Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: ax-10 scorpion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #1

Default ax-10 scorpion

pros and cons on this? i came across this forum and love it! i really want to get a crawler now and i came across this kit... is it an awesome kit? it looks awesome... any help and advice will be awesome! thanks alot guys!
yenrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #2

Default awesome

from what i can see and have read,,

the knuckles are weak and the shocks and tires are junk..

with those prices in mind, i say its the crawler to buy if your new to the sport like myself.. (cheap fixes)

good luck with your choice and trust these guys,, they know it all man
skoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Pros....Name it. The whole thing is a pro...
CONS...well, I will let know when I find one.
TEAM-JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM-JCJ View Post
Pros....Name it. The whole thing is a pro...
CONS...well, I will let know when I find one.

agreed
skoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoooter View Post
from what i can see and have read,,

the knuckles are weak and the shocks and tires are junk..
thats bs..it will work just fine as a startup crawler

when people put brushless motors and esc's on it and lipos off course it will break as most things will, it wasnt designed for that much power
jeepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #6

i really like the way it looks... and from looking on different forums most people sell their crawlers almost no less that $500 so i figure, $250 plus radios that i have laying around all i should need would be a good servo and motor... but it looks BA
Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

It is BA...
When asked how this thing performs, I tell it like it is. I dont say I like something or claim its best simply besause I own one...Ive been into R/C for over 20 years so I know a little about a little.
I took mine out yesterday for a while and beat the snot out of it.
Heres my damage report...
Rear driveshaft kept falling off at the tranny...Why? Becasue my dumb *** didnt tighten the set screw enough.

Lost steering...why? Cause I stripped the stock plastic servo horn! Wonder why that happened, I mean my servo only delivers 333oz of torque!!! Again my fault!!!
Im new to the crawler scene, but for what I am going to do with my crawler which is just play around here and there..IT is awesome. As for going into comps with it, Well I honestly have no idea as I have never even been or seen a comp around here.
Just my .02
TEAM-JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #8

can anyone tell me the best ESC and motor and servo to put in it when i finally sell some stuff and pick one up?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenrec View Post
can anyone tell me the best ESC and motor and servo to put in it when i finally sell some stuff and pick one up?
Novak Rooster Crawler with Integy 55t is a good start for a good price. If you want to spend more money the Mamba Max is a great ESC that can go brushed or brushless. I have both available, but do not have a good brushless motor suggestion. You could check out Holmes Hobbies here in the vendors section for some great brushless motors. Also Kevin at the TEAM TCS has some good brushless motors too. Just depends on how much you wanna spend.
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

If you throw a 55t motor in the AX10 and run it on 7.2 volts, you'll like it just the way it is. The shocks are fine, not sure why anyone would call them "junk" unless they didn't build them properly. Yes, they're plastic, but I've yet to notice mine leaking, and operation is very smooth. Far as the knuckles go, I'm not sure what some folks expect from a plastic composite, but they seem to withstand some pretty hardcore use. They key to longevity is finesse. If you notice anything binding up to the point that the wheels stop while on the throttle, well... STOP! I treat the truck as I used to treat my XJ before installing the Dana 44 - very gingerly. I'll wait for the aluminum knuckles before getting too crazy.
85V8XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

the axiom its the only rockcrawler kit available.... i dont have one but just search and read the review

250$ for the kit and you will need

tx and rx ... a tq2 .... less than 20$
servo ... tower pro 20$
motor ... a common lathe 20$
esc a moped 30-35$
battery and charger .... many options

its a good star ... and just add this stuff and you are ready to kick some rocks

if you are a total newbie and want a rtr out of the box.... the wheelyking is for you .... but you have to convert it to a rockcrawler.. so you will need

tires, lockers extend the WB , better servo, and put a lathe motor ... like 100$ in all of these and you will have a decent rock crawler

Last edited by andres-tavares; 08-27-2007 at 03:02 PM.
andres-tavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

im also new to the crawling scean and trying to deside which direction i want to go i was looking this way, i am still doing my reachearch though ;)
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #13

I received my Scorpion 2 days ago. Put it together, Installed my electronics. And have been out in the front yard on my rock pile testing and tweaking. Happy with it so far. " Need to tighten the heck out of the drive shaft set screws though, considered drilling a hole all the way through after the second time the shaft fell off".
LukeRockWalker is offline   Reply With Quote