Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: brushless stampede

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Adilynsdad too!

Default brushless stampede

What is the fastest brushless setup to run in a stampede?
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Go to this page...

http://www.fdc.arizona.edu/drennen/stampede/videos.cfm

He uses BL Hacker C40 8s

Check out the videos:

Track Hacker
Street Hacker: Speed Pede
The Speed Trials: Part I
The Speed Trials: Part II
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Speed Trials 2 was hilarious! Look at those pizza cutters!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Speed Trials 2 was hilarious! Look at those pizza cutters!
Yep those are 2.2 Mashers....
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Not a Stampede, but worth sharing.

http://www.one18th.com/gallery/albums/album01/tbr.avi
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

it depends on what you want to use it for. you want practical speed? you want stupid fast so that you have to watch the heat and you cant bash with it? you want bashable crazy fast?

if you want bashable speed, go with a lehner basic 4200 or 5300 on 6 cells. either will be faster than you have seen. run the basic 4200 on 12 cells and you have crazy fast beast that will overheat fast if your not careful. its pretty cool though.

for another route you could get a feigao 8L, and run it on 12 cells. gear it to the moon and you can bash forever at some crazy speed. for a more flexible motor you could get a 9L, it will run on cheaper cells (it uses more volts and less amps) and you wont have to worry about heat. for aluminum emaxx the 10L would be your best bet. im off track here.

some brushless pointers.
1) the nicer the motor, the better the efficiency. dont believe the numbers that the companies put out. its all smoke and hype. lehner and hacker are the most efficient but feigao will do the job just fine.

2) the faster spinning motors will take more amperage to hit the same speed. it is a trade off on all motors. use more amps and less volts or more volts and less amps?? my emaxx got 20 minute run time on a 9L motor and 12 cheap 3000 batts. you can get too many batteries and have too much weight, but your amp draw would be nill.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I have a Novak 5800 in my Pede and love it! Actually 2 of my friends have bought Pede's because they like mine so much.

I built a wheelie bar for it so I don't destroy my body and now instead of lifting the front tires and eventually flipping over it first lifts the front tires then the REAR tires and rolls only on the wheelie bar until I lower the speed! It's very cool looking!

The price of the Novak 5800 is hard to beat also at $220.00.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #8

my only beef with that system is that your choices are severly limited because of the esc, and the motor is weak compared to any other non-roar motor.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
my only beef with that system is that your choices are severly limited because of the esc, and the motor is weak compared to any other non-roar motor.
What do you mean by limited?

I know it is not the fastest brushless out there but the 5800 is by no means "weak". What non-roar motor are you referring to?

Are you speaking from experience or just what you read?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #10

speaking from experience. i have 5 brushless esc's and 8 brushless motors. i never bought the novak, but i have driven it plenty in my buddies stampede.

what i mean my non-roar legal motors are all the non-sensored motors that i mentioned (hacker, lehner, feigao, mpjet, axi ect..). the novak and lrp and trinity brushless are all sensored designs. you cant use any other motors with them because of that. any non-sensored esc like a shulze, BK, or Hacker esc can run any motor including the novak etc sensored.

the novak is pretty fast compared to brushed motors, but the speed and power difference between them and other available motors is like stock class vs unlimited class power. my stampede will hit 55 easy on 12 cells with a lehner 4200. on 6 cells it runs 20 minutes full tilt at about 40 mph. i gots a gps just to see what kind of speed i was getting.

i loooove brushless. no maintenance, no roar influenced crap in the major market, and more competition to drive down price and drive up power.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #11

Yep like I said the novak is not the fastest brushless out there but it had gobs of torqe and top end equal to about a 12/13 turn motor.

I am not into the whole 55mph+ thing with my RC's. I like to set up coarses onroad or off with cones so I would never actually be able to hit those speeds running like I do.

Novak does have a new brushless ESC that will work on both there brushless motor and brushed motors. But I honestly don't think I will buy another brushed motor for a high speed (not your crazy high speed ) basher again, I love the power, speed, and no maintenance with the brushless motors.

Refresh my memory with the whole sensors and sensorless brushless systems. I read up on it a while ago and don't remember the advantages/disadvantages to each of them.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
Adilynsdad too!

I picked up a Novak 5800 for $167.00. Price was too good to pass up. Should be fast enough for me to go bashing. We have a lot of "sand bars" along the MS river and I mainly want to use it in the sand.Does anyone know what gearing I should start with?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Okay, going a little off topic, but what is the best gear set-up for a 13T motor? I have a 12T pinion and would like to get a larger Spur, but not sure what all fits on the Pede tranny.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #14

braceysdad, for that price i would get one too if i didnt have brushless up the yinyang already. i cant remember what novak said on the gearing. watch the heat closely, and if its too hot go town 2 teeth on the pinion and try again. matter of fact, im totally ignorant when it comes to what gears i use, except i have 8 tooth pinions in the clod.

sensored vs. non-sensored

sensored brushless is an older technology that uses hall effect sensors to detect where a brushless motor is positioned. it is fairly foolproof (not entirely) and it got rid of the old cogging effect that used to make brushless unusable in high torque zero rpm situations.

the newer sensorless programming uses the coils in the motor as sensors. although it is not quite 100% foolproof it does have advantages over sensored. for one you dont have sensors to get dirty or jarred out of calibration. for two the hall effect sensors are extra weight.

the reason that sensorless motors and esc's are better IMO, is that any brushless motor can be run with a sensorless esc. even sensored motors can be run because it doesnt even need the sensors. the sensored esc HAS to have the hall effect sensors installed (with a specified # of resolution points and timing advancement). in other words the sensored esc is very very limited to the motors that it can run (most have proprietary motors bundled with them) . the sensorless esc is virtually unlimited as long as it can handle the wattage requirements.

with the advancement in technology, castle creations new programming has no cogging, and can handle two pole motor rpms up to 260,000 rpm. the mamba maxx controller is brushed too, so it will handle just about ANY motor that we could throw at it.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #15
Adilynsdad too!

Thanks ^^^^