Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Tamiya DF-03 Buggy or 1/16 Slash for 4WD Basher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Tamiya DF-03 Buggy or 1/16 Slash for 4WD Basher

Just a question for guys with a little more experience than me.

I have 2 TLT crawlers, a CC-01, a VMG, TC3, and a Slash. I have also owned a Rustler, Raze, XTM Xcellerator, and a HPI RS4 Rally so now you know where my experience comes from.

I have gotten pretty good and building and working on RC's and now I want a good 4WD basher. I had fun with the Raze until it blew up. I sold off the chassis for parts but still have the radio gear. When I bought my Slash I converted it to brushless so I have a RX/TX, ESC, Motor, and Servo.

When I saw the new 1/16 Slash I thought I knew what I wanted and then I made teh mistake of playing around on the net. Based on Tower Hobbies prices I can get a 1/16 Slash for about $265 and it would be brushless or I could get a Tamiya Df-03 Buggy and throw my electronics in it for about $160. That would save me around 100 bucks.

Pro's, Con's, Comments, or Suggestions? What you guys got? What am I not thinking about? Thanks in advance!
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I will be getting a 1/16 slash when they come out. I also own a Tamiya DB01 and it is one of the strongest RC's I own. The DF03 doesn't handle as good as the DB01 but is just as tough. Tamiya makes some bomber stuff for sure. I have a 4600kv motor in the DB01

another good basher suggestion might be the wheely king? cheap, tough, 4WD?
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I really loved my DF03s but if I had the choice now I would go for the 1/16 Slash. It looks much more robust and I find it hard to say no to any CORR style truck.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Wheely Kings roll too easily. I kinda like the scale stuff too.

Anyone ever order from www.rocousa.com? They have the DF-03 Keen Hawk for $113.70 plus shipping.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have, they have a lot of tamiya stuff in stock, i have been into there shop in miami, fl. I've had pretty good experience with their shipping, not sure on their customer service as so far i never had an issue before
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #6

Did you ever think about the 1/10th Slash or some other 1/10th stadium or monster truck. It's hard to beat a 1/10th scale 4WD monster truck for bashing!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Did you ever think about the 1/10th Slash or some other 1/10th stadium or monster truck. It's hard to beat a 1/10th scale 4WD monster truck for bashing!
In my original post I listed what I own including a 1/10 Slash. I want something 4wd to bash with. I want something that doesn't roll over at every turn that is why I was looking at the buggies. I love my 1/10 slash I just want something 4wd.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
In my original post I listed what I own including a 1/10 Slash. I want something 4wd to bash with. I want something that doesn't roll over at every turn that is why I was looking at the buggies. I love my 1/10 slash I just want something 4wd.
Sorry I was at work when I posted that comment so I only had a chance to skim over your post. My bad!

There are lots of lower monster trucks that won't roll over "at ever turn". I myself am waiting to get a 1/16th Slash or eRevo!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

No prob Jato! I often check the forum at work.

The only 4x4 monster truck I have experience with is the Wheely King and it is not only a wheely king but a barrell roll king as well.

What would be some good 4x4 monsters to look into?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

one word....Savage
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
No prob Jato! I often check the forum at work.

The only 4x4 monster truck I have experience with is the Wheely King and it is not only a wheely king but a barrell roll king as well.

What would be some good 4x4 monsters to look into?
What about the Revo? It's expensive, but it's lower and designed to handle at racing speeds. There is also the T-Maxx which is cheaper, but still very fun. That will roll, but I don't remember it being a problem unless you're on something very grippy like asphalt.

Or that would be E-Revo and E-Maxx if you want electric!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

the only problem ive found with the df is the body is tight and can cause overheating problems,and electronic placement with big escs.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the good info guys. I am still weighing options but will probably just get a 1/16 Slash. I was thinking the same as someone already mentioned maybe do a rally car, baja, or mini backslash. The price aint bad for RTR brushless 4wd.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I've got a df-03 with a MM5700. It friggin flies on lipo. Like a poster above said - the body is tight, but I've never had an overheating problem. You just have to make sure your esc will fit. The Mamba is as close as it gets. The 5700 was a bit of a pain to fit in the motor slot because of it's external motor case screws. I did finally get it in though.

The main things I've had to replace are shock towers, and the parts that hold the arm shafts.
bassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote