Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 4 wheel steer radio options!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 4 wheel steer radio options!!

what radios on the market are capable of independent steering front and rear!!
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

For a straight out of the box controller with out modding, your pretty much looking at 4 channel (or more) stick radios. I haven't seen any 3 channel pistol type controllers that are setup for independent rear steer, just 2 position switches for shifting. You can mod 3 channels pistols ( like the Traxxas TQ3) by changing the out the the 3rd channel switch but that doesn't sound like what your asking.

Futaba's 3PM and it's 3rd channel mixing comes close for a pistol ( I would imagine any 3 channel radio with full 3rd channel mixing would be capable but I only have a 3PM ) but I don't consider it independent steering, the 3rd channel is slaved to the front steer. In other words you can't run the rear steer seperately. You can however run it in 3 modes: front steer only, co-ordinated (rear opposite from the front for tight corners) and crab (rears the same direction as fronts). There are tutorials floating around this site somewhere on how to set up the 3PM and how to mod the Traxxas TQ3.

If anyone else knows of a pistol type controller that will run true independent rear steer with out modding, I would definately be interested in it .
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The now discontinued JR XR3 can do independent rear steer with no mods. The trick is to get the XR3 and NOT the XR3i which is the newer version of that radio.

You can also go the Spektrum route and get the DX3. It's the same exact radio as the XR3 but with Spektrum. And the same holds true; you gotta get the DX3, not the newer version, which is the DX3.0
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

JR XR3 or Spectrum DX3 (not the 3.0). Both are now discontinued, but can be found for sale used online. The DX3 is based off the XR3, so they are very similar. Both have grip mounted 3 position switch that self centers. The position of this switch is kind of difficult to use, so many have swapped the A and B switches. It is not necessary, it just makes it easier to use. Here's a link for how to do this: anyone mod a jr xr3i??

Also the Nomadio React can do independant rear steer. It is a 4 channel pistol radio. You can even have proportional rear steer with the grip mounted thumb wheel. Downside is the price, but I sure would like to have one.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote