Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: steering question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 03:02 AM   #1

Default steering question

i was wondering about the steering on the ax10
my front tires camber looking at it head on you can tell that the top of the tire leans out if im turning left or right they both do it
just wondering if i have assembled it correctly or if i have to flip any thing around for example turning left looking at it both wheels look like this

\ \ then the opposite for right turns / / going straight they are perfectly vertical
kerruptax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2007, 04:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

it's the same on mine
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Sounds like your runnin possitive caster (top of the king-pin on front c-hub is leaning forward) TO FIX: swop the c-hubs to the oppisite side, they are different side to side. That sould fix the leaning outward in a turn
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #4

thanks gonna try this swap later on
kerruptax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #5

I made the same mistake on mine. Easy enough to fix.
Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah, the instructions say "note direction", but they do not tell you what you are looking for, took me a half hour to figure it out . but all is good now. my ax is workin great
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have my end pieces set up correctly, and it was just fine. I swapped the shock limiter from the outside to the inside fo the shock body last night, now the ride height is lower. I now have the same issue again. I haven't measured the wheel base yet, but if it's shorter than 12.5", I'm adjusting the links to get it where it needs to be. I haven't even driven this thing yet.....I'm waiting for parts to show up, but am trying to get it set up correctly before I go out. i want to get used to the 12.5 wheel base, in case I do comps in the future. Otherwise.....it's harder to go back.
Hotrodvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Hotrod: not sure what's going on but just double check every thing, like links in the correct holes on the chassis etc...lowering the rig should not have an effect on the set-up. One other thing to check is the Ramp-angle of the axle. The front axle output shaft should still be facing toward the back of the rig but also be tilted up not quite 40deg angle from horizontal+-. The top of the King pins ( bolts holding C-hubs to steering knuckles) should be leaning towards the back of the rig as well(negative caster) if they are not then your upper-link is too long or you've still got the C-hubs on backwards. Hope this helps, don't know what to say otherwise. And since there is no camber adjusting available, the front end is never going to look just like an off-road or on-road front end,My wheel (even with clockable C-hubs) still almost looks like it wants to lean-out .

Last edited by cato; 12-22-2007 at 10:46 AM.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote