Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: ax-10 or w/k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ax-10 or w/k

hi all,
i'm torn between the ax-10 and the wheely king,my son has the wheely king,now i want to get a crawler for my self, just dont know which one to get,all i'll be doing is mucking around not comp work with the trucks.

can you guys help me to decide, how is the ax-10 holding up,
any advice would be great...

thanks in advance...

cheers tony....
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

My vote would go for the AX10. Axles aren't as wide as the WK, although with the AX10 you'll need electronics. And if your son has a WK, might as well try the AX10
The AX10 is much more capable straight out of the box then the WK as a crawler.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 09-07-2007 at 02:59 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

No question ax10
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #4

ax10 is an out of the box crawler the wk is not.. .. just depends on what you want you said crawler id go with the ax10!
nyxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So far the only problems I have noticed with the AX10 are cheap, quick and easy fixes. Like the upper rear link poping out and shock caps poping off.
quads4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you get tired of going slow the wk makes a fun little basher. If your not going to do comps get a rig that can do both,bash when u want or modify and crawl. wk comes rtr- ax10 no. If you just want to kick your sons a$$ on the rocks get an ax-10.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #7

Default Ax-10

AX-10 all the way bro
traxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

ax-10 all ax-10 all ax-10 all the way

i have had mine bult and running for 2 days and it is an object that wont stop giving
rockdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

It depends on how much time and money you want to spend, the ax10 comes complete all you need is $150.00 in electronics(if you don't have them already) and your off and going, the wheely king won't crawl out of the box, minimum you have to teare down the axles and lock the diffs, not to mention all the mods you have to do to really make it a crawler, you can make it into a dang nice crawler if you want to put in some $ and hours

from what you said, if you just want to bash with your son, go with the ax10, if you want the experience of building and modding a crawler, go with the WK, but be ready to show it some love.
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The Wheely King is plenty capable with the right mods, and odds are you'll get out for a lot less money than the AX-10, provided that you don't go and change all of the WK's electronics right off the bat. I agree that the AX is more capable overall, but if you're just playing around, you'll never know the difference, in other words, it might be better, but if you're in situations that the WK is able to handle without trouble, then the AX's increased capability won't benefit you at all.

Another reason to get a WK is that you could inerchange parts with your son, instead of having to buy spares for two trucks, you can buy spares for one and whichever one happens to break, you can use those parts.

You can't really go wrong with either choice, but I think for what you want, the WK will cover your purposes for less money.
S1NN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #11

S1NN3R said it best. The WK would be the better option for you currently. It doesn't take much to turn it into a Crawler. Look in the WK section and you will see a step by step build up that should be sufficient for you. It is nice to have parts for just one rig. If you want to go beyond the bashing, the WK can take you a long way.
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

I would pick the wheely king but its up to you
kingcrawler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

i love my wheelyking... all i had to do is make new links and the chassis from cutting board plastic.

Power_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have really enjoyed my WK. To me, part of the fun of crawling is the modification process: build, test, break, rebuild, retest rebreak repeat...

You can get a RTR WK for ~$220, then add in about $50 in mods (gears, links, motor, etc...) and you'll have a very capable crawler. The AX-10 on the other hand, is pushing I think $250+, but then you need all the electronics ($200 easy). So unless you have all the electronics already, go for the WK.

my 2 cents
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

AX-10 in my opinion.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I say AX-10. If you want a crawler, get a crawler. The WK isn't a crawler without mods.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
I say AX-10. If you want a crawler, get a crawler. The WK isn't a crawler without mods.
Neither was anything else before the Hustler and Scorpion and a scant few others. The Clod was not a crawler without mods, the Twin Force wasn't, the TLT wasn't, the TXT, the Highlift, the E-Maxx, the list goes on. It not being a crawler out of the box has little bearing on it's capabilities later on.
S1NN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1NN3R View Post
Neither was anything else before the Hustler and Scorpion and a scant few others. The Clod was not a crawler without mods, the Twin Force wasn't, the TLT wasn't, the TXT, the Highlift, the E-Maxx, the list goes on. It not being a crawler out of the box has little bearing on it's capabilities later on.

Quite so. I have owned and modded all of those vehicles. From what I saw at the nationals, the AX-10 is awesome out of the box. It sounds like he wants a crawler, why not get one built for it that needs no modding? You can always change the AX-10, and it will at least have an advantage out of the gate. I also know that the transmission and axles are better suited for crawling. More compact tranny with no slipper, narrower axles with stronger axle shafts.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 09-13-2007 at 09:28 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
If you get tired of going slow the wk makes a fun little basher. If your not going to do comps get a rig that can do both,bash when u want or modify and crawl.
The AX10 could easily be made into a fun little basher as well. Just cause it's an "out of the box" crawler,doesn't mean it can't be bashed. Gear it up,tune the shocks different and put some horsepower in it,walla,a good basher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
From what I saw at the nationals, the AX-10 is awesome out of the box. It sounds like he wants a crawler, why not get one built for it that needs no modding? You can always change the AX-10, and it will at least have an advantage out of the gate.

I'd agree,an AX10 would be the wise choice.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote