Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: help me make up my mind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #1

Question help me make up my mind

Hello alla yall out there.I am new to the site and havent ran a rc car in 8-10 years. I found my old (original) blackfoot the other day and had a lil fun chasing the dogs and wife around the backyard. I think i would like to make a crawler. i have rulled out he clod buster do to the size factor, and leaning to the WK (RTR) or the Axial scorpion. Looking to see what the Big differance is with them. It seems the Wk is a great start and the rig and parts are less expensive than the Axial. I'm not looking to go comp, Just just a lil fun crawlin. A friend has a wk with about $60 or so into it and it is capable enough for my likings. But a few buck differance for the Axial kit doen't bug me. Please dont Burnn me about my 15+ year old blackfoot. It was and still is a fun WORKING rc.

Last edited by Bellerose78; 11-20-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Bellerose78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Hey man, Im fairly new to crawling myself, and I opted to custom build a scaler from scratch, its really not much cheaper than buying a kit though, alot of guys are selling kits on here in the for sale threads, but if your buying new the stock ax10 is a whole lot more for the crawling than a stock wk for sure. but there are tons of options any way you go.
Steveakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #3

thanks, however I would like to buy one and mod it first before I get in to any custom builds. Good luck with yours. I wish you the best and again thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

ax-10 best rig out of the box just add radio esc, motor, servo and a battery
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you want to jump right into crawling, get the AX10. But if you want to do a little bashing and slowly upgrade to crawler class, get the wheely king.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

IMHO,the AX-10 is the better option. Fun as crap in stock form. If/when you decide to do more to it or start running comps,theres some REALLY cool options and hop ups out right now. Here's some great options....RCP Crawlers AX10 Scorpion Theres more to come as well
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellerose78 View Post
A friend has a wk with about $60 or so into it and it is capable enough for my likings. But a few buck differance for the Axial kit doen't bug me. Please dont Burnn me about my 15+ year old blackfoot. It was and still is a fun WORKING rc.
If the few extra bucks doesn't bother you, get the AX. It's a great platform to start with, and has a ton of aftermarket hop-ups already. Learn to drive it stock and then pick your upgrades as you need them.

As for the The 15+ year old Blackfoot, I still have my 20 year old Falcon
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #8

Nice! seems everyone say to go with th AX a bit more but ready to crawl
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #9

Bellerose78, The WK is going to be more work to get it to a crawler, but dont be a girl, its more fun to build and mod pieces to get it to work then to do just little motor and batery upgrades.
WKRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKRYAN View Post
Bellerose78, The WK is going to be more work to get it to a crawler, but dont be a girl, its more fun to build and mod pieces to get it to work then to do just little motor and batery upgrades.
Putting a motor and battery in an AX-10 gets it rolling,well,along with the rest of the electrics. Stock,they do perform very well,I was impressed. BUT,theres a list a mile long with changes you can do and possabilities. To say ANY platform is easy to build into a top performer,is dead wrong. Theres a ton of testing and tuning with ANY rig to dial it in to your likings.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #11

Dont get me wrong even a comepletely custom rig will never be done... I have been trying to talk bellerose here into the WK so I am giving him a little crap to get him going..!

Last edited by WKRYAN; 11-20-2007 at 10:32 PM.
WKRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKRYAN View Post
ha! right on! :-P

building is 1/2 the fun. I have really enjoyed tinkering with my WK. For an out of the box, RTR, you can't beat it. I got mine for $220, then for another $50 or so, I had links, motor, drive shafts, and gears. That made a great crawler, by no means "comp worthy", but still a blast to drive. The only problem I see with the AX, is if you're starting from scratch, you'd need to buy all the electronics separate, so unless you already have all the appropriate stuff, I'd personally go for the WK.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #13

Talking

Thanks all.Again I not going for comp Quality. I just want a kooler rig than WKRYAN But I do see all these posts of mods and full builds. I see how it is a huge part of the fun...thanks again to all.