Picking my second 1/10 crawler

I purchased a TRX-4 Bronco 2021 because I wanted to get into the hobby and loved the look of it. I've enjoyed driving it around in the snow around here and I'm looking forward to taking it hiking. I then purchased an Axial SCX24 Deadbolt to drive around inside and my older son (8 years old) has been having a blast creating courses for it to drive through, which makes me want to pick up another 1/10 crawler for him (and me) to drive when we're outside, so I'm researching what would be a good second 1/10 crawler. I'm considering:

- Axial SCX10 III Gladiator
- Axial SCX10 III Early Bronco
- Element Ecto
- Element Knightrunner
- TRX-4 Sport

I currently lean towards both the SCX10 III platform and the TRX-4 Sport for different reasons.

I like the idea of the SCX10's because of the two speed transmission and the scale details. One of the things my son and I both like about the TRX-4 2021 Bronco is you can kick it into high gear and bash around a bit. I'm torn between the Early Bronco and the Gladiator bodies, but lean towards the Early Bronco because I love that blue green color and it's compatible with the JConcepts Creep body if I decide to pick that up down the road.

I'm interested in the TRX-4 Sport because I already have a TRX-4, have two batteries for it, and will inevitably end up with spare parts for it that are more readily interchangeable.

With all of that, I think I'm most biased towards the SCX10, but would love to hear pros and cons of the various options above.
wesbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2022, 06:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Picking my second 1/10 crawler

Being you already have a Traxxas, I would get a second with a two speed and call it good. The Axial 2 speed has too close gear ratios and really is pretty useless, or so I have heard.

The Traxxas 79 Bronco is one of the best-looking bodies on the market Imo and would go well with the Bronco life!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:45 PM   #3

I think that crossed my mind initially, no idea why I didn't settle on that earlier. One question though, of all the other bodies, I actually like the TRX-4 Sport body with the scale accessories best. What would be the best route to get it:

1. Buy the least expensive TRX-4 RTR and then buy the body and the accessories
2. Buy the TRX-4 kit and the body and accessories
3. Buy the TRX-4 Sport kit, the 2 speed transmission kit, and the electronics?

I guess a fourth option is to just wait and see what Traxxas comes out with next...
Old 01-31-2022, 11:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbaker View Post
I think that crossed my mind initially, no idea why I didn't settle on that earlier. One question though, of all the other bodies, I actually like the TRX-4 Sport body with the scale accessories best. What would be the best route to get it:

1. Buy the least expensive TRX-4 RTR and then buy the body and the accessories
2. Buy the TRX-4 kit and the body and accessories
3. Buy the TRX-4 Sport kit, the 2 speed transmission kit, and the electronics?

I guess a fourth option is to just wait and see what Traxxas comes out with next...

I would go with choice 3. You can grab a takeoff 2-speed from the ebayz for around $35. HobbyWing 1080 for $45, Crawlmaster Sport for $20, random Amazon Servo for $30 and a shift servo for $20. Now your at about $450 if I did my math right. Cheaper than any other trx4 with way better electronics. I haven't bought a radio in years, but I've heard there are some good ones (flysky?) out there for pretty cheap.
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

TRX-4 Sport Kit with a 2-speed is the way to go. If you don't like the body, they still fetch pretty good money on eBay.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:15 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Personally, I don’t like having two of the same rig. Trx4’s are great, and having a second isn’t a bad idea, just wouldn’t be my choice.

I’d probably get a 10.3 early Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Personally, I don’t like having two of the same rig. Trx4’s are great, and having a second isn’t a bad idea, just wouldn’t be my choice.
That was something that crossed my mind as well. Part of me wants a different vehicle just to have a different setup to work on and tweak. Also, having dig sounds interesting, though it sounds like I’d want to pickup a different transmitter and radio at some point so I could use both the two speed and dig at the same time.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

due to the nature of the hobby your gona get.all.of.them.
theres no way around it you already got the bug
so heres what you do close your eyes and point and thats the one you get
or theres the spinner method that works good too take a hippy girl and stand her on a twister mat and asign each color to a rc play some dead music and when she falls down from spinning for hours what ever color her head lands on is the next rc you buy
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Eventually you'll more than likely have one or two of each brand! Ask me how I know!!

Seriously though, out of all of my rigs that I have, the Element Enduro is one of my favorites to drive. For excellent quality and finish, the Vanquish VS4-10 is my all time favorite.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Eventually you'll more than likely have one or two of each brand! Ask me how I know!!

Seriously though, out of all of my rigs that I have, the Element Enduro is one of my favorites to drive. For excellent quality and finish, the Vanquish VS4-10 is my all time favorite.
I really like the look of both the Element Ecto and Knightrunner. My only hangup is I like that you can flip the TRX-4 and SCX10 into high gear and scoot around a bit. How fast can the Element Enduro's go when you're not crawling?
Old 02-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #11
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbaker View Post
I really like the look of both the Element Ecto and Knightrunner. My only hangup is I like that you can flip the TRX-4 and SCX10 into high gear and scoot around a bit. How fast can the Element Enduro's go when you're not crawling?

Yeah, I do like the Ecto and it will be the next rig I buy.

I have a TRX-4 and the 2-speed in it works great. I also have the SCX10.3 with the 2-speed and it is not so great. There really isn’t enough gear ratio between both gears to make a big difference in the 10.3.

As for the Element speed, I’d just put a higher KV motor in. For example, in my Vanquish VS4-10, I run a 3800kv motor with a Mamba X ESC. I’ve got a throttle curve set so I have very slow crawling speed and way more top speed when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I have the element ecto very cool rig, mine is fully upgraded or as upgraded as I am going to take it, lately it has been sitting since purchasing building and running my vs410 phoenix very fun rig you may want to consider, they are out of stock now but should be back in stock in a month or so.

I also own 2 trx4 one was a builders kit with 2 speed trans and remote locking diffs I did not like the remote locking diffs so switched over to spools when I swapped over to the NWSD Scattergun chassis very cool rig and I love that the trx4 can accept 550 can motors. My other Trx4 was the sport kit which I have purchased a Negative G chassis kit for along with GRC axles with ackerman steering, just waiting for me to build it, what is cool about the TRX4 is it can be taken a lot of different directions and like the scx10 platform a lot of aftermarket support.

Beings that you are considering both portal axle and straight axle rigs you might want to have a look at the SSD RC Trail King Pro Scale Crawler Chassis Builders Kit https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...d00300/p947552 I am currently considering the SSD against purchasing a VS410 Pro.

If you go Trx4 go with the sport and either grab the 2 speed conversion kit or purchase the 2 speed transmission.

Last edited by jump_it; 02-01-2022 at 05:03 PM.
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

There's a guy near me with a mostly stock Ecto that can keep up damn well with my $1500+ ground up custom crawlers. It's super annoying. That'd be my pick out of that list. Scale appearance isn't important to me, though.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

My Mostly stock Trail King keeps up with comp rigs here too. Ud gears out back and a low-slung body Proline Krawlers and she eats climbs for breakfast and out steers Trx4's....
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:13 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Regarding 550-can motors - the Element RC Ecto and Gatekeeper come with the larger 550 can when purchased as RTRs, and the Sendero will easily accept one as well.

I don't have the IFS conversion - but it probably doesn't interfere either.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #16

Alright, I think I'm settling on an Element Ecto. I'm going to run it stock for a bit, maybe change out the wheels, but when I'm ready to upgrade the motor and ESC, what should I be looking at? I saw a few videos recommending the Hobbywing Axe R2 3300Kv and then I saw another with a Spectrum Firma 2 in 1 Brushless Crawler Motor/ESC 2300Kv. I've also seen a lot of talk about Holmes Hobbies.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

3300kv AXE is way too much motor for an Ecto. I run mine on a 1200kv HW Fusion. If you're trying to stay economical, HW 1080WP + HH Trailmaster Sport 27.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:57 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Default Picking my second 1/10 crawler

If you want to keep costs down, have good low end control, but still have some wheel speed, Hobbywing 1080 and a Holmes hobbies Crawlmaster sport 550 8t or 10t.

If money is no object, castle mamba x and 2850 slate, or Holmes hobbies puller pro 2700kv, and then you’ll forget about wanting a 2 speed

Last edited by twade984; 02-01-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I detest the Crawlmaster Sport 8T. I imagine there must be someone out there that likes that motor, but it sure ain't me.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:02 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I detest the Crawlmaster Sport 8T. I imagine there must be someone out there that likes that motor, but it sure ain't me.

You hate 9t pinions also, but the Crawlmaster 8t with a 9t pinion worked great for me in my Trx4.

Everyone has different priorities, and that leads me to a point for the op…

You’ll get differing opinions on almost every this vs that comparison. Best thing you can do is just try stuff and figure out what your personal priorities are, and what works best for you

Either way, I look forward to seeing what you end up with!

Picking my second 1/10 crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
picking a radio for crawler help please! big bacon Electronics 12 12-17-2015 10:23 AM
Help Picking a crawler revkev91 Newbie General 12 11-18-2015 03:01 PM
Need help picking a crawler for my 12 yo b4tn Newbie General 11 01-28-2015 07:03 PM
Picking a crawler for my son??? wheelspeed Newbie General 17 02-01-2008 08:54 AM