Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Diff Fluid vs Shock Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2022, 09:25 PM   #1

Default Diff Fluid vs Shock Oil

I went to the local LHS today and I asked for 30wt shock fluid as my sons deadbolt keeps leaking. I need to replace the shocks but that’s a different topic. The LHS gave me 30k diff fluid… Can I use this? I compared it to my 65wt shock fluid I have for my Traxxas Summit and it looks way thicker. The 65wt bottle is also 7-8 years old. I’m assuming they don’t go bad, maybe I am wrong. If anyone can shed some light on the topic it would be great. I have googled and searched but a lot have said they are close to the same. 30k = 30wt. But looking at the viscosity I would expect the 30 to look a lot more thinner than the 65.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeezieCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2022, 10:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Diff Fluid vs Shock Oil

I mean, for a shock-- that's way too thick. The bottle on the left is 30,000cst (centistoke) differential fluid. The one on the right is 65wt shock oil.

For point of reference, 500cst is roughly 40wt-- so 30k is like... 2,400wt.

It's the same stuff in both bottles-- it's all silicone oil-- but your new one is like 40 times thicker than your old one.

Silicone oil doesn't really go bad. Silicone is generally hydrophobic by nature, so it can last indefinitely in the container.

Your LHS needs to pay more attention.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Unfortunately 30k diff fluid is much much thicker than 30wt shock oil. TA's 30k diff fluid is CST, which does run higher for the same WT equivalent, WT isn't a constant measure and varies between companies, but they tend to be similar. Losi 30wt oil is around 338 CST for reference. But even then using that conversion, the diff fluid is still around 3,000 wt, much too thick.

30k diff fluid in shocks will make it as if you had no shocks at all, 65wt is fine, but will still make the shocks overly stiff. I've never had or have heard of shock oil going bad, so you're probably fine with using the 65 wt but it'll most likely to be too stiff.

The stock SCX10ii shocks have never been good, and are prone to leaking. You can fill them up again, but they'll still end up leaking. Replacement shocks can be pricey, but some options are cheaper and I think it would be a good upgrade.

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 05-09-2022 at 10:11 PM.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:25 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pick up a set of Traxxas TRX-4 Sport take-off shocks, most of them actually are sold with the RTR oil still in them - I've bought 2 full sets from 2 vendors over the span of the last couple years.

Pretty sure they come with 30wt in them, and they work fine for most crawlers. The length will be fine, and they should bolt right up.

I've been getting them for $40-$45 a set off of eBay - they are new, taken off RTR vehicles that they are parting out.

One set is on my old Vaterra Ascender, the other set is going on a Machete chassis build - and of course there's the set that came installed on my TRX-4 Defender

Those and the Element-branded RTR/kit shocks are the best bang for your buck...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:25 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Take the 30k back to the LHS and get some 30wt.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Take the 30k back to the LHS and get some 30wt.
Agreed, they are taking advantage of you by off-loading that stuff and telling you it will work when it's not the right product.

Bad business practices!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:24 AM   #7

Got it. I will be bring in for back today. I think it was just an oversight I’ve been going to the shop for a long time. I also never looked at it in detail. I saw the 30 on it and I thought I was good to go.

Will the pivot balls of the Traxxas GTS work with scx10.2? I noticed they are different. I also have a TRX4 Defender that I just got.

PeezieCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeezieCP View Post
Got it. I will be bring in for back today. I think it was just an oversight I’ve been going to the shop for a long time. I also never looked at it in detail. I saw the 30 on it and I thought I was good to go.

Will the pivot balls of the Traxxas GTS work with scx10.2? I noticed they are different. I also have a TRX4 Defender that I just got.

Yep they are all interchangeable. The TRX4 has slightly wider ball joints on the top, but they'll mount right up on a 10.2 Like Durok said, trx4 shocks are some of the most reliable on the market.
Jennys RC is a good site, they buy complete kits and tear them down to sell for cheaper that the manufacturer.

https://jennysrc.com/products/trx-4-...a1aaa2f6&_ss=r

Ebay is good too if you prefer that.

Last edited by TITANIUM94010; 05-10-2022 at 09:06 PM.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Diff Fluid vs Shock Oil - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diff fluid Mizzou Newbie General 1 02-04-2015 07:17 PM
diff fluid d-fly Non Crawler RC's 1 04-06-2009 10:38 AM