Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Droop shock setups advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Droop shock setups advice.

I'd like some outside opinions on which would work better. In the following pic I have the blue shocks angled as my old setup and the small black shocks as my idea for what might work better. Am I heading in the right direction? Other info that might be needed, I'll be running 1000wt oil and might add internal springs, upper link position is not definite either. Also, if I run the shocks on the lower links I will make mounts that are part of the links. Those clamps are only temp.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I had my droop shocks layed over like the blue ones and had very bad torque twist. Now I have them standing more up right and love it. I think the vertical they are the better in some cases. Just my .02
juststartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That's what I had read, vertical is better for droop. My old setup had torque twist somewhat. The real problem was that the weight is all on the axles and the chassis didn't always want to settle back down. I guess that is in the need of internal springs though. Oh well, if you're afraid to tweak a design you'll never improve it.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Got some other advice that mounting the shocks to the lower links might not be the most stable thing. So here's some beautiful artwork to describe a couple other options. Left would be the blue shocks mounted vertically, seems kinda tall to me. On the right we have the smaller shocks mounted farther out at the axle. Bot ways requiring new upper shock mounts.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Your drawing looks great for a better shock angle. Don't movethe links they look good where they are.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The links are where they are now because I switched from a maxx tranny to a pede. Haven't tested the new angle but was hoping it would work out. So I guess as long as I get the shocks vertical and mounted to/near the axle then it doesn't matter too much which shock I use right? I doubt it would effect COG that much. Just might take some extra cutting of the body for the longer shocks.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Just limit travel with the shorter black shocks
Old 12-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Great avatar cole82.

Ok, so I threw something together this evening, so laugh if you want, its temporary. I got the shocks out by the axles, vertical, and like the stance a little lowered. I might not have enough flex though. Hard to tell without tires in the second pic, but it seems like between 40-45 degrees. Disregarding the materials and design, are the angles of everything about right?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

IMO that is plenty of articulation.
Slap a body on and no one will see the temp setup
Old 12-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Yeah, except that the temp rigging flexes along with it. I have frame flex like a 70s chevy haha. If that's enough flex, then on to figuring out better mounts. Also those shocks have clicker pen springs inside of them, which seems to work better than none at all. Might eventually get the internal springs RCP has, or cut some TLT springs which I think I read will fit inside.

You were right, it's plenty of flex. Only after bolting on the tires does it become clear to me though.

Last edited by Jamus; 12-22-2007 at 08:02 PM.