Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Please check these parts for compatibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2023, 09:43 PM   #1

Question Please check these parts for compatibility

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I found this site after ordering parts for my first RC in over 30 years. I have exactly 0 knowledge on parts and brands and was hoping that someone with more experience could take a look and tell me where I went wrong.

I mostly want to know if something won't be compatible with other parts or will break immediately so that by the time I get it built I can have the correct parts in hand.

Here's the list:
- TRX-4 build kit
- Traxxas high torque servo
- Traxxas BEC
- Castle copperhead 10 brushless sensored ESC with 1406-2850kv motor
- GT Power C6D mini charger
- Spektrum 3200mah 50C battery
- Spectrum DX5 radio with SR515 receiver

I already realised that the plug on the battery won't connect to the charger or the ESC so I'm sure that there are heaps of pitfalls that I'm not aware of yet.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated
Jackson4490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Please check these parts for compatibility

Just change all the plugs to make them all match one style. I used to do Dean's or "T plug" , b7t have since slowly converted to the XT style. Easiest way is to match your chargers plug
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:27 PM   #3

Thanks for taking the time.

I was just doing some research then and ordered some spare deans plugs to put on the batteries.

If that's the only stuff up I made I'll be very surprised.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:36 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson4490 View Post
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I found this site after ordering parts for my first RC in over 30 years. I have exactly 0 knowledge on parts and brands and was hoping that someone with more experience could take a look and tell me where I went wrong.

I mostly want to know if something won't be compatible with other parts or will break immediately so that by the time I get it built I can have the correct parts in hand.

Here's the list:
- TRX-4 build kit
- Traxxas high torque servo
- Traxxas BEC
- Castle copperhead 10 brushless sensored ESC with 1406-2850kv motor
- GT Power C6D mini charger
- Spektrum 3200mah 50C battery
- Spectrum DX5 radio with SR515 receiver

I already realised that the plug on the battery won't connect to the charger or the ESC so I'm sure that there are heaps of pitfalls that I'm not aware of yet.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated
Not to critique your choices, but the "high torque" Traxxas servo isn't great value. For $5 (US) more, I'd recommend Reef's 422 servo. It's much faster than any of Traxxas's servos, and the brand is known for quality servos. There are also many servos at or below the price of the Traxxas unit that offer more torque and faster speed.

I second the notion of changing over all of your plugs. I use XT60 for the lower power builds like this one. It will make your life easier. That said, buy a battery with an XT60 plug instead of the Spektrum unit that uses I/EC3.

Your list looks like fun. Post some photos
casco_bay_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:26 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

my general rule of thumb is if it says traxxass on it and you have to plug it in its gona be a smoke show they rebrand the cheapest carp available and then charge top dollor for it

all the spectrum stuff i have is bulky odd and just dosent feel right compaired to other brands but that could just be the shape of my hands ether way that stuff dosent get used

the battery plugs are a easy swap i tryed converting to xt60s but i guess im just lazy and ended up making a bunch of adaptors lol that dident help though cause i still have the deans plugs
ive resorted to replacing the deans plugs when they fail with xt60s
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:27 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

For being away 30 years, you're off to a good start. The TRX4 is fun, and very durable. I believe you'll have a lot of fun with you're chosen setup. Technically, the battery and charger will be the only incompatibility; one being IC3 the other being XT60.

With regard to the connectors, XT60 tends to be a favorite these days. It isn't advertised, but the battery end (female) of the IC3 fits perfectly into the ESC end (male) of an XT60 with zero issue. They might not be the absolute best batteries you can get, but the Spektrum batteries will auto-discharge down to storage voltage which makes for very easy maintenance. This can be attractive to some. You could choose to swap for a Spektrum charger, or, as was mentioned, pick up a battery

As far as the servo, I'd agree the Reefs would be a much better choice. You could return the Traxxas servo and BEC, bump up the built-in BEC in the Copperhead to 7.4v, and you'd have a nicer servo setup and come out ahead on the price. Be sure to set your servo endpoints on the radio in either case.

You'll be happy with the Copperhead and that motor. There should be a card in the box with a code that you can redeem for a free CastleLink. That will let you program lots of features on the ESC with a computer. Holmes Hobbies has a YouTube channel with some helpful tips in this regard.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 01:41 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help guys.

Since I placed the order I have been doing more research while waiting for the parcel to turn up. I get deal with the traxxas servo but now it's coming I'll run it till it fails then look into a reefs.

I didn't finalise the order for the battery connectors as I was sure I'd realise other bits I was missing. Might be better to change those to sets of xt60's by the sound of it?

None has said anything so I guess the 4s battery size is OK for this rig?

Still trying to work out how motor type, kV, battery size and esc give a particular output. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect from this setup and the more I research the more confused I get.

My goal was to get something that had jogging speed for top end put could still climb over some rocks and stuff. Additionally my 7yo son will no doubt want to drive it, so it has to be able to withstand that.

With the castle link cable, I get a voucher but I don't think I can redeem it in australia. Is that the only way to program the controller? I see it is about $50 aus.

