Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: My Slash mods....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My Slash mods....

I only have a couple of pics right now, but will post up more when I get some tonight....

First mod was a CC Sidewinder & 4600 brushless, MaxAmps 4000mAh LiPo.

Next - after I busted the front end hitting a curb......
RPM A arms (F&R), Proline steering blocks/stub axle carrier (F&R), T-Maxx big bore shocks up front, tires and wheels - Proline Dirt Hawgs & rims. I had to move the rear shocks out back because the proline A arms have the shocks mount behind the arms.

Other mods;
Front lift, about 1". Working on the rear lift and changing the shock mounts to the top of the stub axle carriers.
If you look carefully at the front end picture, look at the degree shims. You can see where I took off about a 1/16" notch for the shim to clear the A arm. That is where I got 1" of lift out of it and at least 3/4" more wheel travel when coupled with the big bore shocks.

Last edited by Mule; 08-12-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i like the mods so far ....nice job....how you liking the sidewinder/4600 combo ??...what gearing are you running ??any heat issues?? I'm ordering the same combo so any advice would be greatly appreciated ...thanks
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I like the 4600 combo, I run it on my Losi desert racer too. I use two stick on copper "computer" heat sinks on the end of the motor and it helps. I haven't checked the temp, I know, bad thing.... But, I have run several packs through it and no issues. A couple of the packs were 3 cell LiPos, but most of the time it's a 2 cell 4000 mAh pack from MaxAmps. I have an 87/29 setup.

I'm trying to figure out the rear suspension right now. I was going to put the Rustler/Pede RPM shock tower on it, but it's not the same. I'm working on that today and hope to try it out at a track this afternoon.

My Rx unit seems to be crapping out on me. I lost one of the CH1 ports on it so far and nothing works today..

So here is what I did with the back.
I took the RPM shock mount and cut the bottom off. It sandwiches the body mount between it and the old shock mount. I ran long screws through the shock - through the new mount and to the old mount. The holes for the old shock mounting point don't line up with the new ones, so the long screw/old mount acts as a bump stop for the top of the shock. I also used fuel line in the top shock cap to give it a little more flex.

Last edited by Mule; 08-14-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Any pics on the rear end? I would like to see how you made your shocks work. I to tryed this mod and could not get the rear to work out. So the rpm rear shock tower is not the same? is it the same for the nitro ruster? I found out after I bought the rpm rear arms that the slash uses the nito arms not the electric ones. Pics would help me out. Thank you and I like the wheel tire combo
RockSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Two more.
The back shock tower setup - close up. You can also see the TLT servo mount that bolts perfectly on top of the old ESC spot.

The front setup close up. Notice the notches in the caster block that gives me the extra lift/clearance. The T-Maxx big bores fit perfectly and handle 100% better than the shorter stock shocks. I'm looking at some Duratrax, Losi or more big bore rears today. Something else I forgot to mention is the lower caster block pins have to be changed to use the larger Rustler ones. The Slash ones are about 1/2 the size of the Rustler ones and so the new RPM arms have bigger holes. I drilled the plastic out a bit on the block and it fits tight enough that I don't need E clips to hold them in.

Last edited by Mule; 08-14-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had to clearance the adjuster slot for the motor to get the 29 tooth pinion in there. I have a bigger spur gear too (I think a 92), but haven't tried it yet. It will take more clearancing on the motor adjuster slot to get it to fit, but no big deal, there is still plenty of room for the motor can to move.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I have an 87/29 setup.

really cool thread

how about an update.

how are you liking the tires any rubbing im geared 90/14 right now with the 7700 kv brushless and a mamba on a 2s 5400mah.
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have issues with wheelies when it catches traction. The back tires hit the inner body some on hard landings and corners, but is livable. The RPM stuff is perfect. I have spun the rear bumper around on occasions hitting the back end, but nothing has broken. The tires balloon but don't tear off the rims and handle fairly well on pavement. I just try not to drive on it though....

Since I cut off some of the stock bigbore springs, it rides and handles better, the new shock mount in the rear helped give me more travel and a bit of lift.

One thing I noticed is the after market bigbore shock spring kit won't help much on the front. The softest springs are harder than the stock ones and longer too. I may have got the wrong kit though.
I like the 4600 motor too, the battery lasts a lot longer than with my 7700 on my 4x4 touring car and is more controllable on the dirt.

Oh yeah, I'm going to try a 90 tooth spur out....

Last edited by Mule; 08-25-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Heads up....
87+29= smoked Sidewinder and 3/4 functional Mamba Max! Too much heat!
The sidewinder just quit and the MM to my amazement started smoking, the beeps stopped working BUT, it still works.

I'm backing off to a 18 or so range pinion.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

thats why i bought a temp gun ! gearing and motor determine your heat level and you were geared waaaaaaaaaaay to high for your motor.
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Heads up....
87+29= smoked Sidewinder and 3/4 functional Mamba Max! Too much heat!
The sidewinder just quit and the MM to my amazement started smoking, the beeps stopped working BUT, it still works.

I'm backing off to a 18 or so range pinion.
you will notice it will go just as fast and be quicker off the line with this gearing
jc052685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I knew it was running hot, but I kept forgetting to bring the temp gun along...... Oh well, good learning oops.