Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: HPI E-Firestorm, Who's tried it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default HPI E-Firestorm, Who's tried it?

Has anyone tried the HPI E-Firestorm? It looks durable. I was thinking of it with the CC Sidewinder/5700 BL and a set of the new Proline Badlands on Axial Beadlocks. I loved my T-4 BL but it wasnt very durable. Any thoughts on this new truck?
thanks
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Let me know how it works out!
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I've been debating on it or the Rustler. I have a HPI Savage and it's very durable out of the box. From videos I've seen, its looks very durable. A guy at the LHS said he's seen one at the track and they seem to handle better than the rustler. Let us know how it is if you get one.
procraft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I sell them...very durable the E and the Nitro Firestorm....its HPI. No complaints from any customer yet!
FinishLineRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by procraft98 View Post
I've been debating on it or the Rustler. I have a HPI Savage and it's very durable out of the box. From videos I've seen, its looks very durable. A guy at the LHS said he's seen one at the track and they seem to handle better than the rustler. Let us know how it is if you get one.
IMO the Rustler suspension geomertry is very dated. I handled an E-Firestorm and it looks state of the art minus some of the usual goodies, Alum shocks, titanium turnbuckles, etc.... Dont get me wrond the Rustler is solid and has stood the test of time. Ill be getting one next week and hucking all of the stock electronics out the window
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I finally got er running and holy crap this thing is awesome. The 5700 motor on 11.1 volts is amazing! The Firestorm is built very well, its kinda like a Associated T4 on steroids. Beefy everywhere. Ill get some pics up soon.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sweet - very nice to hear that.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I'd be interested in seeing those pics...as many as you can post & close-ups would be very nice.

I too am looking right now for a 1/10 elec. I was going to go for the Rustler VXL, but have also been looking at the E-Firestorm. I just have to decide now whether I want a 2WD truck or a 4WD buggy like the B44 or the Cyclone D4.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Here are some pics, i am very pleased with this truck so far. It handles alot like my T-4 but is much more durable

Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have to admit that I am most suprised by the shocks. I just assumed that I would replace them immediately because they are plastic but they are really beefy too. Lighter oil is in order but the springs seem about right. And they dont leak The tranny is full metal gears with a spring tension gear diff that provides some resistance kinda like a ball unit but stronger with no maintinence and is tunable with silicone oil. I also exchanged the left and right rear A-arms wich gave about 1/2 inch longer wheelbase for stability. Did I mention, its FAST
Old 02-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Are those the stock rear dogbones? Those look beefy
Old 02-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Are those the stock rear dogbones? Those look beefy
Yup, I would like some CVD's or universals because the stock dogbones get ejected when you pop off a ball end
Old 02-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Yup, I would like some CVD's or universals because the stock dogbones get ejected when you pop off a ball end
Is there room to use captured rod ends in lieu of the cap and ball? I hate those "cup and ball" tricks
Old 02-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Is there room to use captured rod ends in lieu of the cap and ball? I hate those "cup and ball" tricks
Yeah, in fact thats what i did on the rear inners. I snapped one of the balls off in the first 3 min of running. Funny the T-4 had the same weak spot but on it I used some Lundsford titanium jobs. The captured ball seems to be alot stronger than stock. I have taken several full speed cartwheels with no other damage so far
Old 02-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hey Chris is it still running or broken lol? I got my maxamp battery, gps'd the rustler at 54mph without changing the gearing. I know it'll go faster but that speed's a little unsettling to me already! Time to race?!
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Hey Chris is it still running or broken lol? I got my maxamp battery, gps'd the rustler at 54mph without changing the gearing. I know it'll go faster but that speed's a little unsettling to me already! Time to race?!
Ill start by making excuses I think I may have damaged the motor. I overheated it to 230 degrees which is bad from what ive heard. I have noticed a slight loss of power but I am not sure if its that or the latest firmware that I downloaded from Castle. I overheated the motor and got the latest software at the same time so i am not sure what the problem is. It should still be fast enough to smoke that ol Rusty
Old 03-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Geared up the rusty to the 28 tooth it came with, gps'd it at 59mph, I let off a little early tho, not enough room where I was at That's way too fast!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Geared up the rusty to the 28 tooth it came with, gps'd it at 59mph, I let off a little early tho, not enough room where I was at That's way too fast!
Have you checked your motor temp? I think mine has slowed after overheating it.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I don't have a temp gun but haven't noticed it being excessively hot. After hearing that tho I'm thinking about buying the optional little cooling fan for the esc maybe? Aren't those brushless motors easy to rebuild at least?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I think the Castle motors like i have are sealed and not to be opened except by Castle. I need to send mine in for repair, its 50.00 to get it fixed. now i need to figure out how to gear it lower. Ive got the smallest pinion on it that will fit. I need a bigger spur but no one has em in stock yet