Thanks again for all the help guys. It's truly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:57 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I didn't finalise the order for the battery connectors as I was sure I'd realise other bits I was missing. Might be better to change those to sets of xt60's by the sound of it?
I'd still urge you to buy a battery *with* an XT60 connector rather than an adapter or, worse, solder a new connector on.

Quote:
None has said anything so I guess the 4s battery size is OK for this rig?
The Copperhead is rated up to 4S, so you'll be fine there.

Quote:
Still trying to work out how motor type, kV, battery size and esc give a particular output. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect from this setup and the more I research the more confused I get.
Castle offers a useful chart to categorize Kv for usage. I'd start with 2280Kv.

Quote:
My goal was to get something that had jogging speed for top end put could still climb over some rocks and stuff. Additionally my 7yo son will no doubt want to drive it, so it has to be able to withstand that.

With the castle link cable, I get a voucher but I don't think I can redeem it in australia. Is that the only way to program the controller? I see it is about $50 aus.

Thanks again for all the help guys. It's truly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

With that motor and ESC the truck will get up and scoot; especially on 4s. Running 2860Kv isn't unheard of, though. Just drop a couple teeth on the motor pinion gear to bring the speed down, which will keep the motor cooler as well.

I have zero concern with my 7yo driving the TRX4. If you wanted to tone things down, you can set the max throttle percentage in your radio before handing it over to him until he gets used to things.

You'll want to see about getting the CastleLink if you can. Castle has the B-Link bluetooth adapter for your phone, but it's only so-so. You can't change nearly as much as you can with the regular CastleLink. If you have a hobby shop nearby, they will often be able to program it to your liking or provide advice on settings.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by casco_bay_rc View Post
I'd still urge you to buy a battery *with* an XT60 connector rather than an adapter or, worse, solder a new connector on.
Thanks for the advice. I might be missing something but I would have though soldering a new connection on would be as good as you could get?
Old 01-11-2023, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
With that motor and ESC the truck will get up and scoot; especially on 4s. Running 2860Kv isn't unheard of, though. Just drop a couple teeth on the motor pinion gear to bring the speed down, which will keep the motor cooler as well.
From what I can tell the TRX4 kit comes with a 11 tooth pinion. So would this be suitable https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/GPM-9T-...ar-TRX4009T-BK ?
It was a few dollars so I added it to the cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
You'll want to see about getting the CastleLink if you can. Castle has the B-Link bluetooth adapter for your phone, but it's only so-so. You can't change nearly as much as you can with the regular CastleLink. If you have a hobby shop nearby, they will often be able to program it to your liking or provide advice on settings.
I just added the link cable to the order I was doing. I live 600 miles from the nearest RC store (had to do a quick conversion there to make it easier on you all )

At the moment post tracking shows I should get the original order on Monday. Getting excited for it.

Appreciate all the help
Old 01-11-2023, 08:58 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I might be missing something but I would have though soldering a new connection on would be as good as you could get?
Clipping off a connector on a 14.8v battery can be risky. Then, soldering a new connector on it as well. It can be done, but it’s not advised for the inexperienced.

An adapter is your safest and easiest route if you must use an I/EC3 battery.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:03 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
From what I can tell the TRX4 kit comes with a 11 tooth pinion. So would this be suitable https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/GPM-9T-...ar-TRX4009T-BK ?
It was a few dollars so I added it to the cart.

I just added the link cable to the order I was doing. I live 600 miles from the nearest RC store (had to do a quick conversion there to make it easier on you all )

At the moment post tracking shows I should get the original order on Monday. Getting excited for it.

Appreciate all the help
When gearing for speed, you want the largest (tooth count) pinion you can fit. So, going down to a 9 will slow wheel speed (but increase the torque).
Old 01-11-2023, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Clipping off a connector on a 14.8v battery can be risky. Then, soldering a new connector on it as well. It can be done, but it’s not advised for the inexperienced.

An adapter is your safest and easiest route if you must use an I/EC3 battery.
Ok. So if I do a good solder joint there's no problem? I'm an electrical contractor and we do quite a bit of high current soldering. That's one part of the adventure I didn't have anxiety about until your comment.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:11 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ok. So if I do a good solder joint there's no problem? I'm an electrical contractor and we do quite a bit of high current soldering. That's one part of the adventure I didn't have anxiety about until your comment.
You should be fine then
Old 01-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
lipos are like gas tanks you have to fill them with water before you can weld on them
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:18 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
When gearing for speed, you want the largest (tooth count) pinion you can fit. So, going down to a 9 will slow wheel speed (but increase the torque).
But the TRX4 is a 2 speed, so you can always shift to 2nd for speed!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote

Please check these parts for compatibility - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle Parts Compatibility SertRC Axial SCX10 III 5 02-08-2021 09:06 PM
parts cross compatibility D.K.V Axial XR10 6 09-01-2015 03:05 PM
hilux/Mojave parts compatibility? Corey123 Paint and Body 3 03-01-2014 04:12 AM
parts compatibility bmxwayne Redcat Crawlers 2 03-27-2012 07:21 PM
scx10 - ax10 parts compatibility Longgun101 Axial SCX-10 5 11-25-2009 11:37 PM