Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: AX10. options, help, info.... PLEASE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Post AX10. options, help, info.... PLEASE!

Hey all a few quick questions from the land down under.

wont go on about how much i am hanging out to get one of these.. so..

1. How do you tell the first gen to second gen ax10 kits? after reading around im gathering the feeling there has been upgraded hex's, and possibly some rework on the lizards!?? TRUE/FALSE?? HOW!??

2. 50t lathe will keep me occupied and happy for a few months i would expect?! How quickly will brushed motors(high wind) go through bushes and break armatures?

3. FIRST upgrades.. alloy C's and steering knuckles, with the plastic rear lockouts(should i want rear steer another set of alloy C's and alloy knuckles)?! or am i better off with a set of m3 moabs or losi claws?

4. possibly the TCS servo bracket is a better first mod with the ball joint issues?? is the posi track worth the dollars, in the case of stripping lockers???

5. battery wise.. 2x3300nihim packs are ideal for 'playing with'? or do i bite the big bucks bullet and go the lipo!?? one on charge one in truck....

6. hex/wheel options.. its a 17mm hex correct? any 2.2 wheel SHOULD fit!??

7. does the ano green and betty body or bug body, do everyone elses head in? Very over seeing so many ax's with bettys or bug bodys.. and SO over the green!! unless its gettin smoked ;)

8. Anyone who is running these on a daily basis, or giving them hard abuse(large falls, drops, tight locations, lots of stress).... What suggestion do you offer on 'broken parts' if you had the chance to purchase new again, what would you order along with the original kit, so to speak!

9. anyone got one for sale!??

10. Sick of my babble!? Think you can help!?? PLEASE do!!

would also love some input on the drive shafts and if revo ones will fit for a longer wheelbase to but thats for another time (TCS scale looks incredible!)

Thanks for any info you can shed guys. Much appreciated. Keep up the pics, and keep on crawlin

Foolsp33d

Last edited by Foolsp33d; 11-04-2007 at 05:01 AM. Reason: fixed my typos..
Foolsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2007, 05:52 AM   #2

I use 55turn motor its great . Batteries i use 2/3 aa with 3 cells on each side of axal .or go Lipo . The hexs are 12mm not 17mm and 2.2 rims fit but must have 12mm hex . Only thing i have broken is the steerring hubs , so either alloy ones or i just epoxied the spare hole and around it . i use a bug body so i can lower it as far as i can .
hagass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

First most of these have been answered and you can serach this forum to find answers...but I'll answer most for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsp33d View Post
1. How do you tell the first gen to second gen ax10 kits? after reading around im gathering the feeling there has been upgraded hex's, and possibly some rework on the lizards!?? TRUE/FALSE?? HOW!??
Upgraded hexes is true. A member posted pics of the change. If you buy now you would get them as he posted this awhile back.

Quote:
2. 50t lathe will keep me occupied and happy for a few months i would expect?! How quickly will brushed motors(high wind) go through bushes and break armatures?
These are lathe motors, made for like industrial duty it seems. The brushes go for quite some time and since we aren't seeking top RPM the brushes just keep going for a long time. Now a 19T or even 8T motor can eat a set of brushes very fast, but those spin much much faster.

Quote:
3. FIRST upgrades.. alloy C's and steering knuckles, with the plastic rear lockouts(should i want rear steer another set of alloy C's and alloy knuckles)?! or am i better off with a set of m3 moabs or losi claws?
This is 2 questions?

Get the rear straight axles and adaptors. You can't use rear steer in 2.2 comps so no need to keep the knuckles in the back.

Tires go and look in the Tire Section. Personally the Rock Claws are the best I've used, have not tried the Moabs or the Rubicons.

Quote:
4. possibly the TCS servo bracket is a better first mod with the ball joint issues??
4 Link is great, I use the RCP ones, but the TCS are gonna work well too.

Quote:
6. hex/wheel options.. its a 17mm hex correct? any 2.2 wheel SHOULD fit!??
Nope its 12mm, any HPI, Traxxas, Tamiya 2.2's work. RPM makes them too.

Quote:
8. Anyone who is running these on a daily basis, or giving them hard abuse(large falls, drops, tight locations, lots of stress).... What suggestion do you offer on 'broken parts' if you had the chance to purchase new again, what would you order along with the original kit, so to speak!
Seems many people have driveshafts popping. I only did it once, but do a search for "Driveshaft fix" you'll see ideas to use Traxxas stuff as well as the common zip tie fix.

Quote:
10. Sick of my babble!? Think you can help!?? PLEASE do!!
Yeah next time use a search, its not often people are taking alot of time to help the newbies and their constant questions. Search is your friend.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

As for the batteries, it's pretty simple, you spend more, you get more. 3300 NiMHs will give you all the runtime and all the power you really need, what you get when you spend more on LiPos is lighter weight and a smaller package (who would want that? ;) ) that you can fit anywhere. A lipo will fit on the links or axle much better than a MH pack so you can get your CG lower. However, if you're in a thrifty mood, you can split your MH packs into two sticks, three cells long and mount them on the underside of the body mounts on opposite sides of the truck. I know a few people who have done this, and it works well for lowering the CG without spending big bucks on a LiPo.
S1NN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

The detailed answers are much appreciated, thanx for putting in your thoughts and recomendations!

I actually did search and read through 70% of the ax10 thread.. just having the information setout over 30 or 40 posts becomes a little hard to keep track of. thus the need for a single post with required info. sorry for making life difficult

As for the elec. side of things, i had a M03 mini cooper running a LRP unlimited esc coupled to a variety of motors. from a 10 wind custom, though to 19x2. the best i found with the cooper was an 11x2 untill i threw an armature, would easily clock a legit 65 kmh.. (not scaled!) i was running venom 3300 packs and am planning on stripping these down to make the 'saddle packs'.
Always wanted a brushless, but the M03 gearbox would of HATED me with a passion putting it through that torture!

Aus. dosnt have a HUGE Rc crawl scene atm, but from what i have seen the majority run clods or WK's Maxx etc. dare say a 2.2 class wont come here for a little while yet... so rear steer is a viable option...

OH! another two quick simple questions....

First: pinions..what is available(RCC's will all fit?) what is the pitch of the spur basically?

Secondly: Brushless.. is it worthy of dropping the coins or notes as the case may be, on either a Goat or a Max, rather than opting for the lathe motor and ESC?-will the brushless majorly out perform the brushed in terms of braking and overall life span?

Have had MANY nitro 4x4(savage) and have a few 1:1's(zukis) so not a complete newbie to the RC/4wd scene.. more so a newbie to the ax10.. but in all i think we all are arnt we!?

Again, thanks for the input guys, feel free to add comments and other suggestions as they come to mind.
Foolsp33d
Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

you would be suprised how many people there are in aus and most of us have both super and 2.2 and alot of us are building scalers as well

hop on thecrawlpit.com (its down at the moment but will be back soon) if you want to meet up with other guys, there a massive help

we just held our national comp and i scored myself a free ax10, and i'm in the process of building it now
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

ah yeh, been waitin for Crawlpit to get back up and running. Have spoken to benno and nick previous(year+ ago) at a comp in ringwood. if all goes well, will order through TTS.. benno reckons two weeks till delivery..

argh, where in melbourne are ya mate!? out the north east burbs here.. when you are heading out next, gis a yell..
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I have my new ax10 scorpion and i plan on running an integy 55t, moped v16 esc, hitec 645 servo, tq3 controller, and a 3300 venom 6 cell. Im hoping that this set up will last me awhile tell i can start hardcore upgrading.
deer_assassin is offline   Reply With Quote