Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Which trophy truck to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Which trophy truck to get?

I have a back order placed for the traxxas car since it was available for pre order, but now i am having second thoughts, will the losi be a better buy? i just don't want to wait for it to finally come out and just be a glorified rustler with a truck body and crappy handling suspension, i already have a bl rustler, don't need 2, any input or ideas are welcomed.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i am in the same boat. ht elhs has a losi there, and the slash should be there soon. i want to see them side by side and in person. i like the slash because its traxxas and therefore tough, but from what i have seen it IS just a rustler with a different body. i am disappointed traxxas didnt do a little more work, like trailing arm susp, etc.
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

My opinion:
The Slash is pretty much a glorified Rustler, it's just got a bigger body and different wheels for a more scale look.

The Losi DT is just a glorified stadium truck with some cool features like the molded roll cage and working lights.

My money will go to the Slash just because it has a much more scale look to it and that's what interests me. Performance wise I'd think the Losi would get the nod.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

also with the losi tho you will be looking at scarce and expensive parts when it breaks. traxxas parts are easy and cheap.
another thing i was considering was the included electronics and their street value or usefullness. the losi does have a "spektrum" radio, and who needs another tq?
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxxjeremy View Post
also with the losi tho you will be looking at scarce and expensive parts when it breaks. traxxas parts are easy and cheap.
another thing i was considering was the included electronics and their street value or usefullness. the losi does have a "spektrum" radio, and who needs another tq?
That is a good point, my LHS is talking about a spec Slash class and they stock tons of Traxxas parts. They have lots of Losi parts too but not near as many.

Good point on the radio too...........
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

AGhhh... i was hoping for you guys to tell me the losi would be a better choice and we would have a heated argument about both cars, but both you guys are right on all counts, so traxxas it is, thanks guys
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxxjeremy View Post
The Losi "spektrum" radio system isn't anything special really. The best part about it is the ability to bind the Rx to a better Spektrum Tx than the POS that comes with it. However, it does have a much better resale value on eBay than the TQ.

However, IMO, the Slash is hands down the winner in the looks dept.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have a Slash on order.

I'm not a Traxxas fan, but the hit a home run w/ the Slash IMO.

It's going to be a huge success and I see Pro Line and others making bodies, tires, wheels, ect... for it.

I personally can't wait for a Silverado body in clear so I can paint up a Monster themed rig!

Losi was close, but missed the mark just a bit.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'd go with the Slash, but I'm a pretty dedicated Traxxas owner with a long time appreciation of the Stampede (which the Slash is more like.)
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

SLASH...................NS
blackcatnastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

cant wait for the aftermarket support!!!!:-D:-D
may have to have 2 one stock and one well.... UNLIMITED!!!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I had the Losi on order after I first saw it... I thought it was a cool looking truck. But when I saw the Slash, I knew I had to have that one. I canceled the order for the Losi, and ordered the Slash.

Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

For those of you that haven't pre-ordered a Slash, it's in stock here:
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...d=TRA5805!1008
Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellyo View Post
For those of you that haven't pre-ordered a Slash, it's in stock here:
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TRA5805!1008

Ultimate does free shipping over $150 so thats $179.95 shipped. I have had good luck with them as well.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Ultimate does free shipping over $150 so thats $179.95 shipped. I have had good luck with them as well.
I've been happy with Ultimate on past orders as well.

I've got one pre-ordered through Tower though for $169.99 shipped, so I can wait a few more days.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I saw the losi truck at the lhs today. The lights will sell soooo many of those trucks. It is the same as a speed t internally. The traxxas truck appears to have a different chassis than a rustler. It looks more like an e-maxx chassis,I know that dose not make sense, just from the partial shot you can see on the website. The tranny is the same, but I have not compared the parts lists or exploded views to see what else they share.
It helped that the guy at the lhs was dropping in a traxxas brushless w/ checkpoint li-po. Love at first site. I like the squared body and exposed skeleton on the losi too. I will have to see the traxxas in person before I decide if covering the tires is more sexy. Again, the lights on the losi are just way too cool.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Just took a closer look at both specs (rustler and slash). Ok it looks nothing like an e-maxx chassis, it's just wider to accept the waterproof electric boxes and the servo pokes out the bottom( like a maxx). They share most parts also, only obvious differences are the chassis and the rear arms. Slash is a lot longer, 2" in wheelbase and almost 5" over all.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Personally, in the looks department, I think the Losi wins hands down. Yes, the Slash is scale looking, but still looks fugly to me.

Having said that, I'll still likely get the Slash. Mostly because I have a crap load of Stampede/Rustler/Bandit spare parts that are likely compatible with the Slash. There's also a ton of upgrade parts (e.g., RPM, and all the Traxxas aluminum) already on the market. Not so sure this is the case for the Losi, but it is a great looking truck!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:21 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I see a lot of places is starting a slash racing class. Will the let the losi race in this class also. It would be great to see them race each other and see which did the best.
tinycrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #20
Who's your Daddy-0!

I just got my Losi today and it is FUN! I'm going brushless as soon as I can get up and go to the LHS in the morning. And drop a MM ESC in as well. I'll post some video up tomorrow night..... Out of the box it handles awesome! It eats 5ft jumps and begs for more! The lights are truly something in the dark. Bright as hell! And it's nice to keep up with the truck when it's 200ft away! The tires work well, I've seen people asking about them as crawler tires.....I'd say nope....Scale 2.2 maybe? Anywho, I'll post more up on it tonight......
Attached Images

TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote