Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Pre-Runner Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Pre-Runner Idea

Ok guys - I'm looking at making a pre-runner for a little basher. I was thinking of starting with a Rustler chassis for a jig and building off of it. I'd hack off the rear for a solid axle and making some kind cage that will support the rear mods and what not. The only thing is - I've never laid hands on a Rustler. How wide are they really? I was looking into using a Pro-Line Silverado body(#3229-00). Could I swap in some shorter A-Arms in the front to shorten up the track width if needed? I was thinking of using a WK axle for the rear end, so this will end up being a 2.2 rig.

Anyone have any input?
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Sounds good to me. Much more in depth than my idea of using a Ricky Carmicheal bike converted to a Pre-Runner.
GeneralG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

lol - I'm really thinking I need to shorten the track width in the front though, and the only way I can think of doing so is to bring the A-Arms closer together as shorter arms with really limit the travel. I'm gonna try and find some used Rustler parts on eBay to give me a little info on how to get things rolling. And if anything, the stock Rustler chassis will make a nice skid plate.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have been thinking about building a desert truck for a while too. I wanted to build something similar to Terrible Herbst's 4WD F-150. An RC truck seemed a little more feasible since the Herbsts have ~$500k into that truck.

Anyway, if you use a 1/8 scale buggy front end and a Twin Force axle narrowed just enough to fit 1/8 scale buggy front universals in the rear-- you get a pretty stout set of basher axles that look like prerunner stuff.

If you want the look with the tires tucked under the body like a real prerunner then check out a 1/6 scale bodies. If I remember correctly when I measured it, they fit pretty nicely with those axles. FG just came out with a new stadium truck body that is pretty sweet looking. It's over $100 though.

One other interesting thing-- if you want to do some fab work and make your truck look really scale www.yardstore.com (airplane tools) sells dimple dies that go from 1/16" all the way up to about 1/2". Nothing would look cooler than mini dimple died holes on a mini prerunner.
jsudar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
lol - I'm really thinking I need to shorten the track width in the front though, and the only way I can think of doing so is to bring the A-Arms closer together as shorter arms with really limit the travel. I'm gonna try and find some used Rustler parts on eBay to give me a little info on how to get things rolling. And if anything, the stock Rustler chassis will make a nice skid plate.
Using Bandit A-Arms (P/N 2531X) will decrease the track width by about 1/2". Also, swapping to rear wheels will also narrow it up as they have less offset than typical Rustler front wheels.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I did that to my rc10t3. It looked way hacked and after hrs of effort, its on the shelf. Problem is, the stock a-arms are too wide. Even if you made a custom bulkhead, they would still be too long. So what I am thinking is, 1/6th ranger body, WK rear axle, and use the rc10 front end. oh yeah! better yet, I just started taking a machining coarse and was thinking it would be bitchin to fab up some aluminum I-beams, Radius arms and track bars to build the ultimate 1/6th ranger prerunner.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ok guys - I'm looking at making a pre-runner for a little basher. I was thinking of starting with a Rustler chassis for a jig and building off of it. I'd hack off the rear for a solid axle and making some kind cage that will support the rear mods and what not. The only thing is - I've never laid hands on a Rustler. How wide are they really? I was looking into using a Pro-Line Silverado body(#3229-00). Could I swap in some shorter A-Arms in the front to shorten up the track width if needed? I was thinking of using a WK axle for the rear end, so this will end up being a 2.2 rig.

Anyone have any input?

why don't you build it and then post?

what if...........
maybe if i.......
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

narrowing the front track width is a HUGE issue, im running into the same on my 2.2 Trophy Truck build, ive had to do a ton of work, i used narrowed dark impact buggy arms and a custom hinge center section (hinge pins are 3/4" apart) to get the track width to match the TLT axle.
only thing thats indy that would be close is a touring car front end but with those shorty arms youd have no travel. and tie rods angles etc would be a bug issue with the steep arm angles.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
narrowing the front track width is a HUGE issue, im running into the same on my 2.2 Trophy Truck build, ive had to do a ton of work, i used narrowed dark impact buggy arms and a custom hinge center section (hinge pins are 3/4" apart) to get the track width to match the TLT axle.
only thing thats indy that would be close is a touring car front end but with those shorty arms youd have no travel. and tie rods angles etc would be a bug issue with the steep arm angles.
The Traxxas Rustler has one of the shortest A-Arms for TTs. I'm working on another, simpler, trophy truck design(chassis) and I will be using a set of the rustler arms.

My goal for this design is to cut down some of the elaboration of my previous designs and make it easy to make(machining side) and super cheap for the end users.
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
~THE SCALE SHOP~

theres no way rustler arms are short enough to match a TLT axle width(unless im sadly mistaken)...... 6.6" wide, outside of bearing to outside of bearing
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Boo!!! no a-arms............. I-beams!!!!!!
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
theres no way rustler arms are short enough to match a TLT axle width(unless im sadly mistaken)...... 6.6" wide, outside of bearing to outside of bearing
Well I have an AX10 axle on my list of items to buy for this, and if the front isn't more than 1" wider than the rear I don't think I'd be too bothered by it. I'm definitely going to be trimming the body for clearance though.

I just won a complete Rustler front end on eBay so I can look things over and get some measurements. Now I need a chassis.

Last edited by 2JSC; 02-02-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well I have an AX10 axle on my list of items to buy for this, and if the front isn't more than 1" wider than the rear I don't think I'd be too bothered by it. I'm definitely going to be trimming the body for clearance though.

I just won a complete Rustler front end on eBay so I can look things over and get some measurements. Now I need a chassis.
Make sure you come up with your own way to attach the a arms together, that way you can butt them against one another. The stock mounting adds like an inch or two.
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Oh yeah I know that - I just needed the stuff in my hands to know what I'm dealing with.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #15

This needs to happen, I really like the idea of building a prerunner, there is so much info on this website for an awesome rear suspension setup, inegrated with some a-arms up front. I was just thinking the same thing and searched for prerunner and found this thread.
z50_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

That is my plan too. I have one of TSS's First TT chassis. Trying to figure out the front suspension
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I got the Rustler front clip today. Wow! It's a lot more beefy than what I thought it was going to be. I got it from a guy on eBay. Everything came with it all the way to the wheel nuts and the screws to put it on the main chassis. Talk about complete.

I started another thread asking this question but got no replys... anyone use a Parma 1/8 Silverado body with 2.2's?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #18

What would be a good body to start off with, Im having trouble find 1/8 size bodies. I dont mind the front end being wider than the rear, I actually like the look of the wider front end, more of a "prerunner" look to it. Here is my old 1:1 i sold for financial reasons. Would love to have a scale of it for playing with.

z50_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I'm actualy going to be buying a Parma 1/8 Silverado this weekend. I have some 2.2 HPI Geolandar's that I got from RPP Hobby and start some mock up. If I can't figure out something, I'm going to outsource most of the work.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #20

Default Re: Pre-Runner Idea

I know this post is old but I like the ideas !
I have a rustler striped down and I live 10 minutes from the beach ! SMH
BUZZURK is offline   Reply With Quote