Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Motor / esc questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Motor / esc questions

Ok, Im a noob to the crawler scene as well as electric so I need to ask. I know these are total noob questions, I ran a search but didnt find anything. Also checked on google but still need some explaining..

Turns on a motor.. The higher the turn, the slower the truck but the longer the run times? The lower the turn, the faster it is, with shorter run times? Is this correct? If so, just how slow is a 80 turn? And how long are the run times on lets say a typical 7 cell setup? What is a good middle range turn number to go with? I want as long as run times as possible but dont want something thats a snail slow either.. Any suggestions? (Im not into competition. Just a backyard crawler)

Also about esc's.. Will basically any esc work? Most the time the racers need a esc that handles there low turned motors, but since were using a high turn, will anything pretty much work then? Also a person has to have a esc specifically designed for brushless motors if ya wanna run a brushless correct?

Again, Im sorry about the noob-ieness of the questions, just something I really wanted to verify before I spend the money. And this is the best place I could think of to get the best answers..
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

All of your assumptions on power and runtime are correct. A high wind motor will pull paltry amperage on 7 cell, not have much wheelspeed, and generally give you extended runtimes. Expect 30 minutes in a 2.2 rig with 1500 mah with a 55t. Either increase the voltage on a motor or decrease the wind count to increase your amperage and power available. For the longest runtimes use high wind motors on high volts. A 55t motor on 3s or 9 cell nimh is quite peppy, but the runtime is still pretty decent depending on your throttle finger. If the reasoning is taken too far you get diminishing returns because of the extra battery weight. Switching to lipo helps on high voltage setups.

Brushless ESCs control brushless motors, and any ESC that takes a low turn motor will also take a higher turn motor.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

ok thats what I thought.. I think Ill just get a 55turn. 30 minute+ runtimes is good with me.. Thanks for the help!
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

No problemo.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
All of your assumptions on power and runtime are correct. A high wind motor will pull paltry amperage on 7 cell, not have much wheelspeed, and generally give you extended runtimes. Expect 30 minutes in a 2.2 rig with 1500 mah with a 55t. Either increase the voltage on a motor or decrease the wind count to increase your amperage and power available. For the longest runtimes use high wind motors on high volts. A 55t motor on 3s or 9 cell nimh is quite peppy, but the runtime is still pretty decent depending on your throttle finger. If the reasoning is taken too far you get diminishing returns because of the extra battery weight. Switching to lipo helps on high voltage setups.

Brushless ESCs control brushless motors, and any ESC that takes a low turn motor will also take a higher turn motor.

very good information for noobs like us!
pickup1 is offline   Reply With Quote