Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Slash Shock Cap Problems...Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Slash Shock Cap Problems...Suggestions?

After a few months of bashing, I have finally started popping the shock caps off the rear shocks. I have looked around on here and googled different stuff about it, but I figured I would go right to the source. What is the best thing to do about this problem? Aluminum shock caps? New shocks? What do ya'll think?
txrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You could use either Traxxas 2667 aluminum Big Bore caps ($7.00 retail) or just upgrade to the Traxxas 2662 Big Bore shocks ($30.00 retail).
BJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

When the caps started popping on mine I went straight for Traxxas' Big Bore shocks. The alloy shock are far smoother and I've never popped a cap running them on my e-maxx. Well worth the extra cash.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

I to went right with the big bore shocks after blowing shock caps on a regular basis. I have had zero problems with them, high recomended.
Lawlessjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #5

one of my shocks is doing that also i guess ill have to buy some big bore shocks too.
SPiDA WEBBiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

traxxas just released new shocks for the slash.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Forgot about that, IIRC they already have the variable rate springs in the pack!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I went with just the aluminum caps and it fixed it on mine. I am running a 5700kv and took it off a 6 foot dirt bank. It'll bend a shaft but the top don;t pop off.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
I went with just the aluminum caps and it fixed it on mine. I am running a 5700kv and took it off a 6 foot dirt bank. It'll bend a shaft but the top don;t pop off.
Same fix for mine and I have had no more issues. I am running a 7700 and 2 cell lipo.
bnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i had the same problem rear shock caps pulling off. i simply screwed it back on, and took a zip tie and went around the cap where the threads are. never ever had a problem again. problem fixed for .01c and in about 1 minute
and im pretty sure i jump my slash further than just about anyone here. has held up perfect, never failed again.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
im pretty sure i jump my slash further than just about anyone here. has held up perfect, never failed again.
Do you have video proof?? I would like to see it!
bnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
i had the same problem rear shock caps pulling off. i simply screwed it back on, and took a zip tie and went around the cap where the threads are. never ever had a problem again. problem fixed for .01c and in about 1 minute
and im pretty sure i jump my slash further than just about anyone here. has held up perfect, never failed again.
On level pavement, I have done 63 feet... Have you gone further? LOL! I have done the above mod, the aluminum shock caps and the Big Bores (on different vehicles). The BB have the smoothest action and hold up best overall. The Al shock caps cut into the bladders and one shock seized because of it. The zip-tie one is a good one. Did that on my T-Maxx when I first got it. Used 2 per cap and put a drop of thick CA to hold the zip tie in place on the cap.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster View Post
On level pavement, I have done 63 feet... Have you gone further? LOL! I have done the above mod, the aluminum shock caps and the Big Bores (on different vehicles). The BB have the smoothest action and hold up best overall. The Al shock caps cut into the bladders and one shock seized because of it. The zip-tie one is a good one. Did that on my T-Maxx when I first got it. Used 2 per cap and put a drop of thick CA to hold the zip tie in place on the cap.
if that was done with speed up area, and landing area on the same level then youve got me beat.

point still applies though a .02c zip tie is a great fix.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Suck it up!

I have done alot of things to punish the plastic shocks on my Maxx, and never once blown a cap.

I've bent rods and rod ends, even snapped shock mounts. Once I sheared the entire left front suspension off and never spilled a drop of fluid, even with both shock rods bent back 90*.

Are you sure you're not overfilling them?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
if that was done with speed up area, and landing area on the same level then youve got me beat.

point still applies though a .02c zip tie is a great fix.
My CHP buddy radar'ed me at 62mph when I hit my ramp. First pass I got hung up in a willow tree, second pass, did a few flips and when we measured it out from first impact to ramp, 61.5 feet. Wont do that again, was expensive to fix.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #16
RCC Addict

My ramp was nicer than this one and I got a full speed run on the ramp before I hit it.. Went about as high as this guy, but twice as far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2qJblce2E
Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I have done alot of things to punish the plastic shocks on my Maxx, and never once blown a cap.

I've bent rods and rod ends, even snapped shock mounts. Once I sheared the entire left front suspension off and never spilled a drop of fluid, even with both shock rods bent back 90*.

Are you sure you're not overfilling them?
We might be the odd men out here, I've seen lots of people who've broken, blown, or just plain mangles their shocks at work. I've only popped one and that was on an old BB that I had on my Pede after going to the VXL. It flipped over onto a curb and the force of that corner being pushed all the way to full droop actually stripped the threads on both the cap and body
Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #18
Like a boss...

Alot of what causes the shock caps to pop is the amount of flex the the stock shock towers have. It's great for durability but they flex so much that it will pull/pop the caps off.

My advice is try a stiff shock tower, doesn't have to be all out aluminum. The RPM ones work great.

Will help your problem a bunch.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:43 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

The integy ms9r piggybacks are working well for me, If you go this route thou I would recomend you use your stock springs and Invest in aluminum turnbuckles.
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The only time I've popped a cap off of a stock Slash shock was done by airing straight into a 4x4 about 4 feet off the deck at full throttle, trying to clear a double at a local track made for 1:8th nitro buggies. I filled it back up and threaded the cap back on and was back on the track in 15 minutes.

Other than the shock cap popping off, nothing else was damaged. I could'nt believe it, after watching it fully T-bone a 4x4 dead-on. These trucks are tough!

I don't know about the shock towers. I think the inherent flex is one factor that makes the truck as durable as it is. But there has to be some negative impact on the suspension geometry. Flex is good when absorbing an impact, flex is bad when you're trying to keep all the suspension components lined up and functioning smoothly. Im on the fence about buying a pair of fancy aluminum shock towers, cause I typically crash my Slashes pretty hard.

I switched to some Integy piggybacks on the one Slash I've modded out. They look a lot better, but I'm not real sure if they're much of a performance enhancement...

Last edited by Big Mike; 03-20-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote