Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: We are in the trust tree, are we not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #1

Default We are in the trust tree, are we not?

ok, so just getting thru the first stage of building a wk rock crawler. I extended the wheel base changed out the gearing but I got a new battery also based on the sugestion of someone else. I bought the Orion 3900mah, I have noticed that running this battery makes the ESC extremely hot and the truck will actually stop running. Too much battery not a good enough ESC?
WKRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Its not the battery, the stock ESC is total crap for crawling. You deffinitely want to look into replacing it with something better.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKRYAN View Post
ok, so just getting thru the first stage of building a wk rock crawler. I extended the wheel base changed out the gearing but I got a new battery also based on the sugestion of someone else. I bought the Orion 3900mah, I have noticed that running this battery makes the ESC extremely hot and the truck will actually stop running. Too much battery not a good enough ESC?
We need more info on your setup.
battery voltage, steering setup, gearing.
Unless you changed the voltage of your battery to something higher (8.4V, 9.6V, etc), that shouldn't have any effect on your ESC. It sounds like you changed the gearing at the same time as the battery. What was the gearing before and what is it now?

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 11-02-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
the stock ESC is total crap for crawling. You deffinitely want to look into replacing it with something better.
Not really, I was fine running my Tamiya kit ESC with a 65T lathe moter for quite some time. At some point yes, you will want a better one, but if your $$ limited, there are better ways to spend it before an ESC making a WK crawler.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #5

It was completely stock WK and changed out the gearing with a 96t spur and 15t pinion.

Basically just followed the HPI stage 1 build
http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2007061801.html

then I added the new battery which is still a 7.2.

Money is not a concern, I guess just guidence on which route should I take to fix the heat issue?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

If you put the old battery back in it doesn't run hot?
With the new battery does it get hot right away or after crawling for a while. Since you get more crawling time with the new battery maybe the heat is building up and causing it to shut down.

I had that problem with my Mamba25 on 11.1V with a Revolver Black. In a competition I never had any problems. But if I took it out to fun crawl with it, the ESC would overheat and thermal shut down after about 10 minutes, in a competition it never runs for more than 5 minutes at a time.

There are two paths you can take to upgrade.
-Buy a new ESC
-Buy a new motor

Most likely the 27T motor is making the ESC work really hard. My advice would be to upgrade the motor to a 45T-55T. If money is no object then upgrade the ESC at the same time.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #7

Yes it is only occurring with the bigger battery, I will go pick up a new motor and see how that goes. Wanted to go for a bigger motor and better esc anyways.