Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Waking up an older Stampede with out breaking the bank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #1

Default Waking up an older Stampede with out breaking the bank

We have an older Stampede, xl-5 esc and 12t titan motor. We would like to wake it up some, but I really don't want to drop alot of dough doing so. We already run a 7 cell in it. Would it make much of a dirrerence to just change the motor? If so, what would you sujest? I'd love to switch it to a vxl esc and go brushless, but I can't see droping to much into this older truck. Would just switch the esc do anything? (Then later switching the motor.) Any help would be greatly appriated.
asfasasu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfasasu3 View Post
We have an older Stampede, xl-5 esc and 12t titan motor. We would like to wake it up some, but I really don't want to drop alot of dough doing so. We already run a 7 cell in it. Would it make much of a dirrerence to just change the motor? If so, what would you sujest? I'd love to switch it to a vxl esc and go brushless, but I can't see droping to much into this older truck. Would just switch the esc do anything? (Then later switching the motor.) Any help would be greatly appriated.
Switching the ESC will not help anything out unless you replaced the motor with it. Running 7 cells will wake it up noticeably.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Get a new motor. You can go down to a 15T 540 size. The 12T in it is 550 size, like a silver can. So if you just bought a cheap 19T you'll see a difference. I would keep the XL-5 it's a good ESC.

We used to replace the old 20T stinger motors w/ 27T's and they where faster.
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #4

Our lhs has a Trinity Komodo Dragon 19t he's tried to sell me before. Would that be a good choice for a replacement? Were looking for some more top speed and more bottom end punch. Whatcha think?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I would definitely keep the XL-5, I am running a trinity chromium 16 turn double in one of my rustlers with the XL-5. Its definitely faster and I have had no problems with it.

heres a link to the motor on towerhobbies.com
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #6

In searching for a new motor, I found a great deal for a new Trinity, Speed Gems 2, "Jade" 15 turn. It runs great, but traction is going to be a problem now. Does anyone know anything about these motors? I searched Trinity's site but came up with nothing. It must be either a old style motor, or something very new. I have the package it came in and the replacement brushes and spring #'s, but was wondering what this thing was ment for.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
In searching for a new motor, I found a great deal for a new Trinity, Speed Gems 2, "Jade" 15 turn. It runs great, but traction is going to be a problem now. Does anyone know anything about these motors? I searched Trinity's site but came up with nothing. It must be either a old style motor, or something very new. I have the package it came in and the replacement brushes and spring #'s, but was wondering what this thing was ment for.
I have run a jade in one of my stadium trucks for a while. The speed gems motors are good budget modified motors. I have a couple of the orginal speed gems and have had no problems with them.

I am in the proccess of converting my ruster into a sand buggy, and I will probably run a speed gems motor in it.
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #8

Do you have any idea if this is an old motor that has been sitting on a shelf, or a new product? It really doesn't matter, its in the truck and bringing smiles to my sons face, just curious. It acts like a 2 stoke motorcycle. It will lift the front just barely while taking off, then it will get out about 50 feet and come alive and spin the tires. Were going to drop a tooth or 2 on the pinion as soon as we can and see if it becomes very quick. The only other one I've seen was online at some hobby shop and they were asking 75 bucks for it. (kinda not a budget motor I'd say) I didn't pay half that for ours. So is it really a "budget" motor? I hope it last alot longer than the stockers!!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #9

Over at the Traxxas forums, the Team Orion SV2 Ball Bearing motors are the brushed choice. They are supposed to have good power and the brushes wear slowly. Im pretty sure that the 17 turn will give you better speed and power than the stock 12 turn. Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't really consider a XL-5 'Pede an "old" truck, they have only made the XL-5's for a few years.
BLPede5800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A sidewinder/motor combo is pretty cheap now, under $150. Then you have a kick ass system for any other vehicle too, ESC works great in a crawler as well. You gotta have good batteries though.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #11

The Mamba ESC's look great, I just don't know about spending 150 bucks on a 150 dollar truck, when you can get a new VXL cheaper. (We just bought a S10 thats giving me the same problems)
Like I mentioned, I put the new "Jade" motor in it and it really runs alot better. I just don't know much about this motor and haven't seen to much info on it.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

i used this one on my old rustler before i sold it and i have the same one on a pede right now. if you dont have the cash for brushless this motor with the stock esc and a 7 cell or 8 cell will make the pede move for sure!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/839455.asp
luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I know you said you dont want to drop a bunch of coin but I would go brushless if I were you. Brushed motors wear out fast and the cost adds up quick if you use your rig alot. I would try to find a used Mamba Max first, you can find them for under a $100 in the classifieds. Then you can run that with your brushed motor until your ready to get a brushless motor to replace it.
I had a XXX-T and went through a bunch of brushed motors trying to get it up to speed. I now have a basher Stampede with a Mamba Max 5700 set up in it, the truck is screaming fast with tons of torqued and I have no problems. I run the Pede almost everyday when I get home from work and its flawless, tons of power on tap, not to mention the 30 min run times I get. Once you go brushless you will never look back, its a great investment.
yarddog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
The Mamba ESC's look great, I just don't know about spending 150 bucks on a 150 dollar truck,
Dropping that $150 into your $150 truck will make it run like a $400 truck if your batteries will push whats needed.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote