Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Waterproofing!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Waterproofing!!!

So I've seen other threads about waterproofing, but didn't find all the anwsers I'm lookin for....I've seen using balloons works, but how does that effect the elecs. heating up and such? I thought about using saran wrap, because it's lighter and maybe allow the heat to excape a little better?!?
Also, I've heard waterproof the servos as well, but have seen basic servos unprotected and do fine in water?!?
Last....lights, could I just gob some threadlock or rubber cement over the bulbs, along with any exposed wire?

Anything you've done thats worked for ya is what I'm lookin for, shoe goo, hot glue, ballons, elec. tape, silicone grease...

Thanks
suspekAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Search!!!<all I gotta say
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

thats what I'm sayin, I did a search, but didn't quite get all the info I was lookin for. I found nuthin about saran wrap...heard a little about shoo goo, saw a lot using balloons, but no solutions for the heat issues.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

if you have an esc wrapped in a balloon and submerged underwater then it should stay cool anyway. Plus, you could get a moped v16 and youll have no heat problems. Thats what I run in mine and it takes almost a whole pack to heat it up and I run the F*** out of it.
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Heat on the esc in our low speed crawlers is not usually an issue.

I found the balloon and vaseline around the wires and opening works good. I double ballooned the last time because the balloon had got tears in it from use.
The Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't go with the saran wrap. Too thin and too hard to make sure it's fully sealed around electronics. Note that some esc's and servos are waterproof which is why you may have seen people running them with no protection.

As for lights (I'm assuming you mean led's, right?), probably shoe-gooing up the connections is your best bet. Are you running them off of a 9V or your battery pack? If a 9V, you'd probably want to balloon/seal that as well.

Chris
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Yeah, LEDs...off the 9v. I'll wrap em in balloons then with the shoe goo. The vaseline sounds like it'd get gunked up. Also, what about the battery...I have a wired up 3x3 set-up and the solder tabs are exposed! Wrap it too?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

liquid electrical tape. Just make sure everythings clean clean clean before you put it on
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote