Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Associated mgt 3.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
RRP

Default Associated mgt 3.0

I just picked up an associated mini MGT 3.0 today. This is my first nitro RC. I am going to fire it up sunday for the first time. Anyone have any tips or things I shoud look for ?
RRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP View Post
I just picked up an associated mini MGT 3.0 today. This is my first nitro RC. I am going to fire it up sunday for the first time. Anyone have any tips or things I shoud look for ?
how much was it?
xDamianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Just follow the instructions for break-in, making sure you have fuel splatter coming out of the pipe. Have spare glow plugs on hand. Heat the engine up with a heat gun or at least a hair dryer and try to get it to at least 160 degrees (preferably closer to 180-190) before cranking it. It's much easier on the engine that way and it will start much easier.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
RRP

thanks, I paid $214 from my local hobby shop. Plus he had a special if you bough any nitro vehicle you got a quart of fuel for free.
RRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP View Post
thanks, I paid $214 from my local hobby shop. Plus he had a special if you bough any nitro vehicle you got a quart of fuel for free.
lucky
xDamianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Nitros can be frustrating, but with a little experience they are pretty easy to fool with.

A few things to help you out. Always, Always make sure your battery in your glow igniter is good. Sometimes it will make the plug look hot, but its just not enough to start the motor. I have probably torn up many pull start because of either this, or a bad glow plug. If the engine has compression, and you are getting fuel into the carb, then it will start if the plug is hot.

When you first get it, I would take the plug out and drop 3 or 4 drops of after run oil, or 3 in 1 oil in my case, down into the cylinder and then a few into the carb opening, and then crank the motor with the plug out slowly 3 or 4 revolutions. This will work in the oil a little and get everything lubed up enough for the intial start up. Otherwise you have no lube in the motor until it gets fuel.

Make sure the motor is primed before you start cranking. Some people plug the exhaust and crank the motor to get the fuel to the carb. You can do that, or pull the pressure hose off the pipe and blow into it. I always watch and when i see just a little bit come out inside the carb, I stop blowing. You dont want to flood it, just get enough to it so it will start.

Be patient with the break in. Youll likely burn a couple glow plugs, and it will probably stall some, but keep it rich, and run it around, leaning a small amount each tank until break in is done.

Its really pretty simple, and not nearly as intimidating after the first time. That truck is a steal for that price, and im sure you will love it!
cummins driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I had a MMGT 3.0 for my son, nice little truck. My recommendation would be to threadlock the grub screws on the center drivelines and the differential outputs. On the bigger trucks AE used threaded pins but the MMGT only uses grubs. Do it now while the truck is still clean and save a lot of headache. Also pick up a primer bulb for the Monster GT from your hobby shop. Helps to prime the motor before you start pulling.

The 3.0 is a SWEET little motor. Not the most powerful in the world but I'd set it a little on the rich side (med. smoke trail) and it wouldn't stall and my son (8yrs old) could run tank after tank without having to mess wth it.

John
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote