Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: My mini LST strips gears like crazy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My mini LST strips gears like crazy?

ever since i got a mini lst, all i do is replace pinion gears and diff gears like crazy. i even bought the viscous metal conversion, but the planetary gears were still plastic, so that was a 50 dollar rip off, atleast i got metal pinions out of the deal; so i bought off ebay(still on the way) a set of front and rear lockers, which i dont mind posi front and rear cuz im a crawler anyway, and i have the locker spool for the center already so this is my last try to fix this little truck. any one who has had simmilar diff problems, i would appriciate your feedback on what you think.

:-( thanks, Nathan
BRUSHLESSAX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSHLESSAX10 View Post
ever since i got a mini lst, all i do is replace pinion gears and diff gears like crazy. i even bought the viscous metal conversion, but the planetary gears were still plastic, so that was a 50 dollar rip off, atleast i got metal pinions out of the deal; so i bought off ebay(still on the way) a set of front and rear lockers, which i dont mind posi front and rear cuz im a crawler anyway, and i have the locker spool for the center already so this is my last try to fix this little truck. any one who has had simmilar diff problems, i would appriciate your feedback on what you think.

:-( thanks, Nathan
The Mini LST, and all it's subsequent releeased variations are the biggest POS rc I've ever owned and I've been in rc since the mid 80's! It's a poor design made in China with low quality metals and loose tolerances. I tried for a year and a half to fix all the problems....diff gears, wheels, cvds, stub axles, steering sloppiness and wandering, glitchy stock radio, etc.....finally sold it on the bay after dumping several hundred and alot of fab time into it. Good luck to ya.

Maybe this'll help ya, lots of modifications to do to get it running good...
http://www.one18th.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=198

Last edited by Natedog; 02-09-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Yeah, you need to lock them with the alloy lockers and get rid of those plastic spiders. This will obviously get rid of the last of the plastic and they'll end up way stronger.

It's funny, I bashed mine pretty good as the stock MLST with a brushless combo and I never had any problems with the diffs. I've since disassembled it and the axle assemblies are now under my 1.9 crawler. I did the upgrade to the steel R&P and the alloy lockers and they spin like butta now.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
The Mini LST, and all it's subsequent releeased variations are the biggest POS rc I've ever owned and I've been in rc since the mid 80's! It's a poor design made in China with low quality metals and loose tolerances. I tried for a year and a half to fix all the problems....diff gears, wheels, cvds, stub axles, steering sloppiness and wandering, glitchy stock radio, etc.....finally sold it on the bay after dumping several hundred and alot of fab time into it. Good luck to ya.

Maybe this'll help ya, lots of modifications to do to get it running good...
http://www.one18th.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=198
^X2
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Anybody have a link to the diff lockers and center spool ?
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X3

PIECE OF JUNK. This was by far the sloppiest, most rattling piece of junk Ive ever owned. I sold mine after 2 runs.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Anybody have a link to the diff lockers and center spool ?
Diff locker:http://www.killerhobbies.com/items/l...25x-detail.htm
Center spool:http://www.killerhobbies.com/items/l...38x-detail.htm

And also if you're interested:

Steel pinion gear:http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...-Pinion/Detail
Metal R&P:http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...al-Diff/Detail
Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I Agree, I Have Had Alot Of Problems With The Mini Lst, But For Some Reason I Am Determined To Get It Going. My Diff Lockers Should Be Waiting For Me At Home Today, So Ill Try Again. I Have A Few Different Trucks But I Just Love Seeing That Thing Rip A Wheelie And Smoke A Mini T.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

one word VISICOUS DIFFS
aftershock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftershock1 View Post
one word VISICOUS DIFFS
That's actually two words :-P
Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
I've since disassembled it and the axle assemblies are now under my 1.9 crawler.
link?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
link?
New Build...Mini LST Based Crawler
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i never got my locker spools. they are on back order. after 2 weeks of waiting the guy refunds my money and says he cant get them. atleast i got my 20 bucks back. i guess the mini lst can chill on the shelf a while longer.

its crawler time ............ and i just put a sidewinder and 5700 motor in my rustler too............it freakin screams.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #14
tru
Rock Stacker

you i got vis. diff but you have to change out the orings with better one cause they will blow. i used alum shims in place of the orings and i had to shim and reshim the r&p to gett the right backlash. butt he best bet is to get the steel r&p fromt he mlst 2 the are like $14 i thnk and people have been getting better results from them.
tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
you i got vis. diff but you have to change out the orings with better one cause they will blow. i used alum shims in place of the orings and i had to shim and reshim the r&p to gett the right backlash. butt he best bet is to get the steel r&p fromt he mlst 2 the are like $14 i thnk and people have been getting better results from them.
X2....don't waste $$$ on the viscuous diffs go straight for the steel ring and pinion setup and shim it all.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
Hell's Gnome

Mini LSTs are scrap. Even with the new dif. I hated mine. The best thing I have seen is to use the axle assy. under the scaler listed in this thread, that looks nice.
LumTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Many people have experienced this problem, and there is a solution:

http://www.one18th.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=losidiffmod

Worth every penny.

Or, you can always go the custom route, here's my TC3 truggy:

Last edited by camel_rc; 03-09-2008 at 03:45 AM.
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have one of these things with a Wriath 7K brushless motor in it..

Dude, simply if your racing/bashing you need to get rid of that center spool. I have the viscous diffs, and I havent killed them yet and all I do is beat this truck to death, and its great. I love the thing, I have only broken one A arm and a shock tower.

I have an MIP center ball diff, which basically ends up on a hard take off going from 90/10 to 50/50 over front/rear. Ill tell ya though with my setup on the 8 cells, if I am cruing at 1/2 speed which is around like 20ish mph and I peg it, she will just BURN the fronts off the truck..

The viscous diffs have a shitty design though, the internal gears ARE strong, but there is a little rubber o-ring that will eventually shred up and make the whole thing suck. I replaced the o-rings with 2 small washers from an axle rebuild kit, me and Carmatic on one18th.com came up with that fix. I dont know if anyone is on that site but my name there is TheArsonist21.

Anyways, I also went MIP CVD's fornt and rear and those made a huge difference!

The one thing I hate is the steering, im going to change that to a 645MG soon.

Other than that, its pretty sick. I have the Mini T slipepr clutch, with a 54T spur and a 24T pinion.. So I have crazy top end and since the motor has a ton of power, tons of torque too. The slipper up top, and the ball diff center stop me from blowing out everything...
PapaGeno21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Default try agian

since i still have the lst.. 2 yrs later... they now make a ton of crap for them as far as diff stuff goes. so agian i just got new cvd's and locker spools front and rear ordered... we shall try agian to fix the little bastard.. if this dont work, i may just AK the shit out of it in my backyard..
Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

so far so good.. 2 packs ran in lst ( not hard ) still good as far as diffs go.. better to drive it easy than not at all... thanks for all the replies guys