Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: best water proof electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default best water proof electronics

what are the best escs and servos for a bogger/trail truck and what would be a good motor with speed and torque
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

mtroniks and LRP make some waterproof esc's. Hitec makes waterproof servos. wrap your receiver in a balloon and double zip tie it at the top with some grease between the two ties. As for the motor, just plain water isn't bad for them. Infact people run there motors under water to break them in. It just makes them wear out a little faster. the motor killer is mud. I would use a cheap motor with lower turns and more voltage. a titan 550 out of a e-maxx would work good and they are pretty cheap. If your rig has ball bearings, be prepared to tear it down and lube them alot. Ball bearings hate water!!!
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i was wondering has anyone tried using the spray on version of plasti dip on the receiver i wonder if that would work instead of putting it in a balloon cause you would be able to cover the whole reciever with it and wouldnt have to worry about anything
YAKIMA RC RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAKIMA RC RACER View Post
i was wondering has anyone tried using the spray on version of plasti dip on the receiver i wonder if that would work instead of putting it in a balloon cause you would be able to cover the whole reciever with it and wouldnt have to worry about anything
you couldn't seal all the plug ports. And if you did, it would be a PITA to remove them when it comes time. That reminds me. plasti dip your battery aswell.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

i think im going to use bushings so i dont ruin to berings and its cheaper the mtroniks are only for 8t 15t and 11t but they also have boat ones which would be the best one to get
Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazerboy View Post
i think im going to use bushings so i dont ruin to berings and its cheaper the mtroniks are only for 8t 15t and 11t but they also have boat ones which would be the best one to get
those are just the motor limits. for instance, the 8t will accept any motor that is 8 turns or higher. You don't have to use an 8 turn motor. And yeah, bushings are the way to go for a bogger.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

hey grapegoat so i could use this motor with the 15t esc
Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thats a brushless motor. You will need a mamba 25 or quark 33 for that motor.
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

opps didnt see that i think im going to use this esc do u think it would work and is it any good i know its a marine one. what would be a good motor between 20t-35t ish

Last edited by bigblazerboy; 10-08-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: didnt include the link
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

we dont need no stinking waterproofing!!

oh wait...maybe.

i use a cheapo LRP esc and a really expensive radio but now ive got a tq3
for my servos i just plastidipped the boards inside. nothing on batts or motor. and my bearings love me!
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
opps didnt see that i think im going to use this esc do u think it would work and is it any good i know its a marine one. what would be a good motor between 20t-35t ish
I wouldn't use a marine one. Get one made for a car. The Viper eco20 Is the one I would get. Its got a 20 turn limit, 4-8 cell input and its fairly cheep. for a motor, well just plain water wont hurt your motor but mud will kill them. I would use a cheap motor, a mabuchi or a 550 titan out of an e-maxx. and I would use a 7-8 cell battery. Seal your battery in plasti-dip.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

yeah the viper eco20 is what im gonna get but im still thinking about motor i dont think im gonna do to much mudd bogging so i migh get a titan550 for that but for normal water and trail im still lokking for ideas
Old 10-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
yeah the viper eco20 is what im gonna get but im still thinking about motor i dont think im gonna do to much mudd bogging so i migh get a titan550 for that but for normal water and trail im still lokking for ideas
for just regular water and trail just get a normal lathe motor.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

thanks i dont know that much about the motors and the turns but you guys are really helpful thanks grapegoat and every one else