Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: confused about suspension and drive shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #1

Question confused about suspension and drive shafts

Hi all I just bought a Injora 313mm Wheelbase Prefixal Gearbox Metal Chassis Frame for 1/10 RC SCX10 & SCX10 II for my second build I want to use this setup so I can fit a floor for a realistic interior
I got the chassis I also got some Axle Alloy Front / Rear Axle for 1/10 RC Car SCX10 Axial D90 1:10 Crawler (diffs) I will be using leaf springs on the rear
My questions are
Are the driveshafts and suspension links adjustable? or do I have to measure and guess to get the right lengths? I am a bit clueless here I have seen on eBay there are all different lengths and some drive shafts look like they are adjustable? i live out in the Aussie outback so there is no way I can get to a hobby store
I know the shock absorbers are different lengths but that should be easy to measure once I get the diffs in
your advice please
RealJeepOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2022, 11:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: confused about suspension and drive shafts

Driveshafts are adjustable. They have to telescope to adjust to suspension travel.

As for suspension links, they are technically not adjustable but there is some wiggle room so here's a few pointers. If the links use a rod end that's a Traxxas type (threads are on the link), these have the best wiggle room for lengthening in my opinion and the rod end will remain snug in it's set position. If the link uses a threaded set screw to connect the link & rod end, you will have to use a spacer to sandwich it to keep it tight. You can probably gain 1/8" or maybe 3/16" length safely on each end.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Doing custom work like this is fun, you end up with a rig that is uniquely your own. The bad part about custom rigs is having non-standard/custom-made parts that have to be remade if broken.

The first thing to do here is to get the axles and chassis on blocks, and laid out in their desired configuration. This includes putting the axles at the right WB (measured center hub to center hub), the chassis in the proper position relative to the axles, and the axles and chassis positioned properly so that they are sitting at the desired ride height. It REALLY helps to have the body you are going to use for the rig so you can make sure everything fits and looks proper. A BIG step here is to make sure the whole mess is square before you start measuring for links.

Drive shafts: Like Goro said, drive shafts are, by design, adjustable; they have to be given that during normal operation, the axles moves relative to the transmission output. Most drive shafts have a range they'll collapse and extend to, being somewhere in the middle of this range is the most desirable to give the best range of movement for you suspension. The shafts linked below are a good example. Once you have your rig on blocks, and squared, measure from the output to the differential; front and back will be different, so make sure you measure both. If your front is 120mm, and the back is 127mm, then the drive shaft linked below will work for both axles.

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-Sc.../dp/B00XF8EGS6

Linked suspension is fairly easy to set up, and you can get link tubing to make custom links (recommend 4mm ID). The tricky part is knowing what angles of rod-ends you need to use. Most of us who do this link of stuff have a good selection in our tool box already, so we can mix, match, and experiment as needed to get the right setup.

When everything is laid out and square, I start by measuring the eye-to-eye lengths of each link. Then I will use some all-thread to fab up some temporary links to make sure my values are correct, and that I have the right amount of travel and flex.

In your case, I would start with the back axles leaf springs. That is fairly simple, but recommend checking out some YouTube videos for proper arrangement, then work on the front suspension.

Shocks work kind of like the drive shafts, figure out what range you want to be in and go from there.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:15 AM   #4

thanks for the help
RealJeepOZ is offline   Reply With Quote

confused about suspension and drive shafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 MIP C Drive dig drive shafts in stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-03-2009 10:50 PM
REVO Shafts length... I'm confused???? bluonyx Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 1 11-06-2006 09:02 PM