Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawling (TRX4 Sport)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2023, 08:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New to crawling (TRX4 Sport)

I just bought a TRX4 Sport as the title says. I have Traxxas batteries but I am thinking about going with a Holmes hobbies setup for this. I want a good motor and ESC not a cheap one I don’t want to ever have to replace it again. But as a newb I have no idea what to get so I am asking for suggestions.

Please & thank you everyone.
pchiumiento is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2023, 08:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New to crawling (TRX4 Sport)

Welcome to RCC! Lots of great folks with great knowledge!

My recommendation is don't go crazy off the start with upgrades till you drive the rig for a while. You'd be surprised how well if will do out of the box. The servo and servo horn may be something to order and have on the shelf ready incase the stock ones let loose. Those are probably the weakest link.

Also, have fun with the rig but when you get yourself all bound up (i.e. the tires are jammed in a rock), just walk up and fix it. Don't try to throttle your way out if it doesn't un-lodge itself with throttle once or twice. While you're walking up, try to keep the steer wheel about the same deflection as the bound up tires. If the tires are all jammed up at 40 degrees left and you let the steering go back to neutral for 10 seconds while you're walking to the rig, you may damage something as the servo will try to re-center itself.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thank you.

Here is a couple motors I’m looking at.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...or-2700kv.html

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...rd-3500kv.html

But any suggestions are welcome as I clearly don’t know much about crawling yet.

P2K
Old 03-14-2023, 04:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have three trx4s, all with different electronics packages.

IMO, the best setup is the puller pro 2200 kv paired with a castle mamba x. Super precise creepy-crawly control with tons of torque and a bit more rpm than stock. Highly programmable to meet your preferences. Is a riot on 3s lipo, but if you ever get bored with it, just get some compact 4s packs and you'll fall right back in love. The versatility of the Puller Pro lineup can't be overstated.

If you want even more top speed the 2700 kv is a good option.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:13 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I would recommend the same. I've had a few different setups in a TRX-4 Sport, and the Puller Pro / MambaX has been my favorite overall.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

trx4 sport was my first crawler since late 2019 and still going hard ... Did lots of the free mods like bumper bracket swaps for better approach angles, metal wheels, metal servo horn because the plastic one stripped and a hw1080. still rocking the original servo and this is the 2nd titan on it. Right now is completely apart to give it a refreshed greasing and a bit of love cleaning all the plastics ... its been a great truck and has held the abuse of 2 toddlers who have learned hand motor controls with them.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:39 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchiumiento View Post
I just bought a TRX4 Sport as the title says. I have Traxxas batteries but I am thinking about going with a Holmes hobbies setup for this. I want a good motor and ESC not a cheap one I don’t want to ever have to replace it again. But as a newb I have no idea what to get so I am asking for suggestions.

Please & thank you everyone.

My son has a TRX4 and has a few Traxxas packs. He has a Holmes 1080esc with the xt60 connector. He uses an adapter from SRC whenever he is using the Traxxas battery.

sonrc.com
408-647-6672
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The 1080 ESC isn't a Holmes product - it's a HobbyWing brushed ESC...

It IS however, likely the best ESC for your money.

Can often be found for less than $40, comes with a programming box, works perfect with Holmes Hobbies brushed 550-size Trailmaster or Crawlmaster Sport series motors.

Those motors are around $20 - the perfect budget setup for the TRX-4.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:28 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

Can often be found for less than $40, comes with a programming box, works perfect with Holmes Hobbies brushed 550-size Trailmaster or Crawlmaster Sport series motors.

Touche. I meant the 1080 w/ Holmes Crawlmaster You're right about it being the best budget setup.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

1080 G2 (as the OG 1080 is basically gone) $44 + Crawlmaster Sport $20, so an economical $64 (plus tax and whatever.)
The problem is, 9 out of 10 people will end up replacing that motor, because while a fine replacement of OE equipment,
it will leave people wanting after awhile. It's $15 more to get an 1800kv Fusion SE, and you'll be set.
A properly decent 5-slot 540 motor is around 50 bucks, and a decent 550 to haul the bulk of a TRX-4 is around the same money.
At that point you're close to $100, and you might as well go Fusion for less money, or an outrunner for the same money.

TL;DR: no one ends their search for a good motor with a $20 motor.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:34 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
1080 G2 (as the OG 1080 is basically gone) $44 + Crawlmaster Sport $20, so an economical $64 (plus tax and whatever.)
The problem is, 9 out of 10 people will end up replacing that motor, because while a fine replacement of OE equipment,
it will leave people wanting after awhile. It's $15 more to get an 1800kv Fusion SE, and you'll be set.
A properly decent 5-slot 540 motor is around 50 bucks, and a decent 550 to haul the bulk of a TRX-4 is around the same money.
At that point you're close to $100, and you might as well go Fusion for less money, or an outrunner for the same money.

TL;DR: no one ends their search for a good motor with a $20 motor.
Well, for my 13yo who saved and bought his crawler with his own dime, it does
Old 04-04-2023, 02:10 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Welcome aboard! I second the Puller Pro / MambaX stuff

Last edited by dCowler; 04-04-2023 at 10:47 PM.
dCowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:35 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Another vote for Holmes Puller Pro 2200kv, Castle Mamba X. I have 2 Puller Pro motors, one with a Castle Mamba X and one with a Castle Copperhead. Both deliver the goods. I won’t recommend the Copperhead esc one way or the other. Mine has worked without any issues for quite some time though, but am well aware of others who have had problems.
Of course there’s nothing wrong with a higher kv motor. For me the 2200 fits the sweet spot.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:23 PM   #14

Hobbywing fusion Pro - 2300KV + a program card, been extremely happy with this on m sport RTR
Spidas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:43 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

This ^

I'm running same in my Defender with two-speed (except I've got the original Traxxas 550 in there)...and there's a new version of this sweet esc that should be even better.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:51 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

update.

I ended up getting the HH Puller pro V2 2700kv with the copperhead 10. It is great has awesome control. I can move by MM's if I want to but can pop wheelies with no problem at all also.

I also got Bantamshop anti-foams and I love those as well they work amazing and I don't have to worry about getting them wet at all.

I have also added the 2 speed trans and the locking diffs they are a blast to play with. But I got a 5 channel transmitter so I could lock and unlock the diffs separately.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:34 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchiumiento View Post
update.

I ended up getting the HH Puller pro V2 2700kv with the copperhead 10. It is great has awesome control. I can move by MM's if I want to but can pop wheelies with no problem at all also.

I also got Bantamshop anti-foams and I love those as well they work amazing and I don't have to worry about getting them wet at all.

I have also added the 2 speed trans and the locking diffs they are a blast to play with. But I got a 5 channel transmitter so I could lock and unlock the diffs separately.
Congrats. But why didn't you just buy a regular TRX4 to start with?
Old 04-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
This is the nature of the hobby, and hobbies in general. Start out with a the base model, if you like it, upgrade it. If you don't, then at least you haven't sunk in too much money and it's easier to sell or pass on to someone else who wants to start out.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
ktse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:27 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
I read in many places the Sport was more capable. I also love to work on my Vehicles so it works out for me on both ends.

New to crawling (TRX4 Sport) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 sport Early Bronco crawling down the dry rocky creek. Hanshotfirst Videos! 0 08-11-2022 04:48 AM
Traxxas TRX4 sport crawling around 603Hobby Videos! 0 05-23-2021 03:20 PM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 sport crawling at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX PIttsburgh, PA rag6 Traxxas TRX-4 2 04-08-2019 06:49 PM
Traxxas Trx4 sport body & bumper mods upgrade for better crawling ability! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 12-10-2018 11:35 AM