Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: best choice for first nitro truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default best choice for first nitro truck?

Hey guys ,I'm looking at a couple of trucks at PM hobby ,not sure what to go with .

This will be my first venture into the world of nitro .
I've had lots of rc's over the years though ,I'm an old guy ,,lol
I've had clod's ,raced em ,pulled with em ,monster trucked em , bashed em ,,,good times .
I have an rc 10 that is quick . mini LST
I'm doing the crawling thing a swell ,scorpion and a tuber

The trucks I was looking at are the MGT 4.60 and the 8.0
Sounds like the 8.0 is very new and not tried out to much yet ,the 4.60 has been around and works well .

what do you think for first truck ? maybe something else altogether ?
Buddy at PM seems to think these trucks are fairly tough compared to the competition

Thanks for the input .
Crawler Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

So far of all my nitros the Revo was my favorite. I just picked up a MGT 4.60 in a trade but I havent had a chance to drive it yet.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I still have a converted t-maxx, a nitro revo, brushless revo and I had a Savage 25 and I have to say my Revo is the most fun yet. I really love the suspension on it.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pete just my new motor mount for the Revo installed lastnight..I got a set of paddles coming.......

My Revo (nitro) is the only gas truck I've loved. Starts everytime and runs like an Impala!
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #5

my 2 cents..... lst2 if you want an all purpose truck, great basher and great racer but then again the revo is also good at that i just happend to be one of those anti revo's kind of guy, there to easy to handle and i like the challenge of making something not as good better than a revo. so i will say lst2 or even a mega baja or aftershock if u plan on moding it.
rusty_rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #6

for an all purpose nitro truck i would go with the revo...................i've had one for a year and i love it
revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Pete just my new motor mount for the Revo installed lastnight..I got a set of paddles coming.......

My Revo (nitro) is the only gas truck I've loved. Starts everytime and runs like an Impala!
Cool, I got my 8ight and the 10xl motor. Now I'm waiting for my mount to get it up and running.

That reminds me, I don't know if you ever saw my nitro Revo, I might have to bring that with me for you to check it out on Sunday.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Honestly, for a first nitro, the best outfit bang for the buck is the Robitronic Mantis $450 street price. I got out LHS to start carrying them after i got mine so many people want one, they sell a ton of these things.

I've got one and his has turned out to be my favorite r/c ive ever owned.

Reveiw-
http://xtremerc.com/pages/reviews.php?review=54&page=2

Eye Candy

Paul Coleman with it.

TOWER-
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPHA6

Robitronic-
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=robitronic+mantis

Make sure you read up on all nitro stuff so you dont end up going out and buying a t-maxx beacause it looks cool.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I appreciate the input guys ,
I'm posting on another forum as well and it seems like there are a lot of Losi fans .
LST2 seems like a popular choice .

I'm sure any of them will be a blast ,just trying to find the easiest to maintain and run as well .

seems like Revo is the one if you are going to be racing ?
Crawler Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have an all out race LST2. The upkeep seems to be rather high though (even when it was stock). I think the Revo is more suited to a basher / light racer. But if all you are going to do is race a monster.... well i dont think you can get better than the Losi. As for 1/8 Buggy and truggy, Mugen. They are bulletproof. If you are looking to get into those classes i would consider one of these cars. You pay more for them but upkeep is next to nothing. This way you can concentrate on driving and less on wrenching.
Scottish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Maintenance-wise, there's no comparison between a truggy and an MT. Truggies have a very simple drivetrain (single speed; center diff; no tranny) and are designed to be modular for quick tear-down. MTs have a 2-speed tranny with lots of moving parts. But a truggy isn't as well suited to bashing as it has lower ground clearance, which is great on the track.

One of the guys that I occasionally race against makes a kit of sorts that "muggifies" an LST2. If I recall, It's a collection of Losi-made Muggy parts plus a custom rear shock plate/wing mount. It apparently improves the handling of the LST2 alot and gives the Revo a run for it's money and can still be raced in the MT class. www.dppracing.com is the guy's website.

The Muggy itself is a good compromise for a "bashable" truggy, but since it has to be raced in the truggy class, it's pretty much out-classed by the more race-specific models like the Losi 8T, Mugen MBX5T, Kyosho ST-RR, etc.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

From the nitro trucks I've had, imo the LST2 & the MGT are the easiest ones to break in & keep tuned right. I have bashed the crap out of them & have only broken a couple of arms from hitting curbs. That is from letting my buddy's drive them. I let them sit for a while & never had a problem getting them started when I go to run them again.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

For a first nitro rc you want a Traxxas.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I agree with dirk379, the Mantis is a great first starter nitro. A friend of mine has one and loves it, and it was his first nitro.
procraft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #15
I joined the Band!

if i was u i would go with traxxas, eather the revo 3.3 or the t-maxx. both trucks are tuff and have plenty aftermarket parts, dont forget the ez start. + everyone makes parts for the tmaxx, you can basicly get any part off of a t-maxx in plastic, blue, red, silver, or carbon fibor.
rockdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

My first nitro truck was a Savage .25, the only reason i went with it was because everyone said they are one of the toughest bashing trucks you can find and they didnt lie to me on that one, that thing has seenair time up to 10 feet and still i havent broken anything.

if i was you, i would either choose the revo or the savage,the revo if you want to race or the savage if you want to all out bash the fire out of it.

just my .02
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #17