Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie wanting to build scale Land Rover..PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #1

Default Newbie wanting to build scale Land Rover..PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Guys,
Im VERY new to this hobby. My love of my Rovers and Youtube have brought me here.

I want to build a Land Rover Defender/Range Rover Classic off road rig....BY NO MEANS a monster truck....just something VERY VERY scale.

I saw some bodies from Kamtec and i think in gonna get the defender swb body from them:
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/products.php...90&prod_cat=10
but im not sure what chassis is best to stick it on. Ive seen that everyone loves the xc but its too hard to find.

I want to build something VERY VERY VERY much like the following:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uoLB4sZ-4A4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eo2BLZAaVmI

As a beginner, i would like to find a chassis thats already running and just mess with the new body (painting and detailing) for now untill i get comfortable with the parts....then i can upgrade suspension/parts/tires.

Im assuming (from what ive seen for the Land Rovers) that im gonna want a 1/10 scale chassis? Ive seen elsewhere that the TL-01 is good, but there are many different types and im not sure where to start (buggies/road racers).
Do i buy a buggy/roadster tl01 and just upgrade the suspension? Again im very new to this and dont know what to do. (thank God for this newbie forum!)

Could someone briefly explain to me how chassis and body pairings work

Does anyone have any advice as to what chassis i should look for that are easily available (ie: NOT the xc,cc01,etc.)
and
If anyone knows of a good chassis i can buy from you/somebody you know (one that would fit the description of what i want to do)

Thanks for your time,
Ryan S

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 06-04-2007 at 12:46 PM.
hollerlwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

you could get a k3-3l or a mfm one but on that subject are you asking if there is an artr(almost ready to run) or a complete rtr? if thats the question get a k2-3l or mfm and a 4x4 wk
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

this bodie might be better for what you wnat http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPNC1&P=7
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

i say get a bruiser
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Debunking old stereotypes

Since when is the XC chassis hard to find?
You must have a crappy LHS
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
i say get a bruiser
Yeah right, get real. A bruiser for a beginner?
What an idiot.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 06-03-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #7

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies.

I have found the suggested chassis online (k2-3L), but cant find a rtr or artr K2-3L kit to buy. I found a K2-3L with no other parts, just the chassis. (no suspension/motor/tranny/etc.)

I want to buy a rtr or an artr so i can just buy the rover body. Anyone know any links or sites that sell rtr or artr kits?
I want to do this first because i have no idea how to put them together yet....i wanna learn, but just want something that i can buy and play with for now.

I guess i kinda just need someone to explain briefly the basic steps in the build process. What basics do i have to buy to build a basic running Land Rover scale off roader?
Im not looking to spend over $400 as of now (ie: i will not be getting a Bruiser)

I appreciate your guys patience as i know i sound like a clueless beginner....and i am.

thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Nor-CalRCRC

About the only way I know of to do what you are trying to do is to buy used on ebay or this forum. There isn't really a ready to run scale crawler that I know of anyway (there are lots of people on this forum that know way more about the subject than I do though).

You should be able to find a crawler that would fit your needs for a first ready to run rig that you can mount a Land Rover body to on ebay or in the for sale section of this forum. Might take a few weeks though especially if you want to keep the total cost below $400 including a body.

One issue though,,,, is,,, to have a very scale rig the wheelbase is extremely important. It won't look scale if the wheels aren't centered in the wheel wells. This means, if you do buy something from ebay or from this site, expect that you will still have to do mechanical modifications to accomodate the body you want and still have it look scale. Track width and tire/wheel size are also major components of a scale look and will be a concern with trying to just bolt a body on something.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerlwb View Post
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies.

I have found the suggested chassis online (k2-3L), but cant find a rtr or artr K2-3L kit to buy. I found a K2-3L with no other parts, just the chassis. (no suspension/motor/tranny/etc.)

I want to buy a rtr or an artr so i can just buy the rover body. Anyone know any links or sites that sell rtr or artr kits?
I want to do this first because i have no idea how to put them together yet....i wanna learn, but just want something that i can buy and play with for now.

I guess i kinda just need someone to explain briefly the basic steps in the build process. What basics do i have to buy to build a basic running Land Rover scale off roader?
Im not looking to spend over $400 as of now (ie: i will not be getting a Bruiser)

I appreciate your guys patience as i know i sound like a clueless beginner....and i am.

thanks
I don't know why you don't want an XC/CC chassis vehicle. That would be a good newbie starting platform IMO. The next best advice I can think of is to buy a used Tamiya Hi-Lift.

The coolest, truly scale trucks got that way because the builders are craftsmen who put in the time, money, and effort that makes a scale truck more than anything you can buy from the store.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 06-04-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

the only way to learn is to build one from ground up i was newb here once (i have another name on here but cant log in for some reason) but i did my research and searching and some more searching and finaly just built my own scale tlt with peej's csc-1 chassis and a tlt kit with some other spare parts and it only cost me about $450 for the whole build. just build one its the best thing to do to learn about them.
87bigblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #11

Like Griz said, the XC is a great chassis to start out with, very builder/newbie friendly, and can be made pretty capable for a scaler.
I have a XC with a clod hard body, and it's one of my favorite basher trucks.
You could also buy a supporting star here at RCC for $20, and access the classifieds and find a nice used truck. However, with a budget of $400, you probably won't get much. Because, like Griz stated, a scaler takes alot of time and work. I don't know many that would part with one for $400
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Oh, and welcome to RCC!!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

yeah I would get a hi lift and go on from that. and when u get better your could buy a 4x4 WK and mfg a frame up and build every thing your self. Good luck and welcome to RCC. Good job on like in landys
cabsover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #13

Hey guys,
Thanks again for the replies.

I think i am going to purchase a Tamiya Touareg (it has the xc chassis) and build up from there. I found a decent kit on Ebay.....and you guys are right in saying that i need to learn and build something im proud of....not just buy it off someone!

Does anyone have any input on what a suitable newbie radio system would be?
I found this one.....any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Futaba-2PL-2...QQcmdZViewItem

I know i need 2 servos (and it comes with them) but thats about all i know. Sharing your knowledge about anything on this subject will help me TREMENDOUSLY! to better understand this.

Also....what general tools do you think i will need for assembling the Touareg?

Your patience is much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by hollerlwb; 06-06-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

if you want "really really" scale, your gonna need to do the wheely king or TLT route. defender 90s have solid axles at both ends of the chassis and are connected via a 3 linked front and 4 linked rear. a toureg chassis will not net you a very scale drive train.

most people on this forum dont really care what kinda suspension you have and long as the body is right, but someone mentioned "something you can be proud of" if your gonna build something you can be proud of why would you only build if half way scale?
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote