Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Broke down, bought a Slash... Haven't seen anyone do this though...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Broke down, bought a Slash... Haven't seen anyone do this though...

Check this out! 1.9 Moabs. I think they look great! To get the fronts to not rub I removed the upper control link screw, flipped it around (so the nut was now towards the rear of the truck) and sanded the caster block down just a hair. Free spinning full lock either way. What is nice is that the offset is right too. I didn't change either the front or rear hex, everything is stock.

I will get back to you all tonight on how it drives. The tires are about 1/4 shorter than stock, so I should be quicker off the line, just slower top end. Depending on how the traction goes and how well the tires hold up, I will put in the larger pinion and give that a shot.

Last edited by Trikster; 03-18-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Not to be a dick, but there is a reason no one has done that. The tires are WAY too soft!!!! They will rip off the first time you drive it on concrete. They will fold over even in the dirt. Not a very good dirt tire either!

They do look good though!
spot me 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot me 2 View Post
Not to be a dick, but there is a reason no one has done that. The tires are WAY too soft!!!! They will rip off the first time you drive it on concrete. They will fold over even in the dirt. Not a very good dirt tire either!

They do look good though!
Not to be a dick but have you ever heard of foam?
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing View Post
Not to be a dick but have you ever heard of foam?
Yes, I think even with the foams they will be to soft. Just my .02. By the side wall bending in the rear tire, I think the foams are too soft.
He said he would let us now how it turned out. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Last edited by spot me 2; 07-13-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes, I think even with the foams they will be to soft. Just my .02. By the side wall bending in the rear tire, I think the foams are too soft.
He said he would let us now how it turned out. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
Glad to disappoint you. They worked FANTASTIC on dirt. Hard pack to loose baseball field dirt. On pavement, there was so much traction that full throttle forward barely spun the tires. If I turned sharp enough at speed, I would flip. As to foam, these tires were off my crawler and didn't have any foams. Three hours of hard driving did split some of the cuts, but nothing that could not be repaired. As hard as I was driving today I was pulling the seams at the bead as well, so all things considered, the tires did extremely well.

On the other hand, the HPI wheels didn't hold up too well to the power. I blew one hex on the rear drivers side. The Traxxas hex was fine, but the wheels hex was completely rounded out and melted.

Up until the failure, I was completely smoking another stock Slash (the only thing different between our cars is the tires, everything else is exactly the same). On the hard dirt both stock and the Moabs fared about the same. In the loose baseball diamond dirt, I spanked him like a red-headed step child. We did a race around the bases and at each 90 degree turn, I could hold more speed through the turn and have a lot more control through the turn. My buddy would have to slow down a lot or risk spinning out. A drag race on this same surface resulted in me being 10 feet in front of him by the time we crossed first base.

So all in all, the wheels and tires were a huge success for the type of terrain I was on today. Foams I think would be a large help as in higher traction areas, you could see the tire pulling one way or the other in a hard turn.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster View Post
Glad to disappoint you. They worked FANTASTIC
Not disapointed, Just really surprised! I had a set of reduced moabs on my crawler. I ran them with and without foams. It a snails pace the tire would almost fold of the rim. I'm glad they worked out for you.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not disapointed, Just really surprised! I had a set of reduced moabs on my crawler. I ran them with and without foams. It a snails pace the tire would almost fold of the rim. I'm glad they worked out for you.
centrifugal force can be your friend, unless you are running a fast brushless and 3s+ power. Then it becomes your enemy as your tires balloon